Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo or Tesla on a random city & route - who would do better?

If a random route in a random American city was chosen, would Tesla or Waymo be more accurate?

• Waymo

• Tesla

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, Waymo discontinued the Pacifica. They now only use the Jaguar I-Pace. Personally, I like the I-Pace much better.

waymo-i-pace-1583423989.png
IF the future needs a car with that much crap on it to become Autonomous count me out personally. The day Wamo sells cars to consumers they might get my attention or when they go anywhere, any time.

• Funny
Reactions: kabin
That's such BS from Tesla fans. Engineers who work for Tesla or Waymo know how the system works since they designed it. They are a repudiable source. And it is a double standard because Tesla fans accept quotes from Karpathy or Ashok all the time. When Ashok tweets about E2E, you accept it as fact but somehow a conference talk by Anguleov does not count? I have to personally validate the Waymo myself for it to count? If I made a false statement about FSD, it is would be perfectly legit to provide a quote from Karpathy that disproves it but somehow a quote form Anguelov or Dolgov does not count? Tesla fans just don't want to accept facts that are inconvenient.

Maybe I should hold Tesla fans to that standard. You are not allowed to provide any facts about V12 based on quotes from actual Tesla engineers who work on V12. I will only accept personal validation of V12 as proof. You can't because V12 is not public? Tough, I will say that any engineer quotes you provide were lies because you did not personally validate it. See how silly that would be?
Think you missed my point entirely and as usual jump on the Wamo defense as usual. Simply stated using Tesla as the example Not Wamo a quote from an engineer doesn’t always make something a fact or certainty. As you clearly have an invested or emotional position in Wamo I avoid poking your passion for them. As it’s not nor ever will be a consumer available product to purchase I have little interest. It’s fascinating for sure but it should be as it’s all they do.

Think you missed my point entirely and as usual jump on the Wamo defense as usual. Simply stated using Tesla as the example Not Wamo a quote from an engineer doesn’t always make something a fact or certainty. As you clearly have an invested or emotional position in Wamo I avoid poking your passion for them. As it’s not nor ever will be a consumer available product to purchase I have little interest. It’s fascinating for sure but it should be as it’s all they do.

I have no invested or emotional position in Waymo.

I seem to recall that the the I-pace is not long for this world. But with my memory, who knows.

So, I googled it, and yes, it is being discontinued.

Correct. The I-Pace is being discontinued. So, I suspect Waymo may continue to use the I-Pace for testing but shift to the new Geely vehicle as the mass scale robotaxi. And Waymo may announce another vehicle too.

IF the future needs a car with that much crap on it to become Autonomous count me out personally. The day Wamo sells cars to consumers they might get my attention or when they go anywhere, any time.

That "crap" enables the Waymo to be a safe, reliable driverless car now. But already, we see the Geely vehicle has more compact sensors. The sensors will become much more smaller and compact in the future. Tech always gets smaller over time. Computers used to take up entire rooms, now they fit in our pockets. Portable phones in the 80s were very bulky, now smart phones are ultra slim. It stands to reason the same will happen with AV sensors. We see that trend already with the new imaging radar that fits in the front bumper, out of sight. And I imagine as the tech improves, when Waymo is able to ensure same level of safety with fewer sensors, they will. So no, the future will not need "that much crap" to become autonomous. Remember, autonomous driving is still basically at the advanced prototype stage. We are not seeing the true "final product" yet. I imagine driverless cars 30 years from now will look nothing like Tesla or Waymo or Cruise.

Reactions: kabin
That "crap" enables the Waymo to be a safe, reliable driverless car now. But already, we see the Geely vehicle has more compact sensors. The sensors will become much more smaller and compact in the future. Tech always gets smaller over time.
I don’t think it’s size matters in resolving cognitive dissonance borne from being irrationally invested in a company, psychologically and emotionally

• Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke and kabin