Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jaguar will discontinue the I-Pace in 2025.

I imagine Waymo will transition to the Geely vehicle by then. I wonder if Waymo will buy I-Pace before they are discontinued, buy another car from someone or just go all-in on the Geely vehicle.

Waymo will start charging for rides in SF next Monday (Aug 21).

ItWiSQA.jpeg

0PJXFNr.png

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld
Also, not exactly Waymo related but looks like a Cruise vehicle got stuck in wet concrete.

Incidents like this hurt the general perception of AVs, really wish Cruise would get their *sugar* together, by either putting safety drivers back in their cars until they can work out their major issues, or at least have more staff nearby for incident response.

Also, not exactly Waymo related but looks like a Cruise vehicle got stuck in wet concrete.

I posted it yesterday in the autonomous driving progress thread. I think Cruise stuff generally belongs in that thread. This thread is just for Waymo.

Incidents like this hurt the general perception of AVs, really wish Cruise would get their *sugar* together, by either putting safety drivers back in their cars until they can work out their major issues, or at least have more staff nearby for incident response.

Cruise has had several viral incidents, including the big mass stall at the festival. They had another one yesterday where the car stopped in the middle of an intersection and then went through a construction zone on the wrong side of the road. See my post here:

I feel like Cruise should keep the safety drivers in the cars until they resolve these issues, especially since there are so many.

These incidents give AVs a bad name because it makes people think that AVs are super dumb and not ready for prime time. I think there is a general expectation from the public that AVs should at least be able to handle scenarios that human drivers can handle. And I don't think the public really differentiates between different AV companies. So when they see a Cruise stall, they just generalize it to all AVs.

Reactions: hooty and flutas
Driving in Chandler is pretty boring but this is another nice video by JJ Ricks.

00:00 Off we go!… what
00:55 The most awkward pitch of all time (sorry)
01:05 Unprotected right
03:00 Protected left
04:05 Absolutely insane double lane change
06:05 Very good unprotected right
06:45 Double lane change
10:55 Right through a yellow light
11:40 Return of the phantom windshield wipers
12:32 Super aggressive overtake dude
17:40 Smoothly keeping distance from a truck
18:50 Unprotected left, really cutting it close
21:20 Tricky unprotected left
21:30 Weird dead end alley, tight clearance

That double lane change at 4:05 was super NICE! The unprotected left at 18:50 was very confident too IMO.

On Reddit, Brad Templeton posted this:

That's a little bit sneaky, Waymo, to make such a direct dig at Cruise. This is, of course, the exact location where a Cruise drove into the wet cement. But it's a different time so we can't be sure how the equipment and cones were configured when the Cruise screwed it up.

So apparently, that Waymo clip is from the same location (but different time) from where the Cruise drove into the wet cement. So Waymo is making a dig at Cruise by showing that their AV can handle that location and can adapt to the construction zone.

00:00 Off we go once more!
00:00 Same weird dead end alley but in reverse
01:05 Very very impressive unprotected left
03:57 Nice cones demo
06:10 Teeny bit of reactive braking for truck that jumps out of the opposite lane
11:05 Protected left
13:15 Squeezing past a truck, shifting in the lane
16:25 Unprotected left
17:35 Stop sign unprotected left

01:05 is a lot like Chuck's unprotected left turn scenario. We see Waymo handle it great!