Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty/Servicing - official Tesla responses (incl GeorgeB)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me knowing my maintenance costs and the security of 24/7 roadside assistance and towing is WELL worth $1.64/day!! Guys we're buying some very new technology it will be a few years before they know how these cars hold up under actual use. I feel much better after George's explaination...

The white connector is used for service diagnostics only.

There is another obd port closer to the driver's side door under the dash.
Here?
OBDLocation.jpg

I would bet that the TESLA does not have an actual "OBD II" port, as there is no equipment on the car that reflects OBD II requirements. Remember - OBD (onboard diagnostics) II ports monitor engine and emissions equipment - the TESLA has none. Other manufacturers have different ports that directly plug into the computers, but the information is not OBD information.

I hate bringing this up, but regarding the warranty issue that was being discussed in the previous page or two, many manufacturers have propriatory information on their cars that they do not share with aftermarket shops. On my BMW -many of the diagnostics are not available to independent shops. In fact, on new BMWs, one has to go back to the dealer to have the battery changed, as taking out a battery has a major impact on the computer.

Anyone get this to work? I tried out my bluetooth OBDII adapter in this port. It powered up but I couldn't get it to talk to the Tesla ECU. I am looking for a way to stream live telemetry from the car.

Does your adaptor support 1Mbps CAN? That is the speed of the bus in the roadster, and stops a lot of lower-end OBDII equipment from seeing anything.

Does your adaptor support 1Mbps CAN? That is the speed of the bus in the roadster, and stops a lot of lower-end OBDII equipment from seeing anything.

Nope. It's a cheapo unit with the mass market chipset that doesn't do 1 Mbps CAN. I have done some internet research but it's difficult to figure out which unit to try. The Torque Wiki recommends the Scantool ODBLink MX but they aren't using these things on Teslas. If you know if an adapter (Bluetooth or USB or whatever) that is known to work on the Roadster I can give it a try on the Model S.

Last edited:
I would bet that the TESLA does not have an actual "OBD II" port, as there is no equipment on the car that reflects OBD II requirements. Remember - OBD (onboard diagnostics) II ports monitor engine and emissions equipment - the TESLA has none. Other manufacturers have different ports that directly plug into the computers, but the information is not OBD information.

I hate bringing this up, but regarding the warranty issue that was being discussed in the previous page or two, many manufacturers have propriatory information on their cars that they do not share with aftermarket shops. On my BMW -many of the diagnostics are not available to independent shops. In fact, on new BMWs, one has to go back to the dealer to have the battery changed, as taking out a battery has a major impact on the computer.

The OBD2 is used for TPMS as well as for an inspection station.

The OBD2 is used for TPMS as well as for an inspection station.

The TPMS brings up an interesting point. I assumed inspections of EVs didn't require hooking up to the OBD2 port since there are no pollution control devices to monitor. But if your TPMS has to be working to pass inspection then perhaps Tesla has to have a port to check that. In NH for example you can't pass inspection until your car is hooked up and the data is uploaded to the State's database.

The TPMS brings up an interesting point. I assumed inspections of EVs didn't require hooking up to the OBD2 port since there are no pollution control devices to monitor. But if your TPMS has to be working to pass inspection then perhaps Tesla has to have a port to check that. In NH for example you can't pass inspection until your car is hooked up and the data is uploaded to the State's database.

In some areas, like California, mandate the OBD2 plug in just to verify that there is in fact no emissions equipment installed and there is no engine. (Ridiculous, I know. Especially since Tesla only produces Electric Vehicles.)