Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washed my key fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this happen to one of our keyfobs - I believe it even went through the dryer in the pocket.

Once I discovered this - took off the rubber cover, removed the plastic battery cover, disassembled the key fob completely - and then just let all of the pieces sit out for an extended period to ensure everything was dry.

And after putting it all back together, haven't had any problems...

My dad accidentally washed my key fob yesterday... anyone have any luck with this or do I have to buy a new one?

Just let it fully dry out. I've washed and dried mine before and it still works. I took it apart and forgot about it - must have been weeks. Put it back together, changed the battery and decided to give it a try before chucking it. It ended up working - and still is.

Reactions: andrewdtran
Mine went in to the swimming pool with me.

Still worked, even while wet. However I recommend that any electronics (excepting LCD screens and similar) that get exposed to water or other liquids (coffee, etc...) be flushed with alcohol or electronic component cleaner.

While things may work initially, residue left over (soap, acids, etc...) and dried on to the components can corrode them over time.

Open the battery compartment and spray component cleaner in the nooks and crannies with a fine spray straw. Or, dunk the whole thing in a bowl of rubbing alcohol a few times.

Both also displace moisture and dry quickly, and generally don't harm them... as a matter of fact during manufacturing they are cleaned with similar substances.

Reactions: andrewdtran
Last week my wife washed my pants with my FOB still in it. Took the FOB and removed the battery and put the FOB in the warm desiccant dehumidifier I use for my hearing aid for about 4 days. Alas - to no avail - With a new battery does not operate the car. It does however still open the door and start the car when placed in the magic positions on the car.
After reading these articles, I think I will try placing the unit in my ultrasonic cleaner (assuming I can find it) with some alcohol and see if that cleans it up and makes it work. If not - Tesla Home Service is coming on Sunday morning to sell/program the new one (and reprogram the other FOB we have)
In the mean time - have to figure out how to get my phone to work as a key - or steal my wife's FOB (and get crushed each time when the seat moves forward...)

Last week my wife washed my pants with my FOB still in it. Took the FOB and removed the battery and put the FOB in the warm desiccant dehumidifier I use for my hearing aid for about 4 days. Alas - to no avail - With a new battery does not operate the car. It does however still open the door and start the car when placed in the magic positions on the car.
After reading these articles, I think I will try placing the unit in my ultrasonic cleaner (assuming I can find it) with some alcohol and see if that cleans it up and makes it work. If not - Tesla Home Service is coming on Sunday morning to sell/program the new one (and reprogram the other FOB we have)
In the mean time - have to figure out how to get my phone to work as a key - or steal my wife's FOB (and get crushed each time when the seat moves forward...)
Yeah I ended up having Mobile Service come over and replace the fob