Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We don't all have budget for protective wraps & ceramic coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had mentioned this earlier in the thread, for the past 20 years of car ownership I essentially used a one bucket method and really did not know much or anything about proper ways to really wash and take care of a car's exterior.

I've had my Model 3 for 3-4 days now, and today am going to try a first wash using ONR and then apply bead maker afterwards. I really want to keep the paint protected and in good shape in general.

What I'm torn about is whether to go with PPF. I'm going to be getting ceramic window tinting done at a pretty reputable shop, and they also have a lot of experience with XPEL PPF and have done several hundred Model 3s. I can kind of work PPF into my budget, but it feels like quite a significant expense (was looking at entire front end and rocker panels).

I guess the significant advantage to PPF as opposed to just using a sealant of some sort will be protecting the paint from grit and debris that will hit the front end while driving? In one thought I want to protect the car as much as possible, but in another it is just a car and it feels a bit nuts to spend so much money where I haven't been bothered by usual wear on the front end on my previous vehicles.

Any thoughts or feedback at all?

I had mentioned this earlier in the thread, for the past 20 years of car ownership I essentially used a one bucket method and really did not know much or anything about proper ways to really wash and take care of a car's exterior.

I've had my Model 3 for 3-4 days now, and today am going to try a first wash using ONR and then apply bead maker afterwards. I really want to keep the paint protected and in good shape in general.

What I'm torn about is whether to go with PPF. I'm going to be getting ceramic window tinting done at a pretty reputable shop, and they also have a lot of experience with XPEL PPF and have done several hundred Model 3s. I can kind of work PPF into my budget, but it feels like quite a significant expense (was looking at entire front end and rocker panels).

I guess the significant advantage to PPF as opposed to just using a sealant of some sort will be protecting the paint from grit and debris that will hit the front end while driving? In one thought I want to protect the car as much as possible, but in another it is just a car and it feels a bit nuts to spend so much money where I haven't been bothered by usual wear on the front end on my previous vehicles.

Any thoughts or feedback at all?

Tesla paint is softer than any car I’ve had and is more prone to chips/pitting....as seen by others that have posted pics of their rocker panels. That being said if you’re not bothered than it might not be worth it. For me...I’m meticulous about my paint, do weekly full foam gun two bucket washes, my own paint correction ceramic coating etc. to me it absolutely is worth it. If I were to do it again I would have PPF the whole car, which my installer was not charging much more than the full front and rockers. The PPF today is much better than the one I had put on my bmw 10 yrs ago. Orange peel is non existent and the self healing is awesome.

Tesla paint is softer than any car I’ve had and is more prone to chips/pitting....as seen by others that have posted pics of their rocker panels. That being said if you’re not bothered than it might not be worth it. For me...I’m meticulous about my paint, do weekly full foam gun two bucket washes, my own paint correction ceramic coating etc. to me it absolutely is worth it. If I were to do it again I would have PPF the whole car, which my installer was not charging much more than the full front and rockers. The PPF today is much better than the one I had put on my bmw 10 yrs ago. Orange peel is non existent and the self healing is awesome.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Peeling was one of the things that made me nervous. I read a few times about edges slightly peeling, and then attracting dirt. That would really drive me insane. But it sounds like if wrapped properly around the edges it shouldn’t be a concern, and there is a 10 year warranty included.

For me, PPF was worth it for all the road construction that was happening around work. Now, they are going to add a HOV lane to the freeway we use daily and it will be a 3+ year project. Lots of gravel and rocks flying around.

Great point - thank you.

Of course, cars have existed quite well without PPF for most of their history. So if you cannot afford PPF or just prefer to do without it, that is totally fine. However, I personally chose to have my entire car covered in PPF. The reason is that it is a revolutionary product that provides unique protection unlike any other product on the market. What many people don't know about PPF is that it is self-healing. Someone could key your car and, after 20 minutes in the sun's heat, the key marks would be totally gone.

I have posted this video elsewhere on this site, but I think it is such a cool demonstration of how PPF self heals and protects. Watching this video is what convinced me to get PPF. I love the moment where the guy purposely scratches his paint with a wire brush and, as he is doing it, admits that his heart is racing...LOL.

Thanks guys - really appreciate that feedback.

For the first time today I washed my model 3 using ONR. What a feeling being able to do something like that in a garage / not in direct sun. Kind of blew my mind how much nicer it was compared to years of washing my cars using a single bucket and sponge and re-introducing dirty water over and over to the car.

Also did a full application of Bead Maker afterwards. Crazy how glossy feeling the finish is now.

Reactions: Thp3 and Kleenerth3
Thanks guys - really appreciate that feedback.

For the first time today I washed my model 3 using ONR. What a feeling being able to do something like that in a garage / not in direct sun. Kind of blew my mind how much nicer it was compared to years of washing my cars using a single bucket and sponge and re-introducing dirty water over and over to the car.

Also did a full application of Bead Maker afterwards. Crazy how glossy feeling the finish is now.
I would definitely be taking ck's and JoeB's advise and at least look at a PPF clear bra.
Mine is Xpel and includes the blinkers and lights. After paint correction, I had SunDiego Detailing install it, then did the ceramic coating myself. Without a grill, the paint on the nose is going to take a beating. I think it's well worth it and less $ than having the local body shop touch it up in a few years. I posted pics earlier in the thread and what the job cost me to do. The Xpel clear bra was $580 and I'm sure glad that I did it sooner than later.
Enjoy your 3 brother. :cool:

Reactions: Joey_82
Thanks @Kleenerth3

I agree. Every time I see the car in person, and the low profile at the front with that nose, I feel bad not protecting it more if I can.

Pulled the trigger on XPEL PPF + Ceramic tint today. PPF on hood, bumper, quarter panels, mirrors and lights. Booked in for next week. Going to be tough to be without the car for 4-5 days.
Nicely done! Guaranteed you won't be sorry. I wish I had the budget for the entire front, like you.
LONG 4/ 5 days. I had to go without mine for a day. Waaa! Booking the window tint tomorrow. Good luck and post the results. I'd love to see it done! :cool:

Nicely done! Guaranteed you won't be sorry. I wish I had the budget for the entire front, like you.
LONG 4/ 5 days. I had to go without mine for a day. Waaa! Booking the window tint tomorrow. Good luck and post the results. I'd love to see it done! :cool:

Thanks! The car is so new and the whole front end just looks impeccable right now. Protecting it from debris during driving and harsh winters just really sold me on it, especially given that I really want to take care of this car and keep it looking brand new for many years.

I'll share some photos when done, though I imagine it'll be hard to tell lol. The window tint always gives a nice look though.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
Forgot to mention / ask about this earlier. When I was washing the car for the first time I noticed what seemed to be a protective layer / strip of some sort along the rocker panel on my 3. continuous piece along the whole thing. Was this always on the 3? Curious as I have read through some threads about paint quality and the rocker taking a bit of a beating and paint wearing badly through winters and such (more prominent on black exterior it seemed).

3.png

Forgot to mention / ask about this earlier. When I was washing the car for the first time I noticed what seemed to be a protective layer / strip of some sort along the rocker panel on my 3. continuous piece along the whole thing. Was this always on the 3? Curious as I have read through some threads about paint quality and the rocker taking a bit of a beating and paint wearing badly through winters and such (more prominent on black exterior it seemed).

View attachment 441488
I believe that it's Xpel protecting the rocker panels. My Xpel clear bra installer was 90% sure. It's already saved my rocker panel from a good scratch.
There are several spots on the side that can get a lot of abuse, especially the one in front of the rear tires along with the door bottoms below the ridge.

Anyone have experience with Jescar Ultra lock plus? Just leased a 24 MYLR, not looking to spend on PPF since it a lease, and I live in an apt building and I don’t have access to wash my car there. Was thinking to use the ultra lock by Jescar polymer sealant with ceramic hoping it will help with any issues if I was To use a drive thru wash that I have a membership with

Anyone have experience with Jescar Ultra lock plus? Just leased a 24 MYLR, not looking to spend on PPF since it a lease, and I live in an apt building and I don’t have access to wash my car there. Was thinking to use the ultra lock by Jescar polymer sealant with ceramic hoping it will help with any issues if I was To use a drive thru wash that I have a membership with

Jescar Ultra Lock Plus is a newer version of Jescar Power Lock sealant that is infused with ceramic. It is an excellent sealant and should provide at least 4- 6 months worth of protection. That said, just like any other ceramic-infused sealant, it will not protect your car's paint against small scratches and swirls. If you take it to a commercial car wash, you will still get small scratches and swirl marks over time. But if you don't care too much about that, then you should be fine.

In case you are curious, here is a video review of Jescar Ultra Power Lock Plus from a well-respected Youtube professional detailer Brian with Apex Detail:

Reactions: Thp3