Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington Registration Refund

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been trying to make sense if I am able to get a refund of my WA registration fees after trading in my vehicle after renewing it 1 month ago. Maybe someone has done it or tried to get a refund and can give me some clarity. Thanks!

It's been a few years for me, but I had purchased new tabs early for my Roadster and put them on the car...then sold it before the old tabs expired. I was able to get a refund. But the person I corresponded with said I was only able to get the refund because I sold it BEFORE the new tabs took effect. Once the new tabs take effect...there are no refunds. And the new owners can't use your tabs. It's just gone.

As I said, it's been a few years, so things could have changed. And I could have gotten bad information. As I recall, the info on the DOL's site wasn't terribly clear.

• Informative
Reactions: Potpourri and iamec
Been trying to make sense if I am able to get a refund of my WA registration fees after trading in my vehicle after renewing it 1 month ago. Maybe someone has done it or tried to get a refund and can give me some clarity. Thanks!

I paid mine about 3 days late (whoops! Lol) and then ended up selling my car to Vroom less than three weeks later. No refund because the tabs became “active.” If I had “renewed” them a month before my existing ones expired and then sold the car a week later, I could have got a refund since the new tabs were never active, just “pre-paid.”

The state appreciates your donation :p

Just to pile on with more confirmation...I had only been thinking of my cars before, but about 6 months ago I went to the DMV with my daughter. We had to replace a lost title so she could sell her car. And her tabs were about to come due. The agent sold her the tabs, but also gave her a form to request a refund in case she sold the car in time. The agent emphasized that the refund would only happen if the car was sold before the old tabs expired.

• Informative
Reactions: Potpourri
The state appreciates your donation :p
It’s not a donation, you should have got your “refund” from the purchaser by adding that cost to the sales price. Say you had put new tires on it, would you consider that a donation to Les Schwab’s? No, it changed the value of the vehicle. If you didn’t include it in the price your “donation” was to the buyer.

But the buyer doesn't get to keep the tabs (or the plates!). You have to buy new tabs in WA when you buy a car, even if the old tabs are still good.

This is a new law as of 2015 or so. It took me by surprise the first time I sold a car. And the DOL web site (at least as of 3 years ago) wasn't very clear about it.