Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk away lock not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We'll have to do some actual studies, but this, along with a host of other technical issues are really getting on our nerves.

We're going to try using the phone key only for about a week and then try using just the key card only.

We actually had a friend enter our car after we exited the vehicle, she was trying to turn the music off. That was the first time that we noticed that the auto lock wasn't working properly. Every since then, we've noticed that it hasn't worked over a dozen times. No notification or anything, just music playing and the screen stays on...

Very frustrating.

to be fair, it's "walk away lock" not "exit the car lock." it won't actually lock until you walk far enough away that it no longer recognizes the key. just exiting the car and standing next to it isn't good enough, IIRC.

music and the screen staying on with nobody in the car though is a different issue...i've never seen that.

to be fair, it's "walk away lock" not "exit the car lock." it won't actually lock until you walk far enough away that it no longer recognizes the key. just exiting the car and standing next to it isn't good enough, IIRC.

music and the screen staying on with nobody in the car though is a different issue...i've never seen that.

The car has locked on me while standing less than a foot away from the car and about five feet from the driver door.

We'll have to do some actual studies, but this, along with a host of other technical issues are really getting on our nerves.

We're going to try using the phone key only for about a week and then try using just the key card only.

We actually had a friend enter our car after we exited the vehicle, she was trying to turn the music off. That was the first time that we noticed that the auto lock wasn't working properly. Every since then, we've noticed that it hasn't worked over a dozen times. No notification or anything, just music playing and the screen stays on...

Very frustrating.

The music should turn off when all the doors are closed. So maybe you had a door not fully closed.

This was a serious issue for me until I realized my door alignment was off. That made it difficult to close, and the window never rolled up completely. I had to bring it into the shop for a week to get it fixed, but since then I've never had an issue. They also just updated the car's software to chirp when the door locks/unlocks. Before that, I always had to keep on looking back to see if the car locked as I walked away. Check your options to see if that's turned on. But I really wish Tesla put in a locking button on the handle like the Prius.

Reactions: SVMike
We have two iPhone 6's that are rarely (~1/3) able to automatically unlock or lock the doors. Tried deleting them, deleting everything, including a 100% success rate Samsung S8, rebooting the phones, rebooting the car, nada. This happens in the garage, out-and-about, and alone in an empty parking lot, with no discernible pattern. But the iPhones can still start the car and drive off (after unlocking through the app or with the key card).

Frustrating!

I felt the need to start a new thread for this because it is a huge problem and it is not working for me at all. 3 times in the past 3 days when leaving the car and then checking via the app, it reported as still unlocked.

What can I do to try to fix this? I'm at the point where I may need to abandon the phone key and start using the card to lock/unlock every time. I can't keep walking away and leaving my car unlocked, and I can't trust that it will work at this point ..
I have just had £1500 of golf clubs stolen from the boot of my Model 3 because I foolishly relied on my iPhone locking the car when I waked away from the car. Tesla needs to fix this bug immediately. Adam Raphael

• Disagree
Reactions: youngmcdonald
Not locking at all is clearly a bug.

However, being inconsistent in when it locks is probably to be expected. The "phone key" is just about proximity of your bluetooth phone to the bluetooth antennae on the car. You can be near the car but considerably farther from an antenna and see it lock. Moreover, estimating proximity of bluetooth devices is very imprecise. It's just signal power which varies between phones and the orientation of your phone.

And, as a result, I always watch for the mirrors tilting inward as I walk away from the car. Usually happens within about 5 seconds.

Thanks for your Bluetooth explanation. As a new Model 3 owner, I am mystified by what it does and doesn't do. For example, Allow Keyless Driving is an option that I have not selected. Despite this when I approach the car with my iPhone, the Model 3 unlocks and I am able to drive it as soon as I have put in a four letter pin. Why is this? If Allow Keyless Driving is not chosen, I thought that meant the car could only be unlocked and driven with the Tesla RFID card. What is the purpose of the Allow Keyless driving option? I have had a look at the manual, but it doesn't help.

Thanks for your Bluetooth explanation. As a new Model 3 owner, I am mystified by what it does and doesn't do. For example, Allow Keyless Driving is an option that I have not selected. Despite this when I approach the car with my iPhone, the Model 3 unlocks and I am able to drive it as soon as I have put in a four letter pin. Why is this? If Allow Keyless Driving is not chosen, I thought that meant the car could only be unlocked and driven with the Tesla RFID card. What is the purpose of the Allow Keyless driving option? I have had a look at the manual, but it doesn't help.

"Allow keyless Driving" means that you would be allowed to drive the car with NO KEY WHATSOEVER.

What you need to keep in mind is the the Phone-as-a-key and the RFID key are both "keys" so using either is not keyless.

The Allow Keyless Driving feature would be used for something like: You are out of town and you forgot to move your car for street cleaning day. You can call your friend, have them go to your car, you unlock the car via your phone app. At that point your friend, without a key, can enter and drive the car.

Hmm, I didn't remember ever hearing about "keyless driving" so I went to the manual and to my car. In the manual, it seems to talk about "keyless driving" only as it relates to "PIN to drive" and that is listed under "mobile app". I went to the car and can find no "keyless driving" anywhere. I went to the app (on Android Pixel 3A) and see no entry for "keyless driving". Where do you see "keyless driving"?

I see you are in Europe. Maybe that is the difference. I am on 2019.32.2.1 in the US.

On my European Model 3, the Allow Keyless driving option is under the Safety and Security tab right at the bottom which also has another option: Allow Mobile Access which I have selected. I am on 2019.32.2.1. As you may see from my initial post, I have just had £1500 of golf clubs stolen from the boot of my Model 3 because I relied on my iPhone locking the car when I walked away from the car. If this is a bug, and I genuinely think it was not my error, Tesla needs to fix this urgently. I see other Model 3 owners have also complained that the Walk Away lock option does not work consistently.

On my European Model 3, the Allow Keyless driving option is under the Safety and Security tab right at the bottom which also has another option: Allow Mobile Access which I have selected. I am on 2019.32.2.1. As you may see from my initial post, I have just had £1500 of golf clubs stolen from the boot of my Model 3 because I relied on my iPhone locking the car when I walked away from the car. If this is a bug, and I genuinely think it was not my error, Tesla needs to fix this urgently. I see other Model 3 owners have also complained that the Walk Away lock option does not work consistently.

Sitting in my car now in the US also on 2019.32.2.1, selected Safety and Security tab. At the bottom, I have "Allow Mobile Access" selected. Scrolling down as far as I can go, there is no entry for "keyless driving". The only item under "Allow Mobile Access" is the "data sharing" button. Interesting that ours are different.

It's also possible that there is some other setting we have selected differently that results in this. I tried enabling "PIN to drive" because that is related to "keyless driving" (according to the manual) but that didn't cause it to appear. Hmmm.