Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had my wall connector installed in advance of my M3 being delivered within the next few weeks. The setup, while relatively easy, was a little less than convenient. In the future when I want to adjust the settings am I going to have to connect to the chargers wi-fi and navigate to the website where I did the initial setup or can this now be accessed via the tesla app? It is now connected to my wifi so if I want to check on the charger while I am away to let someone else use it can I do that somehow? Or will I always have to be right next to it to make changes?

I tried to check the app but I am not seeing it there which makes me think no...

I've got a Wall connector and a 2022 Model Y. The ONLY setting on the wall connector I think you need be concerned with is the maximum allowed charging current, which should be set to 80% of the circuit breaker it is living under, or 48A, whichever is lower, rounded down.

You don't use that setting to decide what the charging rate is, or when it charges, or ... Your daily control is from the app or from the touch screen of the car.

Of course, if you plan to have multiple chargers, and want to use the capacity sharing stuff, there might be more to it. But I think for the majority use case you can forget the charger itself.

Personal example:
I paid too much for an electrician to upgrade my service and install a 60A breaker for a circuit dedicated to the Wall Connector. On setup, after both the electrician and I were puzzled by the combination of the Tesla instructions, and the slightly different actual behavior, I got it set to the 48A limit.

I manually set the charging rate limit down at 40A. I decided what maximum SOC I want to charge up to and use the slider on either the app or the car screen--usually just leaving it at 80%.

Think of the car, not the charger.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I paid too much for an electrician to upgrade my service and install a 60A breaker for a circuit dedicated to the Wall Connector. On setup, after both the electrician and I were puzzled by the combination of the Tesla instructions, and the slightly different actual behavior, I got it set to the 48A limit.
The electrician should have known that continuous-use circuits(like EV chargers) need to be over-rated by 25%. 48A times 1.25 is 60 amps.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I just had my wall connector installed in advance of my M3 being delivered within the next few weeks. The setup, while relatively easy, was a little less than convenient. In the future when I want to adjust the settings am I going to have to connect to the chargers wi-fi and navigate to the website where I did the initial setup or can this now be accessed via the tesla app? It is now connected to my wifi so if I want to check on the charger while I am away to let someone else use it can I do that somehow? Or will I always have to be right next to it to make changes?

I tried to check the app but I am not seeing it there which makes me think no...
Yes, you can't do anything from the connected-to-wifi part of the HPWC. IIRC, its just a status page now.

OTOH, unless you chose to 'let only Tesla's charge' or given it a whitelist of allowed vehicles, there's really no reason to need to get back into the setup.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Yes, you can't do anything from the connected-to-wifi part of the HPWC. IIRC, its just a status page now.

OTOH, unless you chose to 'let only Tesla's charge' or given it a whitelist of allowed vehicles, there's really no reason to need to get back into the setup.
yeah, the only thing i ever see myself changing is the list of cars that are allowed to charge. I was going to just leave it open to any car but my friends have me paranoid that people are going to try use it when i am not home (even though i live in a quiet neighborhood and have a private driveway).

i was just hoping i would never have to go through that initial set up process again but it seems like i will. very surprised that tesla did not integrate all of this into the main app.

yeah, the only thing i ever see myself changing is the list of cars that are allowed to charge. I was going to just leave it open to any car but my friends have me paranoid that people are going to try use it when i am not home (even though i live in a quiet neighborhood and have a private driveway).
That's a pretty ridiculous notion, and your friends aren't doing you any favors stoking such a false fear. The nature of stealing from someone involves being quick and unnoticed. It's grab and go--get away quickly. Since this hypothetical act of "stealing" would involve sitting there being observed out in the public eye for several hours at a time, risking being caught...it's just not going to happen.

i was just hoping i would never have to go through that initial set up process again but it seems like i will. very surprised that tesla did not integrate all of this into the main app.
Well, you generally won't need to, except once every several years, like if you replace your own car or something, so it's not like it comes up monthly or weekly, where it needs a lot of convenience.

Reactions: dustypooper