Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wanted - Lease TakeOver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, you are being picky. AWD is not a MUST! No need for it really. RWD is perfectly good with Tesla vehicles because of the weight and traction with the direct drive tranny. I had an 85 for three years and drove in the harshest Winter conditions with ice and hills with no problems at all. AWD was put in only because people started complaining that they MUST have it since their Audi's and Benz's had it and threatened to not buy a Tesla unless it was offered. Tesla capitulated to their demands. AWD is just marketing material. The only advantage is that it extends your range a little and under the most extreme conditions, might help out if you got into a sticky situation.
I'm just saying, be happy with a RWD, you won't regret it!

I'm sorry, but looking back on this thread, you already mentioned this back on August 3rd. I think the OP got your point though. LOL :)

• Funny
Reactions: sakimano
Let's try a 2018 bump of this thread

Prefer a short term lease takeover.
  • AWD a Must (still)
  • Must have warranty for remainder of lease (given I think)
  • Model S preferred
  • Looking for most economic takeover, so performance or higher battery not necessary.
  • Prefer Blue/Black
  • If purchasing, MUST have White Vegan Seats - after being in them - I can't not have this. (will also settle for black)
  • If short term lease Black would be fine.
  • Any other options are nice to have but not necessary.
  • I'm in Ontario, but willing to travel anywhere in Canada.
  • All service records, and service up to date
  • Transparency about why your getting rid of it (just don't want a lemon)

Thanks everyone.. looking to get into one ASAP. Returning the RDX soon, or we could swap? 2016 Acura RDX Tech Elite, White with 33,000km.

Do you have a range you are willing to pay? I'm sure some folks leasing might just get out a little early into another Tesla if the numbers line up.

My experience with Tesla leasing is the rates aren't normally that great... resulting in mediocre payments.

Let's try a 2018 bump of this thread

Prefer a short term lease takeover.
  • AWD a Must (still)
  • Must have warranty for remainder of lease (given I think)
  • Model S preferred
  • Looking for most economic takeover, so performance or higher battery not necessary.
  • Prefer Blue/Black
  • If purchasing, MUST have White Vegan Seats - after being in them - I can't not have this. (will also settle for black)
  • If short term lease Black would be fine.
  • Any other options are nice to have but not necessary.
  • I'm in Ontario, but willing to travel anywhere in Canada.
  • All service records, and service up to date
  • Transparency about why your getting rid of it (just don't want a lemon)

Thanks everyone.. looking to get into one ASAP. Returning the RDX soon, or we could swap? 2016 Acura RDX Tech Elite, White with 33,000km.

I see
30000 downpay + 1500+ monthly
Or
5000 down pay + 2500+ monthly
for such takeover

I know there are two Chevy Bolt in stock in a dealer near New market

You should know the answer

Yes, you are being picky. AWD is not a MUST! No need for it really. RWD is perfectly good with Tesla vehicles because of the weight and traction with the direct drive tranny. I had an 85 for three years and drove in the harshest Winter conditions with ice and hills with no problems at all. AWD was put in only because people started complaining that they MUST have it since their Audi's and Benz's had it and threatened to not buy a Tesla unless it was offered. Tesla capitulated to their demands. AWD is just marketing material. The only advantage is that it extends your range a little and under the most extreme conditions, might help out if you got into a sticky situation.
I'm just saying, be happy with a RWD, you won't regret it!

Well, I have to disagree. Once you get stuck, you are stuck. Have on nearly new winter tires, got stuck 4 times two weeks ago and had to dig out each time spending at least 30 min each time. 3 times I had people help push me out. Those are the times I wish I got AWD.

Do you have a range you are willing to pay? I'm sure some folks leasing might just get out a little early into another Tesla if the numbers line up.

My experience with Tesla leasing is the rates aren't normally that great... resulting in mediocre payments.
Yes under/around $1500 with taxes is the goal. @Navsarin had a 2016 S90D Blue on Black for around that price so something like that or a little cheaper/less months is what I'm shooting for. I have a Model 3 reservation, but I'm thinking I'll probably prefer a used S anyways.

Yes under/around $1500 with taxes is the goal. @Navsarin had a 2016 S90D Blue on Black for around that price so something like that or a little cheaper/less months is what I'm shooting for. I have a Model 3 reservation, but I'm thinking I'll probably prefer a used S anyways.

I did yes but that was based on a special lease rate of 1.9% back then and a higher residual value at that time. Currently Tesla’s lease rate is 6% vs the finance rates of 1.79-2.24%....as I imagine they simply don’t want the burden of lease returns.

I did yes but that was based on a special lease rate of 1.9% back then and a higher residual value at that time. Currently Tesla’s lease rate is 6% vs the finance rates of 1.79-2.24%....as I imagine they simply don’t want the burden of lease returns.

You are just one of a kind Nav! I'm really bummed now that I understand more of how great a deal your vehicle was.

So you mean like if the buyout at the end is $50,000 and the Tesla buy back value or market value on Autotrader is $59,000, that's what I should be looking for?
exactly. That's what happened to me.

Your lease payment is comprised of 2 things

1. interest - you're effectively borrowing the full amount of the car for the 3 or 4 year lease term, so they apply a loan rate to the vehicle's value over that period
2. depreciation - not actual depreciation but an estimated depreciation over the life of the lease. Manufacturers often (always?) overestimate depreciation because if it's a walk away lease, it's like a put option that allows you to force the company to take the car back. They're happy to do that if its worth more than the buyback price but if it's not, it means they've taken too little from you in your lease payments.

Tesla priced their leases as if the car would depreciate 50% in 3 years. That's aggressive and makes sense they're protecting themselves in line with #2. Teslas however don't depreciate 50% in 3 years, or anywhere near that. In fact the regular cars (70D, 75D, 100D etc) hold value incredibly well. The PXXD cars don't. That's another story.

So if you lease one from new you'll overpay on the lease, then have some equity in the car at lease end.

If you take over someone's lease after they've (over)paid for 1.5 or 2 years, you'll have their equity in the lease for yourself. At lease end or anytime you buy out the car, you'll be able to use that equity to your advantage on the next car you get.

Teslas however don't depreciate 50% in 3 years, or anywhere near that. In fact the regular cars (70D, 75D, 100D etc) hold value incredibly well. The PXXD cars don't. That's another story.
Why do you say that the P cars don't hold their value? My worry is that Teslas will depreciate faster than "regular" cars because there is still a lot of innovation happening in Teslas. I would discriminate a fair bit between non-AP cars, AP1 and AP2, especially if they get the kinks out of AP2 (or maybe they have already).

Why do you say that the P cars don't hold their value? My worry is that Teslas will depreciate faster than "regular" cars because there is still a lot of innovation happening in Teslas. I would discriminate a fair bit between non-AP cars, AP1 and AP2, especially if they get the kinks out of AP2 (or maybe they have already).
because I just bought one and spent a lot of time looking at the market. I agree the evolution of the newer cars is nice and is a potential hit to the older cars, but that's normal for any car. I'm speaking of the difference of like for like or apples to apples comparisons with respect to teslas of the same vintage (comparing regular to PD cars)

Check the prices of P85D and P90D on the used market. Not asking prices. Selling prices if you can get your hand on a red book.

The 2015 P85D and P90D cars are selling for $85,000-105,000 depending on mileage. Most of them...there are some outliers that sell higher. These are cars that were $150,000-170,000 when they were new 2.5 years ago. That's pretty significant depreciation.

Further, an 85D or a 90D of the same vintage will sell for maybe $10,000 less than the PD car. However when these were new, that gap was more like $40,000-50,000. So the PD cars are depreciating like fossil luxury cars while the 'regular' (75D, 85D, 90D, 100D) seem to be holding value much better.

Today the P100D with all the goodies goes for something close to $200,000. We'll see where it ends up used in 2020...but I'm betting you can have one for about $110,000 at that time. Today a 100D with all the goodies sells for around $130,000. In 2020 I'm betting you'll still have to pay about $95,000-100,000 for one.

The 2015 P85D and P90D cars are selling for $85,000-105,000 depending on mileage. Most of them...there are some outliers that sell higher. These are cars that were $150,000-170,000 when they were new 2.5 years ago. That's pretty significant depreciation.
I think you may be a bit high with the original purchase price but it may depend on the C$ strength at the time. I ordered my P85D in Nov of 2014 and I paid $141k (before sales and other taxes and rebates). The car was delivered in early January of 2015. And I think I have every option except the rear facing child seats. And then I paid another $6000 to turn my P85D into a P85D.