Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning about Taptes wireless charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered off Amazon. It took a while to get here. It did not work. Sent emails now waiting on a part of some kind. Company did communicate via Amazon. Will be interesting what kind of "part" arrives. My bad trying to save a few bucks ....
That sounds like you are affected by the change of the USB port behavior after the 2019.8.x firmware update, and they are now sending you a splitter cable to resolve it. This affected the other Qi chargers as well, and it will be resolved anyway in one of the next firmware updates.

IMO the Taptes is great. Just as good as the others at half the price.

P
I ordered off Amazon. It took a while to get here. It did not work. Sent emails now waiting on a part of some kind. Company did communicate via Amazon. Will be interesting what kind of "part" arrives. My bad trying to save a few bucks ....

The part is Probably a USB data blocker adaptor. No issues with mine, I did buy the 2 pack USB data blocker that I didn’t have to use.

Fred

Ok so I received the new part...the splitter arrived in 10 days or so and it did take care of the USB ports issue....but unfortunately it can't be charging my phone correctly due to the fact in a short half hour car ride my phone was red hot. Not good. My Qi charger at home never makes my phone hot and it sits on it all night. I am not trying to bash this company just stating the facts as to my experience to help other make their own decision. Thanks for the feedback.

Ordered my 2nd Taptes Wireless charger (this one for the wife's car) on April 4th from their website and received it on April 19th with no issues. I'll have to check with the wife to see if it's working still, but it was working when I tested it when I installed it. Same as my old one. Now, they have a cable splitter they sent a different way that's still on the way, but I don't need it as I'm using a USB hub for the TeslaCam stuff.

@scottish9000 Most likely it's the splitter they send to make it work. From their website: "Regarding the M3 front USB ports issue with Tesla 2019.8.2 or 2019.8.3 software which causes TapTes and all other fast wireless chargers blinking or not working, TAPTES engineer team has worked out one temporary solution: use a USB splitter or USB hub with TAPTES wireless charger."

If you already had splitters, then I don't know what part they're talking about. But a USB hub works just as well as the splitter to fix the issue they are referring to.

/edit and that's what I get for taking too long to write a response going back and forth between emails. A day late and dollar short, story of my life :p

Ok so I received the new part...the splitter arrived in 10 days or so and it did take care of the USB ports issue....but unfortunately it can't be charging my phone correctly due to the fact in a short half hour car ride my phone was red hot. Not good. My Qi charger at home never makes my phone hot and it sits on it all night. I am not trying to bash this company just stating the facts as to my experience to help other make their own decision. Thanks for the feedback.

Is it an IPhone 6? And how old is the phone?

Fred

Ordered my 2nd Taptes Wireless charger (this one for the wife's car) on April 4th from their website and received it on April 19th with no issues. I'll have to check with the wife to see if it's working still, but it was working when I tested it when I installed it. Same as my old one. Now, they have a cable splitter they sent a different way that's still on the way, but I don't need it as I'm using a USB hub for the TeslaCam stuff.

@scottish9000 Most likely it's the splitter they send to make it work. From their website: "Regarding the M3 front USB ports issue with Tesla 2019.8.2 or 2019.8.3 software which causes TapTes and all other fast wireless chargers blinking or not working, TAPTES engineer team has worked out one temporary solution: use a USB splitter or USB hub with TAPTES wireless charger."

If you already had splitters, then I don't know what part they're talking about. But a USB hub works just as well as the splitter to fix the issue they are referring to.

/edit and that's what I get for taking too long to write a response going back and forth between emails. A day late and dollar short, story of my life :p

All good ...I appreciate the reply

@CAVol It's in the parts catalog if you don't get any hits on here. Never ordered anything before personally, but thought I'd mention it.

Capture.PNG

• Helpful
Reactions: whatthe2 and CAVol