Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Cord Management

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sdorn

Director of Awesome
Supporting Member
Oct 9, 2016
Georgia
I did a search, but couldn't find much that was on point. I just had a Wall Connector installed with the 24 foot cord. It is mounted on the back of my garage, near the front end of the car. As such, I have to completely unroll it to reach the charge port, and then completely roll it back up when I leave every morning.

My question is how do people typically manage the daily rolling and unrolling of the cord? It is a very thick cord and isn't easily rolled up without binding. I typically end up slowly rolling it and twisting so that it doesn't bind and eventually getting it in somewhat of a rolled up state, then hanging that over the Wall Connector and plugging the end into the holder on the side. It works, but it isn't very attractive and takes a good couple of minutes to do.

Does anyone have an easier / better way of doing this that they've figured out?

Sounds like we have a similar setup - Wall Connector at the front of the car. At first I struggled with the cord but after a few weeks of warm Georgia weather, the cord developed a "memory" and looping it by hand became relatively easy. I just do a couple of big loops and then hook the connector into the wall hanger. During cold weather, the cord gets stiff making it a little uncooperative but the memory doesn't completely fade and I can still loop it as before.

Reactions: sdorn
Wrapping in the manner I noted above allows the cord to coil in it's natural way and it does develop a memory to aid you in this. Plus you can start at the end and coil it towards the hanger and you'll get no binding. You don't need to coil it from the charger. You can go either way.

I recommend starting with the end that goes in your car so you don't drag the plug across the garage floor.

Your only other option is to rig up a system to hang the cord from the ceiling and let it drop down where your charging port is. Not sure if you have enough slack to make this work but others on the forum have done this with some creative systems.

This lets you neatly store your cord, and pull out only as much as you need. Best of all, it's cheap! :)
Amazon.com : Gecko's Toes Water Hose Rack : Air Tool Hose Reels : Patio, Lawn & Garden
We use the smaller version of these to manage the UMC cables (the larger version works for HPWC cables).

We had the 14-50 outlets installed within a few feet of the charge port so we never have to unwind the cable or wind it back up. I just remove the plug and it reaches the car. There's enough slack to easily step over the cable.

This lets you neatly store your cord, and pull out only as much as you need. Best of all, it's cheap! :)
Amazon.com : Gecko's Toes Water Hose Rack : Air Tool Hose Reels : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I ordered this just to see if it helps, but I'm going to work on winding the cord using the method noted above (which I'd seen before but never really go the hang of). Hopefully after I've done it for a few weeks it will get easier and faster to wind and unwind the cord every day.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
I ordered this just to see if it helps, but I'm going to work on winding the cord using the method noted above (which I'd seen before but never really go the hang of). Hopefully after I've done it for a few weeks it will get easier and faster to wind and unwind the cord every day.

Practice with a regular extension cord or rope. You'll get the hang of it. Once you do you'll redo everything at your house so it's wrapped that way. My wife is always like "How come the hose always uncoils so perfectly when you wrap it up and it's a hot mess if I rolled it up?"

I did a search, but couldn't find much that was on point. I just had a Wall Connector installed with the 24 foot cord. It is mounted on the back of my garage, near the front end of the car. As such, I have to completely unroll it to reach the charge port, and then completely roll it back up when I leave every morning.

My question is how do people typically manage the daily rolling and unrolling of the cord? It is a very thick cord and isn't easily rolled up without binding. I typically end up slowly rolling it and twisting so that it doesn't bind and eventually getting it in somewhat of a rolled up state, then hanging that over the Wall Connector and plugging the end into the holder on the side. It works, but it isn't very attractive and takes a good couple of minutes to do.

Does anyone have an easier / better way of doing this that they've figured out?
Sounds like you should have installed it at the rear of the garage ;) ... but it's too late for that now.
Have you considered backing into your garage? The Tesla can do a good job of backing, self parking into a tight garage.