Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait... more Autopilot features...or FSD features?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If these features are as "useful" as Navigate on Autopilot (i.e. barely works in somewhat dense traffic, makes erratic lane change decisions and sometimes tries to drive me into a ditch where it thinks the exit is) I can do well without them. TACC and (to a lesser degree) Autosteer are useful stress reliefs in some situations, but nannying these pseudo-autonomous features causes more stress than driving yourself. I wish they'd work on making the system more reliable rather than rolling out more half-baked features.

I wish they'd work on making the system more reliable rather than rolling out more half-baked features.

But it's not like those two things are mutually exclusive. Elon isn't telling the team to not work on improving existing features (they are) to focus on delivering new ones - they are just slowly adding to the capabilities of the car and giving you access to them as early as possible (in Beta sometimes) which is awesome in my opinion.

I'd much rather have access to some super cool technology like my car driving itself and stopping at a red light 12 months early with the caveat that it works 80% of the time rather than waiting 12 more months to make it perfect. You shouldn't view these features as something that will work ALL of the time and are a driver convenience tool - rather its more of an amazing technology demonstrator and you're paying to be one of the first to use it (but that's just my opinion).

Of course Nav on Autopilot is in the early stages, they only recently starting using all of the cameras which is a massive change in the system. I can't wait to see what is possible with HW3 in 2019.

I'd much rather have access to some super cool technology like my car driving itself and stopping at a red light 12 months early with the caveat that it works 80% of the time rather than waiting 12 more months to make it perfect.
I love tech as much as anyone else here on the forums and have beta tested various apps but, in my opinion, I’d want the tech that stops itself at stop signs and red lights to work 100% of the time. Even if that means I have to wait a little for it to be perfected. Imagine only stopping for red lights or stop signs only 80% of the time?

actually it seems like you did the right thing by buying FSD upfront as this update requires FSD and the new chip that needs to be replaced per Musk.

I wonder how much they would charge us for upgrading to FSD from EAP...does anyone know?

Imagine only stopping for red lights or stop signs only 80% of the time?

Yea that's why they should build in something to the UI so you can tell when the car recognizes a red light and if it doesn't start to slow down then you can take over, just like using autopilot for other things. But again i'm very OK with being a beta tester and understand that i couldn't rely on those features without paying full attention.

Reactions: MarkS22
actually it seems like you did the right thing by buying FSD upfront as this update requires FSD and the new chip that needs to be replaced per Musk.

I wonder how much they would charge us for upgrading to FSD from EAP...does anyone know?

We don’t know. With FSD no longer being an option they are free to price it as they please. When there are actual FSD only features and the new chip I think we are looking at 5k easy.

I agree. I’ll be happy though with the new HW 3.0 upgrade at no cost to FSD purchasers.
it has to be.
We don’t know. With FSD no longer being an option they are free to price it as they please. When there are actual FSD only features and the new chip I think we are looking at 5k easy.

well when I ordered the car, it said that buying FSD afterwards would be 4K or 5K, can't remember which. So at least for the owners that got the car at that time, they have to honor that price.

well when I ordered the car, it said that buying FSD afterwards would be 4K or 5K, can't remember which. So at least for the owners that got the car at that time, they have to honor that price.

Me too. I'm going to buy it at that price in 2025 since, as you say, they have to honor that price... :rolleyes:

In reality, and at law, any offer can be withdrawn before acceptance.

Only in Tesla's world is FSD not really FSD. In Tesla's world, I guess someone can also be a little pregnant. It's too bad words have different meanings in Tesla's world from that in the dictionary. If they dropped the "F" then perhaps. But I say "F" you to Tesla for not knowing what "full" actually means!

But it's not like those two things are mutually exclusive. Elon isn't telling the team to not work on improving existing features (they are) to focus on delivering new ones - they are just slowly adding to the capabilities of the car and giving you access to them as early as possible (in Beta sometimes) which is awesome in my opinion.
I'm not so sure about this. Sometimes I suspect that they prioritize features that were promised for a long time due to market pressures, at the expense of stability and reliability of existing features, just so they can check the boxes. Navigate on Autopilot feels exactly like that.
I'd much rather have access to some super cool technology like my car driving itself and stopping at a red light 12 months early with the caveat that it works 80% of the time rather than waiting 12 more months to make it perfect.
Seriously? Stopping at a red light 80% of the time? I can already see it:

- 100 feet from the intersection: "Hm, the light just jumped to yellow. Wonder if the car will recognize it?"
- 50 feet: "Hm, still going 45mph. Cross traffic is starting to move. What is it doing?".
- 30 feet: "Shiiiiiiii..."
You shouldn't view these features as something that will work ALL of the time and are a driver convenience tool - rather its more of an amazing technology demonstrator and you're paying to be one of the first to use it (but that's just my opinion).
I'd rather leave the technology demonstrations to non-public roads where nobody gets hurt if it fails.

Reactions: C141medic
If these features are as "useful" as Navigate on Autopilot (i.e. barely works in somewhat dense traffic, makes erratic lane change decisions and sometimes tries to drive me into a ditch where it thinks the exit is) I can do well without them. TACC and (to a lesser degree) Autosteer are useful stress reliefs in some situations, but nannying these pseudo-autonomous features causes more stress than driving yourself. I wish they'd work on making the system more reliable rather than rolling out more half-baked features.

I only use AP when there's not much traffic. For me, the biggest scare has been when the road bends.

Going through a bend if the car in the other lane moves closer to the lane line, I've come within what feels like a few inches of sideswiping.

TACC I have found to be much more reliable.

I'd much rather have access to some super cool technology like my car driving itself and stopping at a red light 12 months early with the caveat that it works 80% of the time rather than waiting 12 more months to make it perfect. You shouldn't view these features as something that will work ALL of the time and are a driver convenience tool - rather its more of an amazing technology demonstrator and you're paying to be one of the first to use it (but that's just my opinion).

Of course Nav on Autopilot is in the early stages, they only recently starting using all of the cameras which is a massive change in the system. I can't wait to see what is possible with HW3 in 2019.

The discussion isn't about how early the features come out. Its about what platform the features belong to.

Now I do understand that Tesla's Autopilot should outshine other car manufacturers' versions of autopilot...but.... it appears that FSD is only going to be a feature or two away from EAP.

it has to be.

You are exactly right when you quoted Tesla.

Any idea on which feature is going to be worth the 4K or 5K? Its getting down to be just a few features left - as it stands right now because there won't be much left to develop once the car can recognize signs and lights. If EAP can do everything....then what is the price of FSD worth?

Now I do understand that Tesla's Autopilot should outshine other car manufacturers' versions of autopilot...but.... it appears that FSD is only going to be a feature or two away from EAP.

Do you expect them to release FSD and it be 10x better than EAP immediately? This conversation is definitely about how early features come out. Tesla is choosing to slowly roll out FSD with additional features over time instead of waiting 2 years to release something that is substantially different from EAP.

Any idea on which feature is going to be worth the 4K or 5K? Its getting down to be just a few features as it stands right now because there won't be much left once the car can recognize signs and lights. If EAP can do everything....then what is the price of FSD worth?

Don't be so short-sighted, they will clearly add features in the coming months/years.

Do you expect them to release FSD and it be 10x better than EAP immediately? This conversation is definitely about how early features come out. Tesla is choosing to slowly roll out FSD with additional features over time instead of waiting 2 years to release something that is substantially different from EAP.

Don't be so short-sighted, they will clearly add features in the coming months/years.
No I don't expect them to release FSD being 10x better than EAP.....especially since I didn't say that.

What has Tesla rolled out to FSD so far? Rolling out nothing yet..is indeed slow.

If FSD was free - then they could roll it out as slowly as they want.

1 year ago it was stated by Tesla and people of this forum that FSD features will soon be rolling out in a few months...…..

insert crickets chirping sound here...….

Reactions: C141medic
I'd rather leave the technology demonstrations to non-public roads where nobody gets hurt if it fails.
Then you're free to do so, today. I don't see the debate here. Those of us who are happy to beta test the new stuff are doing so. Those who are not happy to do so, need not. I don't use NoA with passengers in the car, for example, because it's a bit jerky right now (similar to how EAP was in Spring 2018) and for the sake of both passenger comfort and Tesla marketing, I don't want passengers to experience the current state of NoA. I expect that will change within a couple of months, based on the pace at which Spring 2018's version of EAP improved.