Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector installation and cold weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BillHenn

🚗 '21 Model S LR MSM/Blk/FSD (RN1144) placed 2/8
Feb 19, 2021
Cleveland, OH
Hello, I am getting my first Tesla soon and just received the wall connector gen 3 ahead of time. We were playing with location ideas on where to mount it in the garage. I originally thought placing it on the wall shared with the house interior would be ideal. I have to leave ~4' of space between the wall and the front of car and after extending the cord out, it seems like it will barely reach where the charging port of a Model S would be.

The other place I can mount it is near the garage corner, still inside the garage but on the house's front exterior wall. That would be by the rear of the vehicle when parked and would have no problems reaching the charging port.

My question is this... I live in Cleveland, OH where low temps during the winter can regularly hit close to zero overnight. Will there be any problems with putting the wall charger on an exterior wall and near the garage door itself where it's likely a lot colder, compared to the shared wall with the interior of the house?

Will the charging cable get stiff and brittle from being exposed to more cold in this situation? Or will charging itself be slower?

Thanks for any feedback based on your experience.

Makes no difference at all. TWC and cable is rated for this kind of use. The cable might get stiff when you get down to -60 degrees F, but I guess you have other issues if it gets that cold.

To turn your question around: If you plug in a lamp in a socket located on your external wall in your house, will the light be dimmer than if you plugged it in to a socket on a interior wall?

Reactions: Rocky_H