Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've ordered a Model 3 and want to use two Tesla Wall Connector EVSEs on a single 100 amp circuit, configured with that current sharing feature that apportions out the available amps based on which vehicle needs charging.

I know I can charge my Roadster with a modern Tesla Wall Connector, but does the Roadster handle the midstream changes in available amps? For example, if both cars are charging, each getting 40A, and the Model 3 finishes charging and the TWC now offers the Roadster the full 80A, will the Roadster; accept that and start charging at its full 70A, ignore the news and just keep charging at 40A, or do something else?

I suspect the Roadster will Do The Right Thing here, but given that the Roadster's implementation of the charging spec is quite early, I'm not sure I can assume that it will.

I assume you are using hsharp's CAN SR roadster adapter to use the S,X,3 type connector which is on the Wall Adapter.

I dont have your setup, but I do vary my OpenEVSE j1772 charger w adapter mid charge and the Roadster handles it without any issues.

I use the WIFI side of OpenEVSE and throttle it up or down depending on other loads and times,

Going from 48 amps down to 10 and back up, didn't phase the Roadster from what I can tell.

The VDS display showed the current it was pulling correctly and it matched what the charger was feeding it. So I'm guessing it should handle it just fine, but YMMV. Let us know how it ACTUALLY works, as I'm sure other users will be looking for the same "SHARING" setup.

Good Luck!

I'll either be using my CAN-SR or, when I get around to it, swapping out the charging cord for a Roadster charging cord (that came off of an original Clipper Creek 72A Roadster charger).

I think your experience varying the available current on your OpenEVSE is a very reliable indicator that the Roadster will handle this just fine.

I'll follow up once everything is installed.

I've had my roadster on a tesla charging station (CAN Sr) thats been shared, it throttled back from 70-40 when another Tesla plugged in and went to 70A afterwards. Another time it did the same but flashed the connection error it sometimes does with the CAN Sr but was still charging at the 70A, I suspect the voltage drop when the other car plugged in was the issue not the amps