Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waypoints are coming to Tesla vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The same old rationale that this car should have all the features of every single car out there that is less than $50k is in itself ridiculous. :)
It’s even more ridiculous given the tech this car does has over other cars.

I’ll say it again, some people are always glass half empty, and never happy. …

Not looking for an argument here, but if you don't articulate expectations, manufacturers will not have any real incentive to improve their products. The car should be up to "standard", that standard being generally perceived by customers based on their experience with other cars in the same bracket. There is nothing ridiculous about it. My comments are about day to day usability - I don't dispute that (for example) Tesla battery tech is superior.

And note, I still put my money down, because the driving experience is so brilliant. Delivery 6th Dec!

Reactions: hcdavis3
Waypoints will be crucial for robotaxi's - people will spend hours selecting the best drive through daiquiri shop on the way to their destination.

Elon probably hasn't considered this up until now - better late than never.

I’ve never seen any advertising about ANC for this car, or that it was in my order for mine. ?
I’m not certain of this either though.
Where does the advertising state it comes with it. ?

It is on the website amd is mentioned a couple of times. It is in the owners manual. The microphones are in the car.

Now it is called active road noise reduction. But still not active.

• Informative
Reactions: M109Rider
Waypoints and Tidal in one update? Wow, I think I will have to upgrade the MCU1 now.

It is not being pushed out very vigorously however.... only 1 model 3 registered on Teslafi has it so far

And active noise cancellation for the new Model S'/X's is a very desirable feature

(edit: looks like Tidal and noise reduction was included in 2021.40)

2021.40.5 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates

Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 5.34.28 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Waypoints and Tidal in one update? Wow, I think I will have to upgrade the MCU1 now.

It is not being pushed out very vigorously however.... only 1 model 3 registered on Teslafi has it so far

And active noise cancellation for the new Model S'/X's is a very desirable feature

(edit: looks like Tidal and noise reduction was included in 2021.40)

2021.40.5 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates

View attachment 732271

It looks as if the ANC was falsely reported for the 40. update. It is not in this update either. At least it seems like people have not reported it yet as being there.

ETA: I seem to be 1 week behind on updates v release so I will know more next week.

Reactions: MP3Mike
For my needs, waypoints would be one of my most used features when added. Can’t wait. !

The devil is in the details. I hope it has a better UI than the ToU charging interface. I've used it before, but not very often so I have to read up on it each time because it is so counter intuitive I don't retain it.

I'm trying to picture how Tesla might design it and I can't figure a way they will make it functional and simple. If the ToU feature is an indication they will go for simple and give up some useful functionality. I use ABRP for what-if planning and it is not great, but workable. Their biggest flaw is the lack of clear documentation on how the durn interface works. I'm just not seeing this better on the car unless they get a working browser and just let you use the ABRP tool. Maybe Tesla will pull a Microsoft; rather than write their own code they will buy ABRP and integrate their tool?

Reactions: Sporty
I don't really care about waypoints but since looking at the new S owner's manual there is still no option to avoid highways I guess waypoints will be a decent workaround.

My usage is different now, but I used to do a regular trip that pushed the range on my X and much preferred the "back" roads (still highway, but with a few traffic lights) to the main roads which often are backed up or have accidents. There were times I'd be 50 miles into the back route before the car would give up trying to get me to turn around and just lay in the route I wanted to follow.

It's also hard to get the tool to plan the route using the charger that gets you a few more miles before stopping. I know it wants to stop a bit more often so the charging is a bit faster, but that's not always optimal for me since it makes the stops so short I can't get a decent meal. Just the other day I didn't have time to charge and eat without paying hefty idle fees. The restaurant isn't always so close to the charger and the walking time is significant... but charger placement is another thread...

It's also hard to get the tool to plan the route using the charger that gets you a few more miles before stopping. I know it wants to stop a bit more often so the charging is a bit faster, but that's not always optimal for me since it makes the stops so short I can't get a decent meal. Just the other day I didn't have time to charge and eat without paying hefty idle fees. The restaurant isn't always so close to the charger and the walking time is significant... but charger placement is another thread...
Ditto. Sometimes I am not so disappointed in the slower supercharger rates if it provides ample time to not worry about rushing through a meal.

There should be an automatic "unlock connector and summon to empty spot" option after charging to a certain level. Wishful thinking I know.

Reactions: Falcon73
Ditto. Sometimes I am not so disappointed in the slower supercharger rates if it provides ample time to not worry about rushing through a meal.

There should be an automatic "unlock connector and summon to empty spot" option after charging to a certain level. Wishful thinking I know.

Given the $1 per minute idle fee, I've wondered if there might be a business opportunity for someone to hang at the chargers and for $5 will unplug your car when you reach the end of your charging. I guess there's no way for them to know unless you text them. I think the car doesn't show charging status once you walk away with the key.

Of course this ties up the parking space which many will be upset about, but the alternative is to leave your key with them which means they need to be someone proven to be reliable. Not sure how to manage that other than to establish history. But if you are going to move cars, that gets into issues of insurance and liability. You might also run afoul of the owners of the property.

Certainly someday that should be possible, biggest problem is that the cables are limp.