Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, even with the lower quality I can see that the lower image has an obstacle (I can even recognize what it is!).
These are images captured from the vehicle involved in the fatal collision in March 2019 (Final Reports for 2 Advanced Driver Assistance System Crash Investigations Published)
I think it's silly to say that Tesla's perception is better than a human. It's very good at seeing lane lines but I still don't think it's better than a human even at that.
So, you are comparing the software running Autopilot in 2019 to the NN's running on FSD Beta?

If anything, what we've seen with FSD Beta only reinforces the Tesla approach of vision first.

Last edited:
yep, like these "simple merges on to the highway"?
https://twitter.com/nitguptaa/status/990683818825736192

Check the time stamp on the video, that's from 2 years ago. Waymo has improved a lot since then.

Tesla is the only one with such advanced features in end-user's hands.

Yet, the Waymo Preacher can't seem to see the improvements in these 2 months.

Of course, I see the improvements that Tesla is making with FSD. That's great. But you want me to just praise Tesla all day for their progress and ignore any progress from Waymo or others? I am not allowed to praise Waymo for their progress and for the FSD that they have?

Tesla is putting advanced driver assist features directly into user hands that nobody else has. That's awesome. I can't wait to get FSD Beta on my Model 3 and try it out. I hope it works great. I wish Tesla the best. I hope they achieve true FSD.

The fact is that Waymo has true FSD. Is it perfect? No of course not. It has limitations. But it is true FSD. I am not going to shy away from praising Waymo for what they have accomplished so far.

I wish Tesla the best. I hope they do succeed in achieving true FSD. But I am not going to ignore the progress of other companies. Waymo, Zoox, Mobileye, Cruise are also making awesome progress on FSD.

I wish all AV companies the best. I want to see as many safe and reliable AVs on public roads as possible. If it is a Waymo car, a Cruise car, a Zoox car, a Mobileye car or a Tesla car, I will applaud them all for their progress.

Of course, I see the improvements that Tesla is making with FSD. That's great. But you want me to just praise Tesla all day for their progress and ignore any progress from Waymo or others?
It has been clear (as day light in AZ) for a long time that Waymo is better in a lot of ways than Tesla. Duh ... they have immense resources compared to Tesla (and they started long before Tesla).

The question has always been their ability to expand beyond ideal conditions in that one city suburb. I'll be impressed when they start expanding fast in multiple cities.

At the moment it looks like Tesla is expanding their feature set faster than Waymo is expanding their geofence.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Do you want an award? or a star sticker maybe?
Or do you think that should make me agree with your POV somehow?

Why the snarkiness? No. I am not asking you change or agree with me. I am just letting you know where I am coming from.

You are the one that keeps starting these debates with me.

It has been clear (as day light in AZ) for a long time that Waymo is better in a lot of ways than Tesla. Duh ... they have immense resources compared to Tesla (and they started long before Tesla).

The question has always been their ability to expand beyond ideal conditions in that one city suburb. I'll be impressed when they start expanding fast in multiple cities.

At the moment it looks like Tesla is expanding their feature set faster than Waymo is expanding their geofence.

Yes, that is a key question.

Tesla and Waymo are approaching FSD from two different angles. Tesla is going "wide", expanding first to everywhere while also improving the driver assist features until they become reliable autonomous driving. Waymo is going "tall", focusing on getting to super reliable autonomous driving where they never need a safety driver first and then expanding everywhere later.

And I have said before that if Tesla does improve FSD on the current fleet to where it is driverless everywhere, then Tesla would absolutely "win" and crush everybody, including Waymo. Obviously, Tesla is not there yet.

I think I have also said that Tesla and Waymo are different businesses. Tesla is aiming for FSD on consumer cars. Waymo is aiming for driverless ride-hailing. Both are equally valid IMO.

Reactions: Doggydogworld

There was some news recently that Waymo wanted to expand in California but was denied, because of billing issue. The California government wants to spend a couple of years figuring out what billing should be before giving a permit. Super ridiculous.

Reactions: diplomat33
My biggest concern with Waymo's approach (based on current video examples) is that LIDAR is used for localization based on environmental reference points, but when those reference points are obstructed or distorted (by mirror-like reflections), the car seems to be less certain of its / other cars' positions. I've seen this various times during drives where the steering wheel jitters around when:

The car is in between two large cars / trucks
The car is near large reflective surfaces
The car is in narrow roads with parked cars on both sides

There was some news recently that Waymo wanted to expand in California but was denied, because of billing issue. The California government wants to spend a couple of years figuring out what billing should be before giving a permit. Super ridiculous.

Yeah, the CA government created this ridiculous 2 step process for getting permission to launch a driverless robotaxi service. First, you have to get a permit from the CA DMV that certifies that you have reliable driverless FSD and then you have to get a permit from the Public Utilities Commission to figure out the pricing etc... And you can't do both simultaneously. You have to wait until you complete the permit process with the CA DMV before you can even start applying for the second permit from the Public Utilities Commission which just drags the process far longer than it needs to be. The process can take months or years. It's why AV companies are leaving CA and deploying their robotaxis in other States like AZ or NV.

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld
Its actually very arrogant to dismiss others observations (esp. when you didn't even apparently see the conditions I was talking about - night + rain etc).
I'm sorry, I get a little triggered when people say a driver assist system is better than a human. I feel like that's a dangerous assumption when there are so many things on the road that may need to be perceived and the system is only really optimized for a subset of them.

I've had autopilot shut off in the rain as well. I think what people keep forgetting that Waymo is trying to validate a system that can operate safely without human oversight. They're using extremely conservative criteria for having the system transition to a minimal risk condition. You can't compare what's safe with no driver vs. what's safe with a safety driver.

I'm sorry, I get a little triggered when people say a driver assist system is better than a human. I feel like that's a dangerous assumption when there are so many things on the road that may need to be perceived and the system is only really optimized for a subset of them.
I am sorry, I get triggered when people keep claiming that human drivers are so great when technology -- from ABS, AEB and ADAS -- has shown a consistent improvement in road safety over humans time and time again!

FSD is putting technology to use where technology has shown its superiority time and time again!

I am sorry, I get triggered when people keep claiming that human drivers are so great when technology -- from ABS, AEB and ADAS -- has shown a consistent improvement in road safety over humans time and time again!

FSD is putting technology to use where technology has shown its superiority time and time again!
I was not commenting on technology assisting humans. We are in agreement on that. Technology can absolutely make humans better drivers.
This is the Waymo thread so I assumed we were talking about technology replacing humans drivers.

I was not commenting on technology assisting humans. We are in agreement on that. Technology can absolutely make humans better drivers.
This is the Waymo thread so I assumed we were talking about technology replacing humans drivers.
The logical conclusion of seeing technology doing better in portions of the driving tasks is to replace all the driving tasks with technology (aka autonomous driving)!

The logical conclusion of seeing technology doing better in portions of the driving tasks is to replace all the driving tasks with technology (aka autonomous driving)!
Of course. That's why about $100 billion has been invested in autonomous driving tech.
Unfortunately it turns out to be an extremely difficult problem to solve.