Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water Pooling in Bottom Trunk Compartment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this happen as well once. It was for a road trip. I parked in a driveway with the front of the car pointed down. I didn't notice it until later. The bottom trunk (trunk inside the trunk) had about 4 cups of water. I don't think it rained that day. I thought maybe the sprinkler came on but I wasn't sure. I felt around but could not find where it could have dripped in. Everything around was dry. I'm guessing it seeped in from somewhere else like the bumper or from under the car. I've been checking but it hasn't happened again. I have the car for over four months now and this was the only time this problem occurred.

One other thing I would like to point out. When I replaced my springs, I noticed there was water in the rear cover under the car. Could it be that this panel was holding water? I plan to remove the panel and check and possible drill drain holes in it if does contain water.

I had this happen as well once. It was for a road trip. I parked in a driveway with the front of the car pointed down. I didn't notice it until later. The bottom trunk (trunk inside the trunk) had about 4 cups of water. I don't think it rained that day. I thought maybe the sprinkler came on but I wasn't sure. I felt around but could not find where it could have dripped in. Everything around was dry. I'm guessing it seeped in from somewhere else like the bumper or from under the car. I've been checking but it hasn't happened again. I have the car for over four months now and this was the only time this problem occurred.

One other thing I would like to point out. When I replaced my springs, I noticed there was water in the rear cover under the car. Could it be that this panel was holding water? I plan to remove the panel and check and possible drill drain holes in it if does contain water.

It's gotta be something like that, the top part is dry. The only other thing I can think of is the A/C condensation.

Did you open the trunk at all while it was raining?

Water will go straight from the rear windshield and trunk lid into your trunk, it will soak through the felt and pool in the bottom trunk. the only way around this is the all-weather mats to catch the water earlier.

Jr2AFWvhgM8

Can I go to the service center now?
You're going to need some towels to soak that up.

Last edited:
Definitely take it into service. The day I got mine I drove home in a rainstorm. Got water in the trunk. Called the SC and they said they knew what to do and fixed it in a day. In my case, the weather stripping had a mold (shape, not fungus) issue where a seam was left at the top side, creating a small opportunity for water to ingress. The seal that was replaced had no such issues ever since.

Did you open the trunk at all while it was raining?

Water will go straight from the rear windshield and trunk lid into your trunk, it will soak through the felt and pool in the bottom trunk. the only way around this is the all-weather mats to catch the water earlier.

You're going to need some towels to soak that up.
Good to know. I don't think the trunk was opened in the rain. The only reason I knew water was there was because I left the Monroney sheet in that area.

My lower trunk has clear water damage from something that happened prior to me getting the car, although it remained dry after driving through the midwest equivalent of a hurricane yesterday.

Interestingly tho at delivery my upper trunk floor was wet. So when I got home after the storm yesterday, I completely dried my rear glass and trunk lid, and carefully opened the trunk as not to get run off, and I had a few drops of water sitting on top of the rubber floor mat. Presumably it somehow got in through a defect in the trunk seal.

I have a service appointment in a couple weeks for other defects and plan to have them address it at that time.