Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

want to install charging in my garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Questions: (A) Is 200A home service sufficient? I realize it has to do with the current power load, but I doubt the builder went 100A overboard. (B) Will the car always draw 72A until full or will it recognize available power and adjust? ..concerned about rest of house browning out. (C) Is a 100A sub-panel advisable, or overkill?
A: I have 200 Amp service from Edison and it is sufficient, however I do have a separate meter for the electric vehicles. Edison split the wiring to both panels.
B: No automatic adjustment takes place. You can manually lower the amount of amperage to as low as 5 amps at the touch screen of Model S or X. For overnight, I always lower the amperage. The GPS remembers your last setting at each charge station location.
C: Check with an electrician about the sub-panel. Since a circuit breaker in the main panel would be used for a sub-panel it may not be necessary unless electrical code or city planning requirements dictate that solution. Having an electrician that other electric vehicle owners have recommended would be my suggestion.

The other reason to check with local codes and an electrician when considering a larger than 60 amp circuit breaker installation is the requirement for a cutoff switch near or at the Tesla Wall Connector (HPWC). That switch adds to the cost of installation and the space needed. Check the electrical code requirements in your area.

IMG_3715.jpg

Last edited:
I am in the same boat, waiting for my X. Personally I decided to wait as long as possible before installing the HPWC, just in case it get upgraded or something.

For the price difference, the HPWC is a good choice, and I know I will have electric cars for the rest of my life, so it's installed for a while !

I agree. If you have time to wait, then wait. Tesla may start shipping an upgraded HPWC. The current HPWC isn't ideal in that it generates some unnecessary waste heat while charging. In theory, it could be designed better to reduce its heat dissipation.

Appreciate the insight Mark. Very helpful. I like your charger location too - convenient to either bay. Good thinking!
The right side of the charger is next to a two door opening with a single garage door on the left. The cable can reach all three parking spots. (Some boxes need to be removed. One more task to complete before Model X arrives.)

For the previous 2011 Volt, a J1772 from ChargePoint is on the front wall at the center of the two car space. The cord reaches the Model S and came in handy when the HPWC needed warranty replacement. http://www.chargepoint.com/files/CT500-Data-Sheet.pdf (discontinued - see Home) http://www.chargepoint.com/files/73_001058_01_2_BR_Home_02.pdf

A flush wall mount NEMA 1450 covered socket is on the single parking wall. It exists because of the ease of installation and as a way to test the portable charge cord. Visitors can charge as well. The separate 200 Amp meter panel is almost maxed out with the 40, 50 and 100 amp circuit breakers.

Last edited:
So to summarize (if I have it correct as I am not an electrician either):
Model X has a Single 72 Amp charger onboard
(1) For optimal charging (up to 58mi/hr) and most expensive solution, go with a Tesla HPWC running #3 AWG wire at minimum back to a 100A breaker.
(2) For slightly less optimal charging (29mi/hr) and most cost effective solution, go with a NEMA 14-50 Receptacle running #6 AWG wire at minimum back to a 50A breaker.
(3) For least optimal (3mi/hr) and least costly, just plug into your 120v wall outlet.

Questions:
If choosing option (1) above
(A) Is 200A home service sufficient? I realize it has to do with the current power load, but I doubt the builder went 100A overboard.
(B) Will the car always draw 72A until full or will it recognize available power and adjust? ..concerned about rest of house browning out.
(C) Is a 100A sub-panel advisable, or overkill?
What is approx cost for the option 1?

That's easy to answer, just add up all the costs mentioned at this web page: How Much Do Public And Home EV Charging Stations Really Cost?

Want the fastest install for the money? http://www.lowes.com/pd_242308-82364-CHU1S_1z0xc76__

Look for this at Lowes:
IMG_3089.jpg

Add 10 to 20 dollars for the 50 amp 240 volt circuit breaker and have an electrician install it on the garage wall behind the existing circuit breaker panel if possible.

My cost for the electrician and the parts for an install directly behind the electrical panel in the garage was $180. My electrician found the Eaton lockable RV metal box with the NEMA 14-50 socket included inside to be easy to wire. (It's a lot easier than the HPWC.) I use it at a second home where it is used occasionally.

Hook the portable charge cable that comes with the Tesla EV using the included NEMA 14-50 adapter and enjoy 40 amp charging.

One more solution may work for some who have an unused 240 volt dryer outlet in the garage: Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters NEMA 10-30
If you have the NEMA 10-30 dryer socket, then the adapter is all you need. $45 is a great price to have the ability to get 17 miles of charge per hour.

NEMA_10-30_socket_small.jpg

Last edited:
That's easy to answer, just add up all the costs mentioned at this web page: How Much Do Public And Home EV Charging Stations Really Cost?

Want the fastest install for the money? http://www.lowes.com/pd_242308-82364-CHU1S_1z0xc76__

Look for this at Lowes:
View attachment 97313

Add 10 to 20 dollars for the 50 amp 240 volt circuit breaker and have an electrician install it on the garage wall behind the existing circuit breaker panel if possible.

My cost for the electrician and the parts for an install directly behind the electrical panel in the garage was $180. My electrician found the Eaton lockable RV metal box with the NEMA 14-50 socket included inside to be easy to wire. (It's a lot easier than the HPWC.) I use it at a second home where it is used occasionally.

Hook the portable charge cable that comes with the Tesla EV using the included NEMA 14-50 adapter and enjoy 40 amp charging.

One more solution may work for some who have an unused 240 volt dryer outlet in the garage: Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters NEMA 10-30
If you have the NEMA 10-30 dryer socket, then the adapter is all you need. $45 is a great price to have the ability to get 17 miles of charge per hour.

View attachment 97312
Really great info. Thanks so much for taking the time to type it in here! Question though these seems to be the great answer for his no. 2. If you go no. 1 route, what's costs and what are costs from buying what is needed from Tesla equipment wise?

Really great info. Thanks so much for taking the time to type it in here! Question though these seems to be the great answer for his no. 2. If you go no. 1 route, what's costs and what are costs from buying what is needed from Tesla equipment wise?
I did suggest an answer for the #1 question; the article I suggested to read goes into the detail. That's the problem, the detail. No one can estimate costs unless the homeowner or electrician measures the distances and determines the gauge sizes and wire lengths.

This question has been answered for years in other threads and it all goes back to the unique requirements for each individual installation. Check this thread:

Approximately how much to install 240V in my garage?

Only my bargain installation is easy to estimate. When it comes to installing the Tesla Wall Connector, the sky is the limit when you add in the suggested second meter, possible second panel for extra circuit breakers, huge wire sizes, cutoff switch, conduit to the HPWC location, possible modifications to the home, the city permit fees, the electrician fees and minor rebuilding of the home where the new electrical boxes were installed. Here are some links for HPWC price and some photos of my second meter installation for my first electric car. We knew the Tesla would eventually arrive, so this extra work was engineered for the Model S and the cheaper electric rate from 9 PM to 12 noon.

Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters Wall Connector

Second Meter Install | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:
Thanks Mark Z

Your solution appears to be the simplest and most inexpensive of all I've read and I think I've reviewed the majority of the threads on the subject. In fact, I might install a couple of these-- one inside and one outside of my garage.

Your solution appears to be the simplest and most inexpensive of all I've read and I think I've reviewed the majority of the threads on the subject. In fact, I might install a couple of these-- one inside and one outside of my garage.
It's a good idea to plan for the future now. Instead of installing one HPWC, I recently had two 14-50 outlets installed. Combined with an existing 6-20 outlet, my garage is ready to charge 3 electric vehicles at once. If you count the 5-20 outlets, I could actually handle 4 EVs but I don't think I'll ever be charging 4 vehicles at once.

Look for this at Lowes:
View attachment 97313

View attachment 97312
I'm so confused. :) .. so if I want my x to have the "optimal charging (up to 58mi/hr) and most expensive solution, go with a Tesla HPWC "

One option would have to buy the $2,000 dual charger from tesla as well as the $750 wall connector?

Nobody knows the exact details about Model X charging. There is quite a bit of speculation that the X will not have dual chargers and will only have a single 72A charger. nothing confirmed yet, hopefully we will find out more info soon. the NEMA 14-50 will give you 29 miles/hour charge, which with overnight charging should handle your daily needs. Its a matter of personal preference and if you need the ability to quick charge for longer trips. The HPWC is a cool set up, keeps things nice and neat and you won't need to use your portable charge cable, and it will deliver close to that 58 miles/hour charge that if you so desire. It's just a costlier alternative. Envision your charging habits and daily needs for the car. If you can do with overnight charging, then the NEMA 14-50 will suffice. If you want top end, go with the HPWC.

Another good question I have... what happens in instances when the tesla can't park in the garage. I assume it is best to have at least the nema 14-50 connector on the outside of it? So one could do the wall connector inside and nema outside to cover all basis.

Another good question I have... what happens in instances when the tesla can't park in the garage. I assume it is best to have at least the nema 14-50 connector on the outside of it? So one could do the wall connector inside and nema outside to cover all basis.

That was my rationale for getting two. Also, it could be for a visitor. Having it lockable is also wise, IMO. I am actually toying with the idea of the wall connector inside as well.

Nobody knows the exact details about Model X charging. There is quite a bit of speculation that the X will not have dual chargers and will only have a single 72A charger. nothing confirmed yet, hopefully we will find out more info soon. the NEMA 14-50 will give you 29 miles/hour charge, which with overnight charging should handle your daily needs. Its a matter of personal preference and if you need the ability to quick charge for longer trips. The HPWC is a cool set up, keeps things nice and neat and you won't need to use your portable charge cable, and it will deliver close to that 58 miles/hour charge that if you so desire. It's just a costlier alternative. Envision your charging habits and daily needs for the car. If you can do with overnight charging, then the NEMA 14-50 will suffice. If you want top end, go with the HPWC.

The single 72A charger for Signature models has been confirmed to me, and others, by Tesla. It was also confirmed that the current HPWC will work with Model X.

Otherwise you're spot on in with your advice.

I'm so confused. :) .. so if I want my x to have the "optimal charging (up to 58mi/hr) and most expensive solution, go with a Tesla HPWC "

One option would have to buy the $2,000 dual charger from tesla as well as the $750 wall connector?
Seems we need to take a step back here for a moment. The "charger" itself is actually in the car. So the "dual chargers" you've seen referenced is actually a second charger installed into the Model S at the service center (used to be a factory installed option until they streamlined the builds and pushed it to service centers). The S comes standard with a "charger" rated up to 40amps so the second or "dual charger" allows up to 80amps.

From these kind Sig folks we are learning the Model X is coming with a single "charger" rated up to 72 amps instead of the 40/80 combo offered on the S.

The HPWC (or High Power Wall Connector) is simply a very high power electrical outlet to plug your EV into (Tesla only though!). All these other outlets are lower power and therefore won't allow your S or X to charge as fast. Yes, if you only have the standard single charger in an S and you rig up the HPWC to provide 80amps, the S will only use the 40amps it's charger can handle.

This is the case with all(?) EV's. That being, that the chargers themselves are actually in the car and the fancy connectors hanging from the walls are fancy outlets designed to flow electrons.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha! I guess I could have saved my "breath"! Thanks Beryl! ;-)

Does anyone know if NEMA 14-50 amps charging overnight on a long term basis is better for battery life than HPWC at 72 amps?

So far, I'm preparing for our X by clearing everything out of a 4th single garage we used for storage before. It seems to be the ideal location since the electric meter and 200 amps main service panel is on the other of the wall on the exterior approximately where the X driver's side charge port will be.