Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Watt Time & Watt Key - Wear OS Watch Apps To Control Your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Annoyingly it doesn't show up on the Google Play Store phone app because it's a watch only app (this is what Google told me)
My phone (Pixel 7 Pro) gives me the option to search for watch apps by changing this drop-down:

Screenshot_20230104-153649.png

to "Watch":

Screenshot_20230104-153706.png

Reactions: joshendy
Hi all,

I've just added Google Assistant shortcuts to Watt Time and Watt Key (English only currently). The shortcuts are live on Watt Time now (v5.4) and should be available on Watt Key soon (v3.3 - waiting for Google approval). Give it a go and let me know how it works for you! For me it keeps hearing "Watt Time" as "What time" and the action never runs :( Google told me: "please allow some time for the App Action to adjust the speech pattern of the command "Watt time"".

I found that if I spell out "Watt" then the command seems to be heard correctly sometimes. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has any success. So far I've added the following commands:

Common Watt Time and Watt Key commands:
* Lock/unlock
* Open frunk, open hood, open bonnet
* Open/close trunk, open/close boot
* Open/close charge port
* Unlock charge port

Watt Key only commands (Bluetooth specific):
* Unlatch driver's door
* Unlatch passenger's door
* Unlatch rear driver's side door
* Unlatch rear passenger's side door
* Unlatch all doors

Watt Time only commands (Tesla API specific):
* Vent/close windows
* Climate on/off
* Defrost on
* Dog mode on/off
* Camp mode on/off
* Flash/blink lights
* Honk horn
* Start/stop charging
* Remote start
* Sentry on/off
* Open garage

They need to be spoken into Google Assistant in the format: "Hey Google, {command} with Watt Time" (I believe you can do different variations of this and it'll work also)

I've tried to get this to work but I keep getting NFC Error 3 on my watch when tapping it on the center console. The pillar doesn't read my watch at all no matter what I do. There are times I can get the watch synced as a key but if I turn Bluetooth off on my watch and back on again, I have to repair all over again and the car can't find the watch as a key. I've tried a lot of different ways to get this to work.

Galaxy watch 4

Model Y LR 2022

I've tried to get this to work but I keep getting NFC Error 3 on my watch when tapping it on the center console. The pillar doesn't read my watch at all no matter what I do. There are times I can get the watch synced as a key but if I turn Bluetooth off on my watch and back on again, I have to repair all over again and the car can't find the watch as a key. I've tried a lot of different ways to get this to work.

Sorry about these issues! For the NFC error, it seems that Watt Time's cryptographic key wasn't correctly generated. If you uninstall and reinstall Watt Time it'll generate a new key and should fix this issue. You'll just need to add it to your Tesla again.

When you mention getting the watch synced as a key, are you referring to using Watt Key? If so, turning Bluetooth on and off shouldn't require repairing to your Tesla. I'll look into this and see if I can reproduce and issue here. Do you have location enabled on your watch? You need both Bluetooth and Location services enabled for Watt Key to function correctly. Another thing to try is to go into Watt Key's settings and turn off "Auto connect", this will stop Watt Key from running in the foreground and start it fresh every time you open the app or run a command from the tile.

How long should watt key take to connect?
Should be pretty immediate when you're close to your Tesla. If it's the first time connecting to your Tesla since you powered on your watch then you need to open up Watt Key first. It'll then start a low power scan to look for your Tesla to come into range. I added a force connect button (just below the home screen in Watt Key) to do away with the scan and force a connection right away so you could try that. Alternatively it's possible the watch has killed Watt Key's foreground service to save battery, in which case you can open the Setting menu in Watt Key and press the "Reset service" button and then relaunch Watt Key.

I just recently purchased Watt Key and the app is working great. Love your work! But I tried to use the Tile to open the trunk and I'm getting an error saying "Unkown clickable ID", same with the frunk. However the charging port & unlatching of both doors works, as does the lock/unlock of the car.

PXL_20230108_055005434.jpeg

It seems like Watt Key app drains the watch battery really fast. I understand it does that because it's constantly running in the foreground when the Auto Connect setting is On, but this functionality (connecting to the car) shouldn't come with the price of getting your watch completely drained in the matter of just few hours. I can't even get watch go thru the entire day.
Another issue, when in the proximity of the car, it constantly unlocks and locks the car doors to the point that it could be dangerous to be near the trunk when it's opened. It happened twice to me that the trunk started to close by itself when I was still loading the stuff into it. The Watt Key app apparently just decided it was time to lock the car up.

I just recently purchased Watt Key and the app is working great. Love your work! But I tried to use the Tile to open the trunk and I'm getting an error saying "Unkown clickable ID", same with the frunk. However the charging port & unlatching of both doors works, as does the lock/unlock of the car.

View attachment 893561
Nice, I'm glad it's working well for you! Sorry about that, would've broken it in my latest update. I'll fix it up and get a new update out ASAP.

It seems like Watt Key app drains the watch battery really fast. I understand it does that because it's constantly running in the foreground when the Auto Connect setting is On, but this functionality (connecting to the car) shouldn't come with the price of getting your watch completely drained in the matter of just few hours. I can't even get watch go thru the entire day.
Another issue, when in the proximity of the car, it constantly unlocks and locks the car doors to the point that it could be dangerous to be near the trunk when it's opened. It happened twice to me that the trunk started to close by itself when I was still loading the stuff into it. The Watt Key app apparently just decided it was time to lock the car up.
I think a few hours is a bit of an exaggeration. My Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 still lasts a whole day with Watt Key running constantly. Unfortunately the reality of having a constant Bluetooth detection running uses power and there's no way around it. The official Tesla app has to do this as well and it also drains battery but because a phone's battery is much larger it's less noticeable. In saying that I have been making optimisations/tradeoffs in the latest Watt Key update to reduce the rate at which it looks for the Tesla at the cost of it taking longer to find the Tesla and connect. So, I hope that helps with the battery drain.

Sorry about the issue with the trunk closing! I try to test this stuff as much as possible but I didn't run across this issue. I'll add a programmable slider so you can choose the distance at which it automatically secures the car. It's current set to 10m (~32ft) but this distance is derived from the Bluetooth signal strength which can vary a lot depending on location.

I've been a long-time user of Watt Time and love it. Discovered Watt Key and bought it right away in hopes that my car detects my watch whenever I don't have my phone with me. The auto-unlock/lock feature works well but somehow when I use the widget to open the frunk/trunk, it will always say that it needs to be within the range of BT. I'm literally right beside the car and it still won't detect the Bluetooth. What should I do?

I've been a long-time user of Watt Time and love it. Discovered Watt Key and bought it right away in hopes that my car detects my watch whenever I don't have my phone with me. The auto-unlock/lock feature works well but somehow when I use the widget to open the frunk/trunk, it will always say that it needs to be within the range of BT. I'm literally right beside the car and it still won't detect the Bluetooth. What should I do?
I'm glad Watt Time has been useful for you! Sorry about that problem with Watt Key. If you open the Watt Key app and try to open the frunk or trunk from there, does it work? I'll have a test with my Tesla and see if I can replicate the problem.

The NFC is working great. Prior to the latest update I was unable to get it to work reliably.
How often does the "more info" data update? I have the rear windows partially open and it shows as closed. The Tesla app does show "windows open". I left the passenger door open and it still shows as closed.

The NFC is working great. Prior to the latest update I was unable to get it to work reliably.
How often does the "more info" data update? I have the rear windows partially open and it shows as closed. The Tesla app does show "windows open". I left the passenger door open and it still shows as closed.
I'm glad the NFC is working better for you! The "More info" section doesn't live update while you're viewing it. It refreshes when you first open the app and then every 30 seconds it'll pull the latest data from the vehicle (as long as you're not in any sub menu), unless it falls asleep in which case it won't update any longer.

Hi all,

I've just added Google Assistant shortcuts to Watt Time and Watt Key (English only currently). The shortcuts are live on Watt Time now (v5.4) and should be available on Watt Key soon (v3.3 - waiting for Google approval). Give it a go and let me know how it works for you! For me it keeps hearing "Watt Time" as "What time" and the action never runs :( Google told me: "please allow some time for the App Action to adjust the speech pattern of the command "Watt time"".

I found that if I spell out "Watt" then the command seems to be heard correctly sometimes. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has any success. So far I've added the following commands:

Common Watt Time and Watt Key commands:
* Lock/unlock
* Open frunk, open hood, open bonnet
* Open/close trunk, open/close boot
* Open/close charge port
* Unlock charge port

Watt Key only commands (Bluetooth specific):
* Unlatch driver's door
* Unlatch passenger's door
* Unlatch rear driver's side door
* Unlatch rear passenger's side door
* Unlatch all doors

Watt Time only commands (Tesla API specific):
* Vent/close windows
* Climate on/off
* Defrost on
* Dog mode on/off
* Camp mode on/off
* Flash/blink lights
* Honk horn
* Start/stop charging
* Remote start
* Sentry on/off
* Open garage

They need to be spoken into Google Assistant in the format: "Hey Google, {command} with Watt Time" (I believe you can do different variations of this and it'll work also)
Trying the Google assistant voice command doesn't seem to work, it will just does a Google search on watt time unlock and return search results.

Is there a video that explain how to actually use voice command?

Also if I have more than one tesla, how can we issue the command to each car?

Trying the Google assistant voice command doesn't seem to work, it will just does a Google search on watt time unlock and return search results.

Is there a video that explain how to actually use voice command?

Also if I have more than one tesla, how can we issue the command to each car?
Unfortunately I recently received an email from Google saying:
  • As we review your App Action submission, we notice that the implemented Built-in Intent was submitted for Wear devices. Unfortunately, we have not enabled App Actions intents for Wear devices yet. Please stay tuned for future updates.
So after all the effort of implementing Google Assistant it seems they won't allow it on Wear OS, despite it initially working and them then disabling it... :mad:

Sorry about that. I'll keep tabs on this, hopefully Google pulls their finger out and gets this going sooner than later.

So after all the effort of implementing Google Assistant it seems they won't allow it on Wear OS, despite it initially working and them then disabling it... :mad:
Google itself. Before new year, I had created a business account in google play console. I had paid using company credit card and business account in console was created. But accountancy account was created as personal account and I have no possibility to receive invoice. And they support thinks that is ok. Well, my tax office would say it is illegal.
And I was thinking MS Azure is ... not so bad actually :D