Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait! All Model 3 RWD LR will increase to 325 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3AD9243C-1C32-4280-AD71-E7969896DCFF.png
5EEC68CE-1FFC-4BE9-92CE-BF2A668C787F.png

Reactions: follow.johnny
AC6A26F7-8FB7-4533-9D3E-E5F832B6897A.jpeg
That was my gut reaction but the conf call transcript indicates otherwise.
Not really, it just says “firmware improvements”, which is really just a throw-away phrase. It means nothing. If they actually found a way to improve efficiency by 5%, 1) they’d want to take credit for it explicitly and 2) it would be applicable to the other cars.

The only possible scenario that I see, other than a simple recalibration of rated miles, is if they initially limited the LRR cars to 72kWh and now feel confident to increase them to 75kWh. This is plausible. We know people reported 72kWh usable and I think some feel the AWD cars have access to 75kWh. So it’s possible all the LR cars would now have access to the same 75kWh.

Reactions: SammichLover
View attachment 382465 Not really, it just says “firmware improvements”, which is really just a throw-away phrase. It means nothing. If they actually found a way to improve efficiency by 5%, 1) they’d want to take credit for it explicitly and 2) it would be applicable to the other cars.

The only possible scenario that I see, other than a simple recalibration of rated miles, is if they initially limited the LRR cars to 72kWh and now feel confident to increase them to 75kWh. This is plausible. We know people reported 72kWh usable and I think some feel the AWD cars have access to 75kWh. So it’s possible all the LR cars would now have access to the same 75kWh.

YOu missed the relevant part:

Elon Musk:

[00:19:42]

Well we...We do find ways over time and have done this many times in the past where we are able to improve the efficiency of say of the drive inverter or the motor or we get a bit more comfortable with what how much energy you can extract safely from the battery pack without causing it long term harm. And so as we get more road validation and we are we're able to find optimizations and a feel a bit [inaudible] widening the margins. And that's I mean we're just we're just update the car and make it better for free.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: EinSV and Dave EV
Yep, missed that, thanks. Unfortunately it’s not definitive about what they’ve actually done to get the LRR to 325 now. It just says what they’ve done in the past.

I’ll still suggest that if they’ve done anything, it’s making 75kWh usable across all LR cars.

It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure this out. Some of the extra battery reserve capacity has been enabled for use.

It makes no sense that Tesla would just change the software to make 310 read 325, the watts per mile is the watts per mile and that isn't going to change if you drive it the same way.

It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure this out. Some of the extra battery reserve capacity has been enabled for use.

It makes no sense that Tesla would just change the software to make 310 read 325, the watts per mile is the watts per mile and that isn't going to change if you drive it the same way.
This is true. If they don't open up the usable capacity, you won't be able to actually drive further.

However, we know that the LR RWD car has always had a higher MPGe than the LR AWD car from the EPA. We also know that Tesla voluntarily lowered the EPA range of the LR RWD car so that it would have the same 310 mile EPA range as the LR AWD car. So, the assertion that Tesla will ONLY change the Wh/mi constant used to calculate the range number from the SOC is reasonable.

Model 3 EPA Comp.jpg

However, we know that the LR RWD car has always had a higher MPGe than the LR AWD car from the EPA. We also know that Tesla voluntarily lowered the EPA range of the LR RWD car so that it would have the same 310 mile EPA range as the LR AWD car. So, the assertion that Tesla will ONLY change the Wh/mi constant used to calculate the range number from the SOC is reasonable.
Exactly. Both the LR RWD and AWD have the same 310 mile bar on the screen. Yet, somehow, the LR RWD consistently runs at 10-20% better efficiency (wh / mile) than the AWD and can drive 10-20% farther than the AWD on the same “310 mile” charge.

Might be a dumb question but are the current specs advertised online at Tesla.com including the 5% boost? For example, LR RWD is listed at 5.0 secs for 0-60. Is that with the 5%? If so, I’m guessing you get that on March 15 at the earliest?
Yes. Edit: Unclear.

Currently, the LR RWD has a 0-60 of ~5.1s without rollout.

Last edited:
If they don't open up the usable capacity, you won't be able to actually drive further.

I guess you didn't read what Elon actually said:

"...we are able to improve the efficiency of say of the drive inverter or the motor or we get a bit more comfortable with what how much energy you can extract safely from the battery pack without causing it long term harm."

If you reprogram the drive inverter to increase the efficiency then you can increase the range without increasing the useable capacity of the battery pack. The fact that they are increasing the power by 5% at the same time leads me to believe they figured out a way to drive the inverter more efficiently both under high loads and regular loads. That would translate to a range increase as well as a power increase, potentially without drawing any harder from the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
I guess you didn't read what Elon actually said:

"...we are able to improve the efficiency of say of the drive inverter or the motor or we get a bit more comfortable with what how much energy you can extract safely from the battery pack without causing it long term harm."
Elon gave those as examples. Those examples may or may not have anything to do with the LR RWD. For all we know, they relate to the new SR models. It is a FACT that the LR RWD, today, is already at least 10% more efficient than the AWD model despite having the same 310 mile bar.

Last edited:
Elon gave those as examples. Those examples may or may not have anything to do with the LR RWD. For all we know, they relate to the new SR models. It is a FACT that the LR RWD, today, is already at least 10% more efficient than the AWD model despite having the same 310 mile bar.

I know but Miimura claimed if they don't open up the useable range of the battery you can't drive any further.

That is demostratably false. It remains to be seen if our range will actually improve with the update but I think there's a good chance. They may achieve it with a bit of both, we just don't know yet.

Ingineerix YouTubes have shown that new M3s have about a 77.5 kwh battery that was expected to degrade a few percent the first six months. That degradation might not be occuring. We have not heard of much battery degradation on the forum other than winter. It is really hard to measure battery charge or capacity to a few percent. I carefully measured my wh/m from 40 to 70 mph a day after I got my M3 last summer. It appears to be using several percent less now, particularly at higher speeds. When it warms up to 93 again I'll do another controlled test which should be at about 10,000 miles.

• Informative
Reactions: BobAbooey