Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector IP addresses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently installed 2 wall connectors and linked them to power share. I was looking over my network and noticed the primary unit has a 192.168.1.x IP address while the second one has a 192.168.92.2 address. I'm wondering if Tesla does this when I configure power sharing? I don't think my DHCP would hand out an IP like that. I'm confused.

I'd wager that the second one is saying "I want to use 192.168.92.2, tough noogies if I can't get it" because its configured/provisioned for power sharing. The initial connection address for a newly setup HPWC is 192.168.92.1. The power sharing logic is driven by the leader, and it probably knows either "there are N slaves" or just scans 192.168.2.X where X is from 2 to 16 or whatever, or maybe even does a broadcast ping to 192.168.2.255 to see who responds. Another possibility, albeit much less likely, is that the leader actually doles out the slave's IP addresses on its own at boot time.

If you are then wondering "If the leader isn't doling out the IP's, how do the slaves get .2-.X" without stepping on each other." I'd wager that they get their IPs hardcoded during sharing setup and they are stored in NVRAM for restart. Even if that is not the case, there could be an algorithm during startup that says "Hey, is anyone on 192.168.2.2 ?" and if no one responds, it gets claimed. If someone responds, it tries .3 and so on. You'd obviously have to have some timing/delay stuff in there to avoid race conditions.

I think I figured it out. It looks like the subsequent wall connector (followers) connections run through the primary wall connector (leader). They form their own little network to manage the power sharing is my understanding. So the 192.168.92.2 was dished out by the primary wall connector. That is why I can't see the second wall connector on my network but I can see it in the app.

I think something does change when you setup a wall connector as a follower. I've restarted that thing 5 times and it only ever picks up that IP address.

I think I figured it out. It looks like the subsequent wall connector (followers) connections run through the primary wall connector (leader). They form their own little network to manage the power sharing is my understanding. So the 192.168.92.2 was dished out by the primary wall connector. That is why I can't see the second wall connector on my network but I can see it in the app.

I think something does change when you setup a wall connector as a follower. I've restarted that thing 5 times and it only ever picks up that IP address.
That’s interesting.