Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait... more Autopilot features...or FSD features?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then you're free to do so, today. I don't see the debate here. Those of us who are happy to beta test the new stuff are doing so. Those who are not happy to do so, need not.
The obvious problem with that line of thinking is that you are potentially also putting other people at risk who did not agree to beta tests of immature technology on public roads. This kind of thing should be left to trained professionals.

The obvious problem with that line of thinking is that you are potentially also putting other people at risk who did not agree to beta tests of immature technology on public roads. This kind of thing should be left to trained professionals.

You talk like once you enable EAP, you are forced to sit back and do nothing. It's pretty trivial to stay as alert as if you were in full manual control and see how the car performs autonomously in your area. This is my default mode of operating the car whenever I've tried out EAP on local roads. It definitely has tough times handling some conditions, and I've had to override a lot. I anticipate the same thing when the car attempts intersections autonomously. I'm still responsible for the car and will make sure I'm not endangering other people's lives.

So, my take is that all these new features are part of EAP and is still level 2 in quality. At some point when the NN is smart enough for level 4, having HW3 will let you enjoy these same features at level 4, while people with only EAP will still have these features but at level 2.

You talk like once you enable EAP, you are forced to sit back and do nothing. It's pretty trivial to stay as alert as if you were in full manual control and see how the car performs autonomously in your area. This is my default mode of operating the car whenever I've tried out EAP on local roads. It definitely has tough times handling some conditions, and I've had to override a lot. I anticipate the same thing when the car attempts intersections autonomously. I'm still responsible for the car and will make sure I'm not endangering other people's lives.

So, my take is that all these new features are part of EAP and is still level 2 in quality. At some point when the NN is smart enough for level 4, having HW3 will let you enjoy these same features at level 4, while people with only EAP will still have these features but at level 2.

This is exactly how I did it at first. Turn the EAP on and keep driving. It times I wouldn't even be sure who's driving unless I check if the EAP has turned off... Turns out that more often than not EAP did very well. There're times when EAP does not do as well I but even in most of those cases it might do well enough anyway. But you still need to take over from time to time and understanding the limitations of EAP helps to anticipate that need and prevent the unnecessary stress.

You are exactly right when you quoted Tesla.

Any idea on which feature is going to be worth the 4K or 5K? Its getting down to be just a few features left - as it stands right now because there won't be much left to develop once the car can recognize signs and lights. If EAP can do everything....then what is the price of FSD worth?

Did you just not read any reply to you?

The described new features are FSD, not EAP, per Elon himself.

1. Geir Halvor Haugen‏ @ghhaugen 8h8 hours ago
    Is this part og EAP or does it require FSD?

3 replies3 retweets52 likes
Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk
Replying to @ghhaugen
Full self-driving option is required with the Tesla designed hardware 3 computer. This is a simple plug in replacement for the NVidia computer, but has over 10X the image processing ability.

EAP is highway only (officially). It's on ramp to off ramp (which drive on nav brings us) plus the simpler version of summon (private property in driver sight only).

That's all it's ever been claimed to be.

Everything else is FSD.

Reactions: Jedi2155
I'll only be happy if we get something to take advantage of the new computer. The computer on its own will add nothing, it's like upgrading multi-socket Xeon workstation to run Notepad: If you've already got the performance to do what it offers now, more power adds nothing.

If the computer added nothing it seems pretty unlikely they'd have bothered spending the $ to develop it, and then retrofit it into every FSD car on the road, plus every new car built once it's ready to go.

I'll only be happy if we get something to take advantage of the new computer. The computer on its own will add nothing, it's like upgrading multi-socket Xeon workstation to run Notepad: If you've already got the performance to do what it offers now, more power adds nothing.

Maybe the new computer will bring some FSD applications because the current computers won't be able to handle it.

00351241-CD46-495C-A5BC-258A5DD8DEAC.jpeg
I love tech as much as anyone else here on the forums and have beta tested various apps but, in my opinion, I’d want the tech that stops itself at stop signs and red lights to work 100% of the time. Even if that means I have to wait a little for it to be perfected. Imagine only stopping for red lights or stop signs only 80% of the time?

There are lights in Orange County that can only be seen 12 feet or closer in the day. I hit my brakes today because I couldn’t tell if it was green or red. The lights are okay at night though. These lights looks like they have anti privacy screen on them. They are black when not lit.

I hope EAP can see them because I can’t.

Last edited:
View attachment 359719

There are lights in Orange County that can only be seen 12 feet or closer in the day. I hit my brakes today because I couldn’t tell if it was green or red. The lights are okay at night though. These lights looks like they have anti privacy screen on them. They are black when not lit.

How does it look on your dashcam video? Camera sensors see different than our eyes so it might pick it up better.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
This is exactly how I did it at first. Turn the EAP on and keep driving. It times I wouldn't even be sure who's driving unless I check if the EAP has turned off... Turns out that more often than not EAP did very well. There're times when EAP does not do as well I but even in most of those cases it might do well enough anyway. But you still need to take over from time to time and understanding the limitations of EAP helps to anticipate that need and prevent the unnecessary stress.
Yeah, until the day comes when EAP/FSD can dodge potholes and a 2x4 lying in the road as well as I can, I'll continue to be as vigilant as ever when driving. Not paying attention right now when EAP is activated would be a recipe for a flat tire or bent rim pretty darn quickly where I live.

View attachment 359719

FYI - these are normally installed on the lights when there are multiple intersections close together. It prevents drivers from mistakingly looking at the lights for an intersection behind the nearest one. In theory they are calibrated (angled) so that as soon as you pass through the current intersection you are able to see the lights for the next one. I would assume EAP would handle them the same way as a human driver: "Oh s**t, that light's red" *slams on brakes*

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic