Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watching people making poor car choices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The sense of superiority many people have on this forum is truly disappointing. That’s part of the reason why I never owned a Harley during my years of riding; I never wanted to be associated with a group of people who thought themselves better than others because of what they chose to ride. Apparently I now find myself in a similar group.

People make their own choices for their own reasons, and we don’t always agree with them. That doesn’t make their choice better or worse than ours, just different.

Unfortunately, some of it is related to all the FUD in the news. Tesla fires, crashes, long tail pipe, bankruptcy, Elon tweets, etc., Luckily, people (at least in the demographic capable of buying a Tesla) are generally educated, reasonable, and logical and will listen to the facts that refute the FUD. In the last couple of years, about a dozen friends, family, and co-workers have bought Teslas and none have bought non-Teslas (EVs or gas cars). So there is progress.

When the Model 3 is selling like hot cakes and most of the staff has a Tesla Model 3 in the office and in the neighborhood. Its sad to see that “One” family choosing a lesser EV at the same 39K price level before tax credits.

I know they would have buyers remorse from those other EV’s.
Not really feeling it. I like all the other EVs, admire the looks of the i3 and Leaf, and love seeing people join the EV wave. Yes, I feel that I have a faster, more rangeworthy car in the Model 3, but I sure as heck don’t feel scorn. What really gets me angry is all the hype and bluster in ICE marketing. And Hummers and Range Rovers piss me off. Direct some of your energy talking up your Tesla, not putting down people who made the leap and are allies.

Sounds like you think you're better than Harley riders.
I know I did. Once at a campground in Ohio, I pitched my tent and went about putting dinner together when a gaggle of Harley’s thundered in. One of their riders ambled over and took a look at my bike, a BMW R69S, and snickered.
“Does that thing have an engine?” he asked.
“Why yes it does, though it’s true you can hardly hear it. You like your Harley?”
“What’s not to like?”
I could think of a few things. Noise. Vibration. Reliability. But I didn’t think it wise to mention them.
“We ought to have a race,” he said.
“Sure,” I agreed.
“How about to Cincinnati?”
“How about to California?” It was where I was going.
He laughed, got up and returned to his friends. We both knew he’d have his fillings shaken out long before the state line showed up.
Their bikes did sound nice, though.
Robin

When the Model 3 is selling like hot cakes and most of the staff has a Tesla Model 3 in the office and in the neighborhood. Its sad to see that “One” family choosing a lesser EV at the same 39K price level before tax credits.

I know they would have buyers remorse from those other EV’s.

Maybe they wanted blind spot monitoring on the side view mirrors, a traditional dashboard, tactile controls, Apple Car Play, Android Auto, 360° Birdseye view, rear cross traffic alert, heated steering, a hatchback, a different look than a Tesla, or so many other little things that may be different in another car they like.

I’m glad you like your Model 3 and I like mine too, but let’s not get carried away to think that we know what’s best for everyone else.

Direct some of your energy talking up your Tesla, not putting down people who made the leap and are allies.

This is what I don't get about the EV community - Ford owners poke fun of Chevy owners, and vice versa....but neither side is trying to ban the other side, force people to do something, or put the other side out of business -- it's just friendly competition (granted there are exceptions)

But here it's different......:oops:

The sense of superiority many people have on this forum is truly disappointing. That’s part of the reason why I never owned a Harley during my years of riding; I never wanted to be associated with a group of people who thought themselves better than others because of what they chose to ride. Apparently I now find myself in a similar group.

People make their own choices for their own reasons, and we don’t always agree with them. That doesn’t make their choice better or worse than ours, just different.
I do see your point but you’ve got to consider in the EV world at this price point there is competition, but not much. With so little competition it does become easier to pick an objective best car and not be so superior about it. It kinda just is the best car

Reactions: Dmagyar