Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty Request and PreAuth of Work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, I've got a M3P (leased through Tusker) which is coming up to 4 months old (2.5k miles), and yesterday I logged a Mobile Service request to address a very rattly passenger door card. (You can hear loose fittings/screws rattling around in there. It should be an easy fix, taking the door card off is simple, obviously it's not my car so I don't want to touch it...)

I've just got the following text (and email) as below, which seems standard practice, i.e. they want me to authorise payment for diagnosis. I'm just concerned that they might say not covered by warranty and charge me £150+ to take a door card off! I've had loads of new cars and never seen this approach! I'm going to contact my lease co, but any of you guys have any thoughts on this?

"Hi Mark <VIN No>, thank you for your Service request. For us to investigate the noise, we require authorisation for 30 minutes diagnosis at £72.50 + vat. Should the concern be covered by warranty, this charge will be waived. Please confirm whether you are happy for us to go ahead with this.

Thank you, Tesla Service

NB: All warranty concerns are subject to onsite inspection to determine validity."

Don't worry about it. It is quite common to be honest. I had the same with my previous car (Jaguar). This was a recall repair and still I was originally given an invoice of 200£ if I remember well. On the final invoice there was an extra line of -200£ with a justification of warranty work so the final sum was zero. I think they do it for the books or something.

Had the same request today for a check on creaking dash and passenger door speaker!

Was a little perplexed because if they conclude it can't be fixed or it's just how it is then what happens? I pay £72.50+VAT for nothing?

Also tempted to check with lease co first but expect I'll be directed back to sorting through the app!

Reactions: mrkwats
Just spoken to Tusker and, as expected, they state I have to go through their own booking process, and not direct with Tesla. Obviously, a pain, as Tusker and Tesla systems are way out of alignment. Tusker agent said she can book service request, but I'll have to take it to a Service Centre (which is like a 200+ mile round trip!) I've told them I want a Tesla mobile ranger service or nothing, and have left that with them. It's not a massive issue, and if it gets any more complicated I'm just going to leave it. The joys of leasing a Tesla :)

Out the blue had a call and text from the Leeds-based Tesla Mobile Ranger (Brad) saying he was in my area and could pop-by in 15 mins! I explained I was still working stuff out with Tusker leaseco and I hadn't yet accepted the Tesla pre-auth for £72.50+VAT. He came around anyway, sound fella, and fixed my rattly door (card off) in like 5 minutes, plus sorted a bodywork alignment issue elsewhere. So top Tesla service! In the meantime Tusker had managed to book me a mobile appointment in August, which I'm now busy cancelling. Also, when Brad was on-site got a notification for 2020.24 software update, which I installed after he'd finished. So a good day for Tesla :)