Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We don't all have budget for protective wraps & ceramic coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
03129236-F9F1-4A86-BEFA-3B04EC793540.jpeg
Oh, and my M3 is fully wrapped in Xpel PPF, so wasn't sure if HS or BM is more PPF friendly.
joebruin77

XPEL has Ceramic Boost for on top of XPEL. I think it is Adams Ceramic designed for XPEL.

• Helpful
Reactions: joebruin77
Hey, Jayson,
I have used Hyper Seal and absolutely love it. I was curious if you have any experience in comparing Hyper Seal to Bead Maker? I know Hyper Seal has SiO2 and Bead Maker does not, so Bead Maker does not last nearly as long as Hyper Seal. But Hyper Seal is a lot more expensive than Bead Maker, so I was thinking of using Hyper Seal once every 3 or 4 months and Bead Maker as a drying aid for my maintenance washes.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Oh, and my M3 is fully wrapped in Xpel PPF, so wasn't sure if HS or BM is more PPF friendly.

Thank you,
joebruin77
I would say that if you think Hyper Seal is too expensive than you're using way too much of it. It literally takes half a squirt for 1-2 panels, especially if using as a drying aid.
For example on a Model 3 or S, when using as a drying aid, one full squirt for the entire hood, then a full squirt for a front fender AND front door, another squirt for the read door and rear fender, one for the top of the trunk AND rear bumper, then continue in the same fashion on the other side of the car. 6 squirts max is all your need for the entire car.
That one bottle should last you well over a year.

• Helpful
Reactions: joebruin77
I would say that if you think Hyper Seal is too expensive than you're using way too much of it. It literally takes half a squirt for 1-2 panels, especially if using as a drying aid.
For example on a Model 3 or S, when using as a drying aid, one full squirt for the entire hood, then a full squirt for a front fender AND front door, another squirt for the read door and rear fender, one for the top of the trunk AND rear bumper, then continue in the same fashion on the other side of the car. 6 squirts max is all your need for the entire car.
That one bottle should last you well over a year.

You are probably right. I appreciate the helpful suggestion!

Reactions: JasontheBeaver
For drying, using air is great.

But if you don't have a leaf blower or just want to dry using a towel, I strongly recommend getting a Griot's Garage PFM drying towel. After washing a panel or two, spritz on a couple of sprays of drying aid (not necessary, but I like doing it) and dry with the GG PFM. It's so plush and absorbent, you can just drape the towel and drag by the corners and it will dry the paint. One large towel is more than sufficient to dry the entire car without having to wring out.

Much better than waffle weave microfiber towels IMHO.

For drying, using air is great.

But if you don't have a leaf blower or just want to dry using a towel, I strongly recommend getting a Griot's Garage PFM drying towel. After washing a panel or two, spritz on a couple of sprays of drying aid (not necessary, but I like doing it) and dry with the GG PFM. It's so plush and absorbent, you can just drape the towel and drag by the corners and it will dry the paint. One large towel is more than sufficient to dry the entire car without having to wring out.

Much better than waffle weave microfiber towels IMHO.

Sounds like a great drying towel. What drying aid do you use with it?

So what's the next best thing?

I saw a thread about waterless wash -- I'm not afraid to wash a car, and I don't understand how waterless wash works without scratching the heck out of the finish.

I also don't want to spend hours applying a traditional wax and then buffing it to a shine.

I keep seeing ads before youtube videos for stuff like "TopCoat F11" and other products.

I guess I'm looking for something that's easy to apply and has a great shine. I don't mind reapplying every month or two if I have to.

I think the waterless is mostly for areas with water restrictions. I would never use it if water restrictions don’t apply.

I sometimes think people think it’s some magical formula over using water. Because they read reviews for people that have to use it. Then it snow balls.

Some folks want to wash car indoors in winter too. When it’s that bad, mine just doesn’t get washed. No one will notice but me. It will be grimy before I hit the end of my street in the middle of winter.

I still use one bucket, a ton of soap and a ton of water and my 3 year old car that has never been waxed looks like it just came out of the showroom. I won’t name the brand of that car because I’ll get bashed for it. My 9 month old NewEngland weather winter Model 3 looks show room too. No PPF, nothing.

I still use one bucket, a ton of soap and a ton of water and my 3 year old car that has never been waxed looks like it just came out of the showroom. I won’t name the brand of that car because I’ll get bashed for it. My 9 month old NewEngland weather winter Model 3 looks show room too. No PPF, nothing.

Hah, no bashing. Before I got my Model 3 I drove a THIRTEEN YEAR OLD Suzuki SX-4 -- and when it was clean it also looked right out of the showroom. Now my son drives it.

Reactions: mswlogo
Just costed my news wheels in gyeon rim2. This was EXTREMELY tedious and took about 2 hours but I’m sure I’ll be happy after my fish wash. These would be a pita to need to clean throughly every wash without the coating. Just need lugnuts now since the stock ones are a bit too fat. i did a spray on, spray off coating for the stock wheels and it worked really well, i figured since i had the wheels off i might as well do a legit coating. i will clean and ceramic coat the stock wheels after the swap.
9E827FE0-68A0-4486-8285-219E514F6199.jpeg

Hey, Jayson,
I have used Hyper Seal and absolutely love it. I was curious if you have any experience in comparing Hyper Seal to Bead Maker? I know Hyper Seal has SiO2 and Bead Maker does not, so Bead Maker does not last nearly as long as Hyper Seal. But Hyper Seal is a lot more expensive than Bead Maker, so I was thinking of using Hyper Seal once every 3 or 4 months and Bead Maker as a drying aid for my maintenance washes.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,
joebruin77
I have a bottle of Opti Seal I’ve used on every wash for easily a year and still have 30% left. Hyper seal is the same. It’s expensive for one bottle but it lasts forever.

Looking good! (Exact same car configuration as me.)

Thank you! ... except ... I told a little fib. There’s no PPF or ceramic on this car. I’m happy just the way it is.

I don’t live in a museum or a showroom; minor dents and dings and stuff happen. I bought this car to use, drive and enjoy .... don’t see the need for wrapping it and coating with ceramic.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: Kleenerth3 and KenC
Thank you! ... except ... I told a little fib. There’s no PPF or ceramic on this car. I’m happy just the way it is.

I don’t live in a museum or a showroom; minor dents and dings and stuff happen. I bought this car to use, drive and enjoy .... don’t see the need for wrapping it and coating with ceramic.

I'm in same boat! i'm feeling like i am neglecting my little model 3 in black. I take it through a car wash once in awhile and it looks great for a week :) I have a 5 yo mercedes SUV which doesn't get much use anymore, haven't had a car wash in a year. Hopefully the dirt and dust are protecting it for further insult

I totally understand where you're coming from on this, but I have to mention the value that ceramic coatings and PPF have in boosting resale values also. There are a million variables at play here of course, and it doesn't mean that someone always recovers the entire cost of coating and/or PPF in resale value, but they also get the benefits of those protections the entire time they own the car.
It's pretty clear you already understand this, I just comment for those who may not have thought of all variables and benefits.

Reactions: dmurphy
I totally understand where you're coming from on this, but I have to mention the value that ceramic coatings and PPF have in boosting resale values also. There are a million variables at play here of course, and it doesn't mean that someone always recovers the entire cost of coating and/or PPF in resale value, but they also get the benefits of those protections the entire time they own the car.
It's pretty clear you already understand this, I just comment for those who may not have thought of all variables and benefits.

I think you’re right, for a private resale. As a tradein or sale to any dealer, I don’t think you’d recover any of that money.

All that said - it’s immaterial for me anyway. My son’s going into 7th grade. The plan is for this to be his first car after HS graduation. Think about it - a world where he’ll never have to drive an ICE car. I love that.

View attachment 425473

XPEL has Ceramic Boost for on top of XPEL. I think it is Adams Ceramic designed for XPEL.
You are absolutely correct! Adams ceramic boost is one in the same. I just spent the last couple of days doing the paint correction with McGuire's polish#4 and having Xpel clear bra installed. Since I have a lot of detailing stuff already, the cost of the entire exterior protection was really reasonable.
- Xpel clear bra including lights and blinkers = $580
- Adam's ceramic coating =$85
- Adams glass sealant and cleaner = $40
- Ceramic Boost = free
- Total =$ 705
The OP thought doing these things were quite expensive and if you're willing to do some or most of the work yourself that doesn't have to be the case. Oh yeah...
- Rally Armour mud flaps = $35

You don't have to spend a ton of money if you want to protect most people's 2nd most valuable purchase. Also will help come resale time, might even recoup original investment. ( See diff. on KBB between exceptional condition and good).
Atles is in the garage, curing the ceramic coating. Tomorrow will post pics after I apply ceramic boost and pull out of the garage. Until then...

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Introducing my car Atles.
A lot of people in these threads gave me the cajones to try new things and this is what happens when you step out of your comfort zone.
Ckanderson and Joebruin77, a special thanks to you both for all your help and support... And occasional poke :p
Without your encouragement I'd still be waxing.

Attachments

• IMG_20190710_102936442.jpg
    IMG_20190710_102936442.jpg
    609.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20190710_102952907.jpg
    IMG_20190710_102952907.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20190710_103224245_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190710_103224245_HDR.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 87