Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting video:

We learn that Waymo does detect emergency vehicles and puts a red box around them in the driver display. Waymo will pull over for emergency vehicles.

We see Waymo detect a construction zone and take a detour that appears to be somewhat unnecessary. As they say in the video, it seems the Waymo car did not want to try to squeeze between the center curb and the cones that were in the center lane so it took an easier path.

FnpWVGa.png

Later in the video, we do see Waymo handle an intersection with a person directing traffic because the traffic light was out. That's new and really nice that Waymo can handle that so well.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld
Later in the video, we do see Waymo handle an intersection with a person directing traffic because the traffic light was out. That's new and really nice that Waymo can handle that so well.

That's cool. The traffic light graphic on the UI showed it to be solid red though. Also, I have a feeling a remote operator pushed the "Go" button for the car to proceed because the car just stood there for ~5 seconds after it was clear for it to go (because other cars were going).

We see Waymo detect a construction zone and take a detour that appears to be somewhat unnecessary. As they say in the video, it seems the Waymo car did not want to try to squeeze between the center curb and the cones that were in the center lane so it took an easier path.

That's interesting, as LIDAR is supposed to provide a more accurate 3D representation. The car should have known it could fit between the cone and island.

• Informative
Reactions: mikes_fsd
That's interesting, as LIDAR is supposed to provide a more accurate 3D representation. The car should have known it could fit between the cone and island.
I'm sure the car "knew" that it could fit between the cones. It just didn't know whether it should, that's a much harder problem.
They can drive around cones (at least they could 9 years ago).

Check out Waymo oddly struggling with driving by a large metallic truck at 16:42. Waymo has a lot of weird bugs for having 1 disengagement every 15k miles or whatever it is:

Not sure it had anything to do with the truck. It was trying to change lanes to the right for a future turn. It should have changed when it had room earlier. People bully the Waymo vehicles and don't let them in. haha.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
Not sure it had anything to do with the truck. It was trying to change lanes to the right for a future turn.

Hmmm I'm not sure if that's the case. I watched it a couple times and maybe I'm wrong, but the wheel was clearly jerky, and the passengers even mentioned it being shakey. Wanting to change lanes or not shouldn't cause a jerky wheel. There was no bullying that I saw. The cars on the right were already backed up when the Waymo passed them.

Edit: it looks like the right lane change indicator came on mid way or after the large truck, check the video again. Also I believe the shaking wheel was caused by uncertainty in the truck's position, as shown by the jittery truck box on the UI. This may have to do with the truck's metallic body bouncing the lidar.

Last edited: