Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector WiFi Compatabilty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently installed a Gen 3 in the garage of our new home. Our municipal power company will rebate us $750 towards its purchase and installation. One of the rebate requirements is that the charger must have WiFi so it can feed the power company our usage info OR we have to provide it in some other way if they request it. I called them and they said they aren’t actually asking for this info yet. But they may want to get the info sometime in the future to help plan for EV impacts to the power grid. I told them that from what I read the Tesla Gen 3 has WiFi for commissioning but other features like downloads of usage and consumption are in the future and not available at this time.
My question for this thread is... was that the correct answer that I gave them? Also, is there another source where I could easily provide them my historical time of day and consumption data?

The Gen 3 Wall Connector does not currently have usage reporting. Most likely, it will eventually have that feature since Tesla has stated that they will be implementing usage billing to Destination Charging sites using this same hardware. Tesla has not publicly promised home users that they will have access to usage data. I would not apply for the rebate until this feature is activated. In the meantime, you can probably install and get a rebate for a J1772 unit that does have usage reporting like ChargePoint Home or JuiceBox. You would just have to use the provided Tesla adapter all the time with that kind of station.

Reactions: Rocky_H
The Gen 3 Wall Connector does not currently have usage reporting. Most likely, it will eventually have that feature since Tesla has stated that they will be implementing usage billing to Destination Charging sites using this same hardware. Tesla has not publicly promised home users that they will have access to usage data. I would not apply for the rebate until this feature is activated. In the meantime, you can probably install and get a rebate for a J1772 unit that does have usage reporting like ChargePoint Home or JuiceBox. You would just have to use the provided Tesla adapter all the time with that kind of station.
OP said
OR we have to provide it in some other way if they request it.

I understand your POV but Tesla will have to provide usage data to the EVSE owner participating in the billable program, we just do not know how granular it will be. Of course the utility did not specify a particular granularity. I would be comfortable applying for the grant, and I would give it back if my EVSE failed in the future to provide reasonable data.

I already installed the Gen 3 and plan to “take the money and run” as they say. From the way the utility was talking they are just in the planning stages when it comes to collecting this data. And judging from all the Teslas in my area I won’t be the only person with the same question on harvesting the specific data. I thought some techi on these threads would have an after market software that could provide the same type of info.