Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water ingress from passenger footwell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a situation with a 1 month old Model Y.
I have taken this into Tesla service in Vancouver twice without resolution and I'm curious if anyone here has had a similar issue

My car is on a slight downward pitch away from my house, so the car rear is perhaps half an inch higher than the front
1. After rainfall when driving the car, upon moderate acceleration I get a chipmunk like noise that seems to originate from the fans,
2. When I change the HVAC fan speed the pitch of the noise changes to coincide
3. Upon heavier acceleration i.e. flooring it, water comes into the passenger footwell, behind the plastic towards the centre-left corner of the passenger footwell. Not a little, quite a lot depending on the amount of rain I'm guessing.

Both seem to be related since they both only happen after rain.
On the first service - No fault found
Second service - It seems the technical made a guess and replaced a HVAC seal, each time they apparently did a water test
After picking it up for the second time the issue was still present. I've even sent a video of the ingress occurring showing the exact place it happens

I live 120km away from the service centre resulting in 4 hour round trips and 3 days without the card, I will inevitably need to take it back but wanted to see if anyone had experience that I could give to the techs to get ahead of the diagnostic.
Pretty frustrating service for a brand new vehicle

I have a situation with a 1 month old Model Y.
I have taken this into Tesla service in Vancouver twice without resolution and I'm curious if anyone here has had a similar issue

My car is on a slight downward pitch away from my house, so the car rear is perhaps half an inch higher than the front
1. After rainfall when driving the car, upon moderate acceleration I get a chipmunk like noise that seems to originate from the fans,
2. When I change the HVAC fan speed the pitch of the noise changes to coincide
3. Upon heavier acceleration i.e. flooring it, water comes into the passenger footwell, behind the plastic towards the centre-left corner of the passenger footwell. Not a little, quite a lot depending on the amount of rain I'm guessing.

Both seem to be related since they both only happen after rain.
On the first service - No fault found
Second service - It seems the technical made a guess and replaced a HVAC seal, each time they apparently did a water test
After picking it up for the second time the issue was still present. I've even sent a video of the ingress occurring showing the exact place it happens

I live 120km away from the service centre resulting in 4 hour round trips and 3 days without the card, I will inevitably need to take it back but wanted to see if anyone had experience that I could give to the techs to get ahead of the diagnostic.
Pretty frustrating service for a brand new vehicle

My Model Y(2022) is only a week old. I drove for less than a week and I have the same problem. I will bring it over to the service center next week. I am very concerned about this issue now. My case was snowed 2 days before I noticed a water leak on the footwall on the passenger side. While my wife was driving water pour onto my foot. I notice the carpet was full of water and wet.

My Model Y(2022) is only a week old. I drove for less than a week and I have the same problem. I will bring it over to the service center next week. I am very concerned about this issue now. My case was snowed 2 days before I noticed a water leak on the footwall on the passenger side. While my wife was driving water pour onto my foot. I notice the carpet was full of water and wet.
Please let me know if anybody was able to fix this problem permanently. Thank you.

This is interesting. And quite alarming. I haven't seen water, but do notice a very musty smell a day after heavy rain. I'll start looking
Here is a picture of it…

Attachments

• 4F56631C-5FD7-48ED-9AED-FA448B21FFDC.jpeg
    4F56631C-5FD7-48ED-9AED-FA448B21FFDC.jpeg
    640.2 KB · Views: 490
Build Oct 2021, MYLR - 7 seat. I have the same issue. First time in they said they noticed a seal that was not seated correctly. This did not solve the issue. They did a water test while car was stationary and had no leak. My issue has always been under moderate to full acceleration after snow and or rain. Seemed worse after snow and defrost and having snow melt more. Seems to be coming from HVAC system (in or around) or through the firewall as it seems to only come out passenger side foot-well under glove box. I have video showing the leaking happening. I also pulled the cowl under hood and took video on a day it was raining right after I recorded some video of it leaking. Being around cars for 25 years and working on them myself some my guest guess is a drain hose or hole is plugged, not properly opened or a seal is not seated properly to prevent overflow during acceleration into the cabin.

Side note: I also have a water issue under the rear hatch where water passes either over the seal or through it somehow and have standing water after rain or snow melt in the inside of the seal and the two notches where the hatch rubber stops meet the plastic well. This seams to be a rear hatch seal issue or it created a gap at the seal when they fixed panel gap on the hatch after arrival. Both issues speak to build quality and possibly the quality of materials used. Funny enough i noticed salt build-up here during winter and the SA told me to wipe my seals for a better fit....I laughed, and he was serious. In all my life I've never wiped a seal for proper fitment to prevent water from crossing a seal on the many vehicles I've owned to this point. Either way, technician training could be why some of these issues are not figured out sooner.

TL:DR - same issue. I have video of it happening. Have a second visit scheduled next week. Any fix known yet?