Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning for Emmc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get this error today

Attachments

• 96F386D3-2A95-496B-82C9-0DF51470C44D.jpeg
    96F386D3-2A95-496B-82C9-0DF51470C44D.jpeg
    494.3 KB · Views: 278
If you got "Pin to Drive/open Glovebox" set, suggest disabling it, as you may not be able to drive car/access glovebox.
Also turn off scheduled charging as the car won’t know the schedule if your emmc dies and can’t charge.
Both good pieces of advice, however the way this message is worded it sounds like they might have put in place some work around, when in the display-rear-camera-only mode maybe the PIN to drive and scheduled charging get disabled automatically (hence the press the brake for 30 seconds)? It would make sense from usability point of view but I guess we won't find out until someone with PIN to drive gets to the display-read-camera-only mode (perhaps it should be called limp mode?).

Reactions: dark cloud
Also turn off scheduled charging as the car won’t know the schedule if your emmc dies and can’t charge.

Would you elaborate? If you are still able to do non-schedule charging, what does disabling schedule-changing would do?

On Edit:
This post was due to my misunderstanding of what was being recommended regarding the scheduled-charging to be disabled. No further response is necessary.

Last edited:
If you plug in with scheduled charging, charging will not start until that time. If the MCU dies, there is nothing to tell the car to start charging.

Yes, I understand that I lose the scheduled-charging capability. But what good does disabling scheduled-charging do if I'm still able to charge? From what @kdday wrote, I read the disabling the scheduled-charging is the requirement to do any kind of charging, scheduling or not. I guess I'm trying to understand why it's good to disable the scheduled-charging when I won't be able to scheduled-charge anyway but I can charge just by plugging anytime and start to charge?

On Edit:
This post was due to my misunderstanding of what was being recommended regarding the scheduled-charging to be disabled. No further response is necessary.

Last edited:
Yes, I understand that I lose the scheduled-charging capability. But what good does disabling scheduled-charging do if I'm still able to charge? From what @kdday wrote, I read the disabling the scheduled-charging is the requirement to do any kind of charging, scheduling or not. I guess I'm trying to understand why it's good to disable the scheduled-charging when I won't be able to scheduled-charge anyway but I can charge just by plugging anytime and start to charge?

Normally, when you plug the car in, it will charge if the charge set point is higher than the current SoC.

If scheduled charging is enabled, it will override that, and no charging will occur even if the above is true.

If the MCU dies, you won't be able to charge in this case.

Much has been written on this elsewhere on this forum.

Reactions: Droschke
Normally, when you plug the car in, it will charge if the charge set point is higher than the current SoC.

If scheduled charging is enabled, it will override that, and no charging will occur even if the above is true.

I realized what I was missing after I posted my response. I see the point now and agree. Sorry for the confusion.

I suppose we are only talking about the AC charging, since hopefully the supercharging still would work, correct?

Also, curious to find out the disabling the scheduled-charging is a good idea for any car exhibiting possible bad eMMC or just being recommended after the eMMC repair warning message pops up?

I realized what I was missing after I posted my response. I see the point now and agree. Sorry for the confusion.

I thought maybe you were thinking of the fact that one can override the charging schedule and charge now using the app, but with the MCU dead there is no more app...so that would not be possible.

I suppose we are only talking about the AC charging, since hopefully the supercharging still would work, correct?

Also, curious to find out the disabling the scheduled-charging is a good idea for any car exhibiting possible bad eMMC or just being recommended after the eMMC repair warning message pops up?

You need to read this thread again; at least the first wiki: which states:

Most of these things are good to do if your seeing signs so you don't get stuck with open roof, car that cant charge, or car that cant drive.
Preparation for repair:
· Stop installing updates on car till after eMMC is upgraded
· Stop using the sunroof
· Remove PIN2Drive
· Remove charging schedules
· Set IC (instrument cluster) screen to comfortable brightness for night a daytime use.
· Set headlights on auto
· Charge your car up to 80-90%
· Test you can charge and SuperCharge before shipping your eMMC in the mail.(We have seen a couple cars that can only charge to 21% battery then stop charging.)

In that thread you will see my post which explained I was one who was not able to charge my car, even with charge limit set at max and charge schedule removed, at home or at a supercharger. I assume it was at the 21% max level, but I wasn't about to drive around to a level below that just to find that out.

Not sure perhaps how many of these items have changed, since Tesla has now wrote in some new code that might change things once the eMMC gets to a certain point? Maybe once someone gets that popup message on the screen Pin to drive is removed? the sunroof will automatically close? maybe the turn signals will now work? hmmm....

Both good pieces of advice, however the way this message is worded it sounds like they might have put in place some work around, when in the display-rear-camera-only mode maybe the PIN to drive and scheduled charging get disabled automatically (hence the press the brake for 30 seconds)? It would make sense from usability point of view but I guess we won't find out until someone with PIN to drive gets to the display-read-camera-only mode (perhaps it should be called limp mode?).

ah, you beat me to this point. I didn't catch this earlier :)

Anyone have some insight on how this chip test works?: does it do a cycle count on the eMMC and post the message? Then how will it know that there is a 64GB instead, and would the cycle count would be that much higher?

I wonder going forward, will this message pop up again in 4-5 years of so, when the previously warranty-installed MCU1's, or previous 8GB Tegras go bad?

What about the 3rd party Swissbit chips people have, or the more recently replaced 64GB Tesla replaced chips; will it lock down the MCU onto a rear camera view even though there is still many years of use left. (ie: false alarm) I assume we can just hit the OK button and remove the message, but will that be a daily occurrence in a few years? That would be annoying.

• Helpful
Reactions: Droschke
Thanks @dark cloud for further clarification :)

I thought maybe you were thinking of the fact that one can override the charging schedule and charge now using the app, but with the MCU dead there is no more app...so that would not be possible.

Additionally, I was under the wrong assumption that using the app would be my workaround. Thanks for correcting me.

You need to read this thread again; at least the first wiki

You bet. Looks like I've neglected to read up a lot on this particular topic. Never thought owning this car would be a full time career on all these glitches :(