Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water Leak - Water Inside B-Pillar Camera and Trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdx_m3s

May 18, 2019
Portland, OR
Had about a gallon of water in my trunk storage compartment and also noticed moisture inside the driver-side B-pillar camera (causing the warnings message "camera blocked/blinded"). Taking it into the Service Center today. Has anyone else had this issue?

Also as a result of this, my Autopilot has been resetting while driving. The AP steering wheel icon will flash yellow, the battery percentage will momentarily read "--%", and all of the warning/indicator lights (e-brake, headlights, ABS, etc) show up like they do when you step on the brake for the first time when getting in the car. Once it resets, Autopilot is either not available or seldomly available on perfectly painted/open roads.

I'm so disappointed. This car was flawless for the first 6 months of ownership (only 3k miles on it right now), and now I feel like this will just be the start of a very long and frustrating process so many on this forum have detailed.

Wish me luck.
Screenshot 2019-12-30 at 11.40.29 AM.jpg
IMG_2577.PNG
IMG_2578.PNG

Had about a gallon of water in my trunk storage compartment and also noticed moisture inside the driver-side B-pillar camera (causing the warnings message "camera blocked/blinded"). Taking it into the Service Center today. Has anyone else had this issue?

Also as a result of this, my Autopilot has been resetting while driving. The AP steering wheel icon will flash yellow, the battery percentage will momentarily read "--%", and all of the warning/indicator lights (e-brake, headlights, ABS, etc) show up like they do when you step on the brake for the first time when getting in the car. Once it resets, Autopilot is either not available or seldomly available on perfectly painted/open roads.

I'm so disappointed. This car was flawless for the first 6 months of ownership (only 3k miles on it right now), and now I feel like this will just be the start of a very long and frustrating process so many on this forum have detailed.

Wish me luck.View attachment 494477 View attachment 494476 View attachment 494475
Man that sucks. I’m about to undertake some sound proofing in the car and hope I don’t discover any leaking at the weld points, etc. I’ve seen some of these messages as well but attributed them to just bad weather. Fortunately I have not had anything get wet inside the sub trunk and I check that after every rain storm. I stuffed it with towels anyway to dampen the noise for now!

Man that sucks. I’m about to undertake some sound proofing in the car and hope I don’t discover any leaking at the weld points, etc. I’ve seen some of these messages as well but attributed them to just bad weather. Fortunately I have not had anything get wet inside the sub trunk and I check that after every rain storm. I stuffed it with towels anyway to dampen the noise for now!

Once/if this issue is resolved, I'll probably do the same since I currently have the rear trunk carpet out right now anyways to get it dried out.

The b-pillar condensation/fogging is potentially related to the trunk water in that obviously the humidity will be higher in the car due to the water incursion. But the fogging is an issue even without trunk water, weather-conditions related.

Wish me luck.View attachment 494477 View attachment 494476 View attachment 494475

Your screen freaking out is caused by the web browser being open. I've documented this issue thoroughly in my own car. I even made a video about it: 40.50.1 - Software Bug - Frequent Crashing of Driver Information Display While Web Browser Is Open : teslamotors

Try closing the browser while you drive around. I bet that does the trick until they fix the issue.

Reactions: diezel_dave
Well I got my car back this evening. They fixed two water leaks near and around the charging port. Everything else checked out fine.

Drove home on AP with zero issues.

On another note, it was so welcome to get back behind the wheel of my 3. The S is a good looking car, but doesn’t come close to the interior and driving experience of the 3.

Well I got my car back this evening. They fixed two water leaks near and around the charging port. Everything else checked out fine.

Drove home on AP with zero issues.

On another note, it was so welcome to get back behind the wheel of my 3. The S is a good looking car, but doesn’t come close to the interior and driving experience of the 3.
Did they acknowledge or do anything about the b-pillar camera?

Did they acknowledge or do anything about the b-pillar camera?

They took it apart and confirmed that it had the latest version of the seal (I think they called it the "B Pillar Applique"). The condensation was due to the trunk/charge port leak.

They also said "some condensation in certain conditions is normal"

It sat out in a heavy wind and rain storm last night and this morning there was no water in the trunk or cameras. AP was also rock-solid this morning. Fingers crossed all is well.