Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water condensation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told it's normal from my local SC.
If you look at my original pictures you can see a small whole in the plastic to let the heat get out of the lights. Apparently they get very warm.

It happened to me only once or twice I don't really sweat about it anymore. It's only in very specific cases it will fog up.

Yes, the hold are there so the lights are vented. But the fact that there is condensation happening, means it is not vented.

I drove four hours through heavy rain on Thursday again. No condensation. I'll keep an eye on it, but I think it's normal that it may occur in some situations.

The holes you can see in the pictures aren't actually holes, as far as I could determine. They are just indentations that don't go all the way through the plastic. If the holes vent to inside the car, high humidity and temperature inside the car, coupled with low ambient temperature could lead to condensation in the lights.

I drove four hours through heavy rain on Thursday again. No condensation. I'll keep an eye on it, but I think it's normal that it may occur in some situations.

The holes you can see in the pictures aren't actually holes, as far as I could determine. They are just indentations that don't go all the way through the plastic. If the holes vent to inside the car, high humidity and temperature inside the car, coupled with low ambient temperature could lead to condensation in the lights.

That's about what I was told. It only happened to me when the sun was hitting my car in the early morning.

It takes a few wining combinations to make this happen.

Just picked up my new X this Saturday and both taillights are getting condensation. Car hasn't even been in a car wash yet and it hasn't rained. Don't think this should be normal in a 100k truck. Let alone any new car.
IMG_5037.JPG
IMG_5038.JPG

After running the fog lights one night there was a little condensation in the corner of the driver’s side light but it was gone after a day. Haven’t seen rear light condensation. cgiGuy, how old is your car? I thought T had a fix for those parts last year sometime.

So mine is definitely NOT condensation. From my signature you’ll know I’m out of warranty.
The lower part of the inside hatch rear light on the passenger side stopped lighting.
Tesla wanted $450 to repair. Now I know why.
Attached are two pictures, one of the original and one of the recycled replacement lamp I bought.
The original had a badly deformed seal that was the source of the leak. When I removed it water was sloshing around inside. My advice would be if you have ANY moisture inside the lens I’d get into service while under warranty and demand a replacement.

The vertically oriented picture is the replacement part, the horizontal is the original. Notice the seal deformation at the top of the lens, bottom of the picture .
Who knew it required so much electronics to switch a few lights!

Attachments

• 83B5D89C-2270-41DD-AE43-FA0A13165D7F.jpeg
    83B5D89C-2270-41DD-AE43-FA0A13165D7F.jpeg
    395.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 00726A65-86CF-4372-BD41-DAEF6D81B65C.jpeg
    00726A65-86CF-4372-BD41-DAEF6D81B65C.jpeg
    393.5 KB · Views: 134
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I've had this unpleasant surprise here too of finding much condensation after bringing the car in a garage to hand wash it.

I've emailed my SC, we'll see what comes out of this.

Attachments

• Left Tail Light Condensation.jpg
    Left Tail Light Condensation.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Right Tail Light Condensation.jpg
    Right Tail Light Condensation.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 105
Same here. Happens after car wash or driving in rain.
92914471-778A-4657-ACFC-03E853020547.jpeg
Going in for service next week hopefully to have this and a few other things addressed.

Attachments

• 299A1D51-AE38-4534-A335-0756FF8DF7D5.jpeg
    299A1D51-AE38-4534-A335-0756FF8DF7D5.jpeg
    388.6 KB · Views: 116
  • EA15F290-BEDE-4BBA-A517-94BB3AB741FE.jpeg
    EA15F290-BEDE-4BBA-A517-94BB3AB741FE.jpeg
    463.3 KB · Views: 95
I had the same thing and I brought it to my SC. They told me that the condensation is normal for the design. There are very small vent holes at the bottom that will allow the air to balance the humidity and hence those droplets will disappear. On some days however it may reappear. I would email your pictures to your SC and let them comment on it. If it is normal you would have saved yourself a needless trip.

+1
Just contacted SC about same issue couple weeks ago. They said it was normal and that the housings are vented so moisture will go in and out

If the housings are vented it is a change since mine was built in mid 2014. The inner rear passenger side lamp module I replaced was sealed tight ( except for the defective seal that allowed it to fill with water). In addition the module is stuffed with electronics which would not respond well to moisture. You can see pictures at #28 in this thread.

My garage-kept, March 2018 X75D has water in the tail lights like the other photos in this forum. Seeing as how the last post was 11 months ago, should I assume this is not normal and request replacements?

CONDENSATION IN TAIL LIGHT.

Can't appreciate this line of CRAP from a text I was sent from Tesla Mobile Service! Do they honestly think we are idiots.

SC: Hello Rico, thanks for the photo. Occasional condensation within exterior light lenses might be present in any vehicle due to changes in atmospheric conditions, and can be intermittent. Condensation is normal and will clear over time. The clearing process is accelerated when the lights are in dry, high temperature environments, and when the vehicle is moving. Certain environmental factors may increase the likelihood of normal condensation, such as a temperature drop at dusk or high humidity in the environment. LEDs produce very little heat at the lens surface, which can result in condensation remaining in place longer when compared to traditional bulb lights. We do not recommend any repairs at this time. Please reach out if the concern does not resolve itself, thank you.

MY RESPONSE: I understand this. But why would this happen to one side and not the other. Both tail lights were subjected to the same conditions ie rain yesterday. But only one of them had increased amounts of condensation. I feel that something wasn't sealed properly in the assembly of the lights. I am requesting that this be rectified and not wait for this to happen again. There is no reason why this would happen to one side and not the other. I have read about this happening to other Teslas. So if I need to escalate this let me know. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4176.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_4176.HEIC.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4175.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_4175.HEIC.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4174.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_4174.HEIC.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 50