Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Button Waking up Car Reliably Now - What's changed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my '18 Model 3, I always had to do the rear door handle trick to wake the car up so I could remove the HPWC handle from the charging port.

On my new Y, holding the button on the handle always wakes the car up now after it's slept overnight.

Model 3 used a Gen 2 HPWC, Model Y is on a Gen 3.

Is this new with the vehicle software? Or perhaps the newer charge port ECUs react differently?

The button on my HPWC now reliably unlocks the charger on my 2018 model 3, it never used to. Started working reliably sometime in the last 6-12 months. I assume they fixed it in software.
That's roughly my experience. It used to not work, and when I said so recently ina post, someone on here said I was wrong and suggested I hold the button longer. As long as my phone actually unlocks the car (not a 100% thing), then holding my J1772 button for a 5 or so seconds will then unlock the adapter.

I'm not actually sure that the charger handle button "woke up" the car, but it did unlock the charge port this morning. I had not tried it in ages since I was sure it didn't work. I only heard the HV contactors once I opened a door though. It's possible that they allowed charge port unlocking without actually connecting the HV battery... I'll see if I can remember to test this on my next charge.

I think the charger button does wake up the car. For example, when my Y has been sitting in the garage, and I bring the charger near the port, hold the button, I can see the car wake up, the "thunk" of the HV connectors, and then the port cover opens about 3 seconds later.

Reactions: GtiMart