Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waterproof KeyFob?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Way beyond waterproof, the idea of the Tesla Key is just at the beginning of a long evolution. The current system is very expensive. Have you checked into the cost of a replacement or spare key?

A Tesla Key is a a wearable or carryable bit of technology that can be integrated with other functions and assume other forms. It could be a universal key to give access to anything that's designed to be compatible. It could be integrated with a portable memory device that also holds all of your passwords and access codes. It could also like other current products have biometric and/or voice ID to protect these assets. It could of course be completely programmable to function however the owner prefers. Want your key to ask for your voice confirmation or thumbprint under certain circumstances? Want it to erase everthing and go inert under others?

Was going to post a link to the TeslaMotors.com forums where I saw this, but since they are down, here is a solution they had on there:

1) The first quick solution was a "zip lock" bag of sorts called "LokSak". It's basically a heavier duty zip lock bag, which I purchased on Amazon. (I purchased the 5" x 4" which was the smallest I could fine). It works well. I zip it shut and drop it in my wetsuit (at the small of my back) and go. The nice part about this is you can easily test the bag and confirm it's water tight.
2) Next came the idea of using Silicone Tape, which I hadn't ever heard of until I saw it at a boat show and when I saw it the light bulb went off. Great product. The brand I have used is called "Rescue Tape". It comes in 1" and 2" rolls. I've used the 1" as it was readily available at the marine supply store. I first wrapped the key fob with one layer and minimal overlap and tested it in the sink. Everything seemed fine, but I thought I'll cut the tape off and check inside....and found some moisture. The key was fine, but needless to say this made me nervous. I tried again and this time pulled the silicone tape really tight (which is key) and went around the key twice to make sure the silicone tape (which adheres to itself) had plenty of chance to do so. I tested again, and cut the tape off (note the tape does NOT stick to the key fob which is nice) and it was bone dry. So, I've used this for awhile, but it made the key a bit bulky and much less attractive. So, idea #3 was born....and the best one yet....
3) Plasti Dip - A liquid rubber product you can buy in a 14 oz. can for about $12. First I tested it by dipping the key in half way and let it dry. (I wanted to see if the Plasti Dip would stick to the key and make it difficult/impossible to get off when it was time to change the battery, which it didn't surprisingly.) So, then I fully dipped the key, from a paperclip, let it dry (directions say 4 hours minimum before use), put it in a sink full of water, pulled it out, dried it off and proceed to peel off the Plasti Dip coating (which was easy). Again, the key was bone dry and I finally found the perfect solution for me.
My final configuration is a thin nylon string (like what you find at the end of a digital camera strap) and then two coats of the Plasti Dip, which fully coat the key fob and a small portion of the nylon string. I've only been using it for about a month now, but the Plasti Dip is surprisingly strong....and now I've got a key ring loop if I want to add it to my key chain, which I've gotten used to not having. I suppose it will save my key when it goes into the washing machine by mistake. I figure it's only a matter of time now that I don't keep it on a key chain!
Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to post pictures! I'm laying home with flu and I've lost my patients so the text is all I've got for you for now.

Brian H | May 25, 2013

Sam

85 kWh | Grey | Tan Leather | Obeche Matte | 19" Primacy | Tech Pkg | Parking Sensors | Fog Lights | Parcel Shelf | Body Colored Roof | Air Suspension | HPWC | Ordered 8/22/13 | Confirmed 9/1/13 | Assembly Date: 10/7/13 | Delivery Date: ~10/15/13 | #?????

Neverwet has some huge probems. It messes up the finish, it only worst for a short period of time, ... But worst of all, even the manufacturer suggests to NOT use it on electronic devices. I would go with plastidip. It has been WELL TESTED over many years, and will peel off easily if you want to take it off or need to change the battery.

I think I read SamGarber's suggestion and subsequently Plasti Dip'd my Model S keyfob in July 2015. The battery lasted until now--a hard to believe 7 years--probably because I only used this spare keyfob for going to the beach activities. And maybe I didn't notice if it died last year. Back then I reviewed it on Amazon:
Make sure you really need clear Plasti-Dip, as it is very difficulty to dip without tiny bubbles forming when doing multiple coats. I gave the product 5 stars anyway because it really does work well for my purposes and the bubbles are a mere cosmetic annoyance.
I used this product to water-proof my car's key-fob so I can keep it with me when swimming or bicycling. I'd read online that it is easy to cut off the Plasti-Dip when the fob's battery needs replacing and will update this review if I replace battery. Being a sort of a project-overkill kind of a guy, I put two loops of Berkley Gorilla Tough 50LB braided fishing line on the fob then dipped it eight times (yes 8). The fob costs something like $400 to replace, hence the dip-fest. When dipping I followed the directions to the letter--dipping oh so very slowly and timing re-dippings--yet four or five rows of tiny bubbles marred the results. A colored Plasti-Dip would not have this problem.
Fast forward 2022... Replacing the battery was as easy as SamGarber said, I Xacto-knifed around the battery compartment lines (super carefully!), replaced battery, tested it, re-Dip'd it. Nice!

plasti_dip.png

Reactions: APotatoGod
Heres a suggestion: To make the next version of the Keyfobs water proof, or offer a waterproof version as an option.
We had a big rain and while cleaning up debris I found a Tesla fob. There are about 7 on my block. I opened it, pulled the battery and dried it out. After reassembly I started knocking on doors. First said he'd lost one. He opened his garage, I pushed a button, the car smiled and I handed it over, happy ending! 🎉

Reactions: Prairie
@bobby g

Glad to hear the drowned fob worked after trying out! Also you must be an actual Good Neighbor.

Your quote of @IceWendigo motivated me to check on waterproof fobs and I did find the card version Key Card available for models after 2021. The card just unlocks the car, which actually is good enough for beach use, but you'll need swimwear with pockets.

Perhaps another good waterproof alternative is a RFID ring (or bracelet) intended for use with Tesla. Many can be found on Amazon, but surprise, they cost four times MORE than the Tesla cards. And still only for Model S/X 2021+