TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Water Leak - Water Inside B-Pillar Camera and Trunk

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by pdx_m3s, Dec 30, 2019.

1. pdx_m3s

pdx_m3s Active Member

Had about a gallon of water in my trunk storage compartment and also noticed moisture inside the driver-side B-pillar camera (causing the warnings message "camera blocked/blinded"). Taking it into the Service Center today. Has anyone else had this issue?

Also as a result of this, my Autopilot has been resetting while driving. The AP steering wheel icon will flash yellow, the battery percentage will momentarily read "--%", and all of the warning/indicator lights (e-brake, headlights, ABS, etc) show up like they do when you step on the brake for the first time when getting in the car. Once it resets, Autopilot is either not available or seldomly available on perfectly painted/open roads.

I'm so disappointed. This car was flawless for the first 6 months of ownership (only 3k miles on it right now), and now I feel like this will just be the start of a very long and frustrating process so many on this forum have detailed.

Wish me luck. Screenshot 2019-12-30 at 11.40.29 AM.jpg IMG_2577.PNG IMG_2578.PNG

2. webbah

webbah Member

Man that sucks. I’m about to undertake some sound proofing in the car and hope I don’t discover any leaking at the weld points, etc. I’ve seen some of these messages as well but attributed them to just bad weather. Fortunately I have not had anything get wet inside the sub trunk and I check that after every rain storm. I stuffed it with towels anyway to dampen the noise for now!

3. pdx_m3s

pdx_m3s Active Member

Once/if this issue is resolved, I'll probably do the same since I currently have the rear trunk carpet out right now anyways to get it dried out.

4. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

The b-pillar condensation/fogging is potentially related to the trunk water in that obviously the humidity will be higher in the car due to the water incursion. But the fogging is an issue even without trunk water, weather-conditions related.

5. pdx_m3s

pdx_m3s Active Member

Well, it's now in the SC's hands. They gave me an AP1 Model S 85 as a loaner (locked in Chill Mode...).

6. diezel_dave

diezel_dave Member

Your screen freaking out is caused by the web browser being open. I've documented this issue thoroughly in my own car. I even made a video about it: 40.50.1 - Software Bug - Frequent Crashing of Driver Information Display While Web Browser Is Open : teslamotors

Try closing the browser while you drive around. I bet that does the trick until they fix the issue.

7. pdx_m3s

pdx_m3s Active Member

• Like x 1
  8. gcmak

gcmak Member

Looks like I'll be going to Tesla. Getting camera warnings a lot and today noticed there seems to have been some water intrusion.
    IMG_5841.jpeg IMG_5842.jpeg

• Like x 1
  9. pdx_m3s

pdx_m3s Active Member

Keep us posted. I will update this thread when I hear from the SC tomorrow or later this week.

• Like x 1
  10. gcmak

gcmak Member

I have my appointment Jan 10 with a few other ongoing items.

11. pdx_m3s

pdx_m3s Active Member

No word from the SC yet other than my app now says, “Estimated completion: January 4th, 5:30PM”

Driving this older Model S 85 really makes me appreciate all the engineering that went into Model 3. The 3 is such a better vehicle.

• Like x 1
  12. pdx_m3s

pdx_m3s Active Member

Well I got my car back this evening. They fixed two water leaks near and around the charging port. Everything else checked out fine.

Drove home on AP with zero issues.

On another note, it was so welcome to get back behind the wheel of my 3. The S is a good looking car, but doesn’t come close to the interior and driving experience of the 3.

• Like x 3
  13. gcmak

gcmak Member

Did they acknowledge or do anything about the b-pillar camera?

14. pdx_m3s

pdx_m3s Active Member

They took it apart and confirmed that it had the latest version of the seal (I think they called it the "B Pillar Applique"). The condensation was due to the trunk/charge port leak.

They also said "some condensation in certain conditions is normal"

It sat out in a heavy wind and rain storm last night and this morning there was no water in the trunk or cameras. AP was also rock-solid this morning. Fingers crossed all is well.

• Like x 2
  15. gcmak

gcmak Member

Took my car in today. They said condensation is normal too but my driver side clearly had more water intrusion which left hard water deposits inside and said it needs to be changed out. So hopefully things go well.