Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

vredstein tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was checking Consumerreports and for some reason Vreidstein Wintrac Pro scored 78 on winter tire performance test the next best was like 70pts (a lot of others in that range) Anybody have real life experience with them - thinking about trying to source them for my RWD M3

I was checking Consumerreports and for some reason Vreidstein Wintrac Pro scored 78 on winter tire performance test the next best was like 70pts (a lot of others in that range) Anybody have real life experience with them - thinking about trying to source them for my RWD M3

TireRack.com shows Vredesntein tires choices in only summer, all-season, and off-road categories.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/vredestein-tires.jsp

Discount Tire does not carry them at all.
Where were you planning to source them?

If I were you (and I am shopping for winter wheels+tires myself), I would buy the best tire in your desired winter tire category.
For me, I'm going with the best "Studless Ice & Snow" tire option - Michelin X-Ice Xi3:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?clearSize=true&type=W&VT=C

No knowledge, but don't forget that cold temps are going to knock 30% off your range. Don't let the tires also kill the range

Tires are for connecting your car to the road, ideally with maximum traction for maximum safety and performance.
Trying to earn a few miles of range at the expense of safety and performance is a fool's errand.

a

Reactions: holmgang
Traction, safety, performance AND range — you can have it all: its known as “Hakkapeliitta R3s” (and, no, I don’t work for Nokian but I do buy their tires even after a loooong history with Pilot Alpins and Blizzaks). I will be buying a set for the P3D in the coming weeks. Long live Nokian Tires (available at Discount Tire but, alas, not Tirerack). Good luck with your choice. Truth is, just mounting a winter-specific tire is 80% of the battle...

Reactions: KenC
Traction, safety, performance AND range — you can have it all: its known as “Hakkapeliitta R3s” (and, no, I don’t work for Nokian but I do buy their tires even after a loooong history with Pilot Alpins and Blizzaks). I will be buying a set for the P3D in the coming weeks. Long live Nokian Tires (available at Discount Tire but, alas, not Tirerack). Good luck with your choice. Truth is, just mounting a winter-specific tire is 80% of the battle...

I completely agree with Nokian winter tires. I’ve use Nokian Hakka SUV, R2, R3, WRG3, Hakka 8 studded and Hakka 9 studded and they’ve all performed and exceeded expectations.

I’ve tried other winter tires from Gislaved Nordfrost, Pirelli Sottozeroes, Blizzaks, Hankook iPikes, and Michelin XIce and nothing compares to the grip of Nokians.

^^^This.

And, IMO, stay away from the Tesla-spec’d Sottozeros—they seem to perform in the bottom tier of like-minded rubber.

The Sottozero 3 seem to be pretty good tire. They give up a little bit in deep snow to the Blizzaks and xIce, but they seem to do better with wet roads, clear roads, and in between conditions. Unless you’re driving in uncleared snow a lot 60%+ of the time, I would want the better tire on dry and wet roads that can still handle snow and ice.

You can slow down in the snow and take it easy, but as soon as those roads start melting and are wet people seem to go right back up to speed. When it’s 36F out and wet, knowing I have the better tire makes me feel safe.

TireRack.com shows Vredesntein tires choices in only summer, all-season, and off-road categories.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/vredestein-tires.jsp

Discount Tire does not carry them at all.
Where were you planning to source them?

If I were you (and I am shopping for winter wheels+tires myself), I would buy the best tire in your desired winter tire category.
For me, I'm going with the best "Studless Ice & Snow" tire option - Michelin X-Ice Xi3:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?clearSize=true&type=W&VT=C

Tires are for connecting your car to the road, ideally with maximum traction for maximum safety and performance.
Trying to earn a few miles of range at the expense of safety and performance is a fool's errand.

a
While the Quatrac 5 is in the all-season category, it is in that group with the Michelin CrossClimate+, where the tires are winter-tire approved, they have the 3Peak Mountain Snowflake designation, so that you can use them in Provinces that require snow tires, like Quebec or BC.

• Informative
Reactions: TonyJag
These CRs findings which is why I was interested in the wintertrac pro but I haven't been able to source them.

They are in the "Performance / WInter" Category - not sure if scores are relative between all tires....
In any case, I find CR fairly if not very reliable for most things.

Attachments

• winter.PNG
    winter.PNG
    115.7 KB · Views: 149
  • perfwinter.PNG
    perfwinter.PNG
    104.8 KB · Views: 106