Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk away lock "Exclude Home" distance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else get an update to 2020.24.6.9 still running into this problem? Accord to Teslascope, almost 50% of the fleet is on 2020.24+ which introduced this functionality, but it's strange nobody else is noticing the car staying unlocked when parked a little bit away from home.
Yes, I am noticing as well on model Y. Car stays unlocked down the street!

going to try and delete and renter my home address.

Glad to find this thread. I am still seeing the same issue with 2020.32.3. My Model 3 stays unlocked even when parked at a grocery store about 0.3 miles away. And if I go into the relevant settings screen while at the grocery store, it shows the message that auto-lock won't be used at this location, as if I were parked at home.

Can anyone confirm that erasing and resetting the home location fixed this problem for them?

I tried the double scroll wheel with brake reset and moved the car to the furthest parking spot at the grocery store and the car still would not lock.

I suppose with nobody else confirming that "Exclude Home" keeps the car unlocked even outside on the street vs garage, maybe I should schedule a service appointment to check things out.
I’m having same issue. Parked 5 cars down street from house and doesn’t lock. Had to turn it off until fix!

Yes, this problem persists. My inlaws live about 5 houses down from us -- the car does not lock when parked in their driveway. I really wish they would decrease the proximity for this setting. I'd much rather have this malfunction by locking the car than the other way around (which it currently does, leaving the car unlocked a few blocks from our house).

Anyone else get an update to 2020.24.6.9 still running into this problem? Accord to Teslascope, almost 50% of the fleet is on 2020.24+ which introduced this functionality, but it's strange nobody else is noticing the car staying unlocked when parked a little bit away from home.
It happen to me today. I was at a store lot that was about 500m away from my home. When i walked away, the doors didn't lock. I then turned off "exclude home" at the lot and the doors lock. So it appear the distance from home is quite large. Just wondering if you have any updates on your end?

I called Tesla on this today and spoke with a helpful person. He understood the issue and submitted my request to greatly reduce the radius used for the "Exclude Home" option for the “Walk-Away Door Lock” feature. He mentioned that Tesla has an analytics system that prioritizes such requests based on the frequency of the requests and by using key words. Sounds like a numbers game, so the more people who request this change the better.

If you'd like to add your voice, you may call Tesla at 877-798-3752. This concludes the public service announcement. ;)

I actually have been meaning to ask on exclude home auto lock. My parents are 0.2 miles away. Line of sight. (Down the street) and it does not auto lock when I walk away. Is it because it’s too close or because I have their gate set up in my homelink ? Does it use home link locations as part of “home”

I actually have been meaning to ask on exclude home auto lock. My parents are 0.2 miles away. Line of sight. (Down the street) and it does not auto lock when I walk away. Is it because it’s too close or because I have their gate set up in my homelink ? Does it use home link locations as part of “home”
I think it strictly uses the one address that you've set as "Home" and the straight-line distance from that to where your car is parked. Homelink plays zero role in this as far as I can tell.

If you've set your car's home address to be your home, then the 0.2 miles to your parents' place is within the ~0.31 mile (0.50 km) radius around your house. Therefore, the software incorrectly concludes your car is at home whenever parked at your parent's place or anywhere else in that great big circle around your home. So, it doesn't lock your car if you have the "Exclude Home" option enabled.

Tesla set that huge radius for this calculation in the software. That's why I called them, and you may want to as well. It really needs to be changed to make the "Exclude Home" option work properly when your car isn't really parkedf at home. Welcome to my world! :)

I still have this issue.

Does not lock if exclude home auto lock is turned on when I go to local grocery store.

Any work arounds? Anyone got a solution?

Thinking of using address for house down the street about 100 yards further from grocery store I frequently almost daily; 1/4 mile from my house.

Then it will be a bit further and may arm at the store.

Any issues w putting relatively close address as home? Not exact address?

Last edited: