Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was The Model 3 Originally Supposed to have Model S Style Door Handles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was re-watching the Model 3 unveil on YouTube and noticed that one of the Model 3's they used in the unveiling had Model S style door handles, but the other two had the regular Model 3 door handles, was this the first Model 3 they made before they decided to remove them on the other 2?
1PAKhl7.png

Nope, only one prototype had it.

What's surpsing to me is that CyberTruck has air suspension, self presenting doors and more. All high end options on Model S and lacking on 3/Y, yet Y's pricing for AWD is 2k more than CyberTruck, and with less range.

Nope, only one prototype had it.

What's surpsing to me is that CyberTruck has air suspension, self presenting doors and more. All high end options on Model S and lacking on 3/Y, yet Y's pricing for AWD is 2k more than CyberTruck, and with less range.
Cybertruck makes massive sacrifices to get the cost low. And the design it not remotely final, it didn't even have side mirrors, by law, every car needs those in North America, they won't get away without them.

Cybertruck makes massive sacrifices to get the cost low. And the design it not remotely final, it didn't even have side mirrors, by law, every car needs those in North America, they won't get away without them.

Agreed but by the time Tesla actually makes the truck the laws might change, being serious and giving sh*t to Tesla here. Audi wants their camera mirrors really bad and even headlight (lasers) laws are going to be changing.

By 2025 we’ll hopefully have some new laws/regulations in place for cars, EV or not.

Reactions: UTMB
I personally am very glad we do not have the Model S type of door handles on our Model 3's. Uncle Rich from Rich Rebuilds youtube channel, the guy who repairs and restores salvaged Tesla Model S's, talked about how the Model 3 door handles are so much better because they will not break down. The Model S style handles are very prone to malfunctioning. The Model 3 door handles are much simpler and contain far fewer parts that are likely to break down. I hope to keep my P3D for 8 to 10 years, so I will take the manual door handles any day over the Model S handles.

The first Model X prototype shown had no side mirrors either. Elon clearly does not like them, but as you noted, the US DOT requires them. That could change in the future.

That was only one of several prototypes, and there is no way for anyone on TMC to know why Tesla decided not to go with that door handle style.

?
I think that was pretty perceptive on RC2785’s part. The story is probably an interesting one, with a team facing a deadline and making one-off body panels, designing them by committee (or diktat). How did they fashion parallelogram holes in non-model S doors? Was this part of the car mostly made by hand in a machine shop, de novo, or did they use the same factory floor equipment?

I agree that the door handles on the Model 3 are more worry-free (but not foolproof, as evidenced during our surprise ice storm). Glad that I have them instead.

NHTSA is already studying changing this- as some other countries already have... (Lexus and Audi at least have cars in consumers hands without mirrors in other countries already)