Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wayland Invitational IV Electric Drag Races!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Turning off Traction Control and spinning the tires for extra heat???

For the most part, the cars doing that came on dedicated racing tires (AKA "drag slicks"). It could shorten the life of street tires to cook them that much. After the burnouts I could hear a sizzling sound from those tires as they bubbled. The Roadster with rear wheel drive, and a strong rear weight bias does rather well at getting power to the track even if the tires haven't been turned to jelly before the run.

It would probably have been more useful to pre-heat the tires if it had been a colder day, or if the track had been freshly cleaned, but in our case the track was already coated with rubber and the ambient temps were rather warm.

tire burnout

Turning off Traction Control and spinning the tires for extra heat???

I'm a newbie drag racer :cool: but if I correctly understand what I was told by other drivers at the event they have a way to engage ONLY the front breaks, leaving the rear wheels free for tire burnout. Without such a mechanism I think the rear breaks would make it hard to spin the tires even with traction control off. And I was never able to get them to spin or slip during a full-on raw acceleration in any case.

I'm a newbie drag racer :cool: but if I correctly understand what I was told by other drivers at the event they have a way to engage ONLY the front breaks, leaving the rear wheels free for tire burnout. Without such a mechanism I think the rear breaks would make it hard to spin the tires even with traction control off. And I was never able to get them to spin or slip during a full-on raw acceleration in any case.
I had to google this, it's called a line lock which is installed on a car so that only the front wheels are locked and the rear wheels are free (kind of like a reversed hand brake). Supposedly it is illegal.

As TED says the heavy rear weight bias + RWD, means the Roadster will have better traction on the drag strip than other cars.

Did anyone do a burnout with a Roadster at the dragstrip? I don't believe I have ever seen the Roadster do a burnout. It's probably more difficult than other cars b/c it doesn't have a clutch and the rear weight bias loads the wheels so it's harder to lose traction.

I had to google this, it's called a line lock which is installed on a car so that only the front wheels are locked and the rear wheels are free (kind of like a reversed hand brake). Supposedly it is illegal.

As TED says the heavy rear weight bias + RWD, means the Roadster will have better traction on the drag strip than other cars.

Did anyone do a burnout with a Roadster at the dragstrip? I don't believe I have ever seen the Roadster do a burnout. It's probably more difficult than other cars b/c it doesn't have a clutch and the rear weight bias loads the wheels so it's harder to lose traction.
Line locks are legal. Quite a few guys use them in drag racing. Anyway, in an ICE car the high 7 1/8th mile times @~88mph would net you high 11's @~116 in the quarter. Since the roadster only has one gear, you can tell the high rpm power tapers off because the trap speeds in the 1/4 mile are so low.

EV recharging area at Wayland Invitational

The EV recharging pit area at the Wayland Invitational. We were all forced to get close and intimate because the "spider" (at end of the second video) is where all of the power came from. Multiple 50 amp outlets were there. So everyone was trying to angle their vehicles to get as many as close as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my photo coverage of Friday, July 24th at PIR for the Wayland Invitational 2009 EVent:

Wayland Invitational 2009 Drag Races at PIR

I regret being unable to return for Saturday's event, I really would have loved see some more of everyone's awesome EV's.

Big thanks to John Wayland and everyone who made this possible!

Disclaimer: My web photo gallery offers prints for sale, but the images are completely free to view. It is not my intention to spam this forum for commercial purposes.

Enjoy!

CamronCamera

Tesla vs Tango. (As much as they kept making the Tango quicker and quicker, there always seemed to be a quicker Tesla. Eventually they got the Tango to go quicker than the 2008s, but then the 2010 Sport was unleashed).

Last edited by a moderator: