Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We don't all have budget for protective wraps & ceramic coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A guy I know has worked with Yvan Lacroix (spokesman for Optimum car products), who mentioned that the tiny micro marring "won't be noticed by customers" by the BRS.

I have also tried the BRS with ONR (2 weeks since the last wash with ONR/ cuffless mitt), and despite being super gentle (one swipe, flip, another swipe, dunk, repeat), I saw a bit of marring. It could have been from the factory, but I think to be on the safe side, I will go back to using a cuffless microfiber mitt with ONR.

Side note: ONR + opti-seal is flat out amazing. Can't go back to 2 bucket washes, as that method scratches way more than it should.
I'm with you, I prefer the microfiber noodle wash mitts over the BRS.

CarPro HydrO2 Concentrate 100ml

Carpro hydrO2

for my 3 i did the whole works, paint corrected, ceramic, topcoat etc but for my wifes honda oddessy, i just try and keep it clean. the other day i tried to product above on the minivan.

HOLY BALLS

i did a 2 bucket wash on the minivan and while still wet i sprayed the hydrO2 on a few panels at a time and then almost immediately power washed it off. her car feels super slick, has nearly all the hydrophobic properties of my car which i spent days on coating and was the most stupid simple thing i've ever applied to a car. after i did all the panels i took a straight hose and "flooded" the car with water and the whole car was nearly dry from that. i used a small microfiber to dry a few spots and was done. her car still looks and feels great a week later.

i dont know how long it will last compared to all the crap i put on my tesla but damn it was easy.
The guy who did my PPF and ceramic coating recommended this stuff. Supposed to use 3-4 times a year. Glad it seems to be working for you!

So, questions. I got this ONR kit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L27J7HX/

(The big red sponge I ordered separately doesn't deliver for another week or two -- no idea why). I assume I wash using the green mitt and dry with the blue towels?

For the bottoms of the doors and behind the wheels where it gets really dirty how do you prep that area? Those areas seem really dirty to start with the ONR.

Also, has anyone dried their cars using a powerful leaf blower? Wondering if that's better than using the towels. Or at least starting with the blower and finishing with the towels.

Thanks!

If you want a really simple regimen and don't want to go to the trouble of a ceramic coating, I suggest using either Opti Seal or Hyper Seal, both are made by Optimum. Opti Seal is their original polymer sealant and is super easy to use. Just apply it to clean paint. There are lots of videos on youtube on how to apply it. You can almost wipe on and walk away. I say almost because I find you still have to go back and, with a clean micro fiber towel, and wipe the high spots off. But it is super easy to use, especially when compared to the old school car waxes that require tons of buffing.

Hyper Seal, also a sealant, is in their professional line. It contains SiO2, so it does have the same ingredient as ceramic coatings. I absolutely LOVE Hyper Seal. It is like Opti Seal on steroids. It goes on super smooth and easy. The paint is left feeling super slick.

If you apply Hyper Seal once every 4 or 5 months, your car will have quite a bit of protection from a product that is super easy to use.

Great info. What’s the cheapest place to get hyper-seal? I can’t seem to find it in any place except direct from the manufacturer.

Great info. What’s the cheapest place to get hyper-seal? I can’t seem to find it in any place except direct from the manufacturer.

As far as I can tell, you can only buy it from the manufacturer or from a professional detailer. I am not sure why Optimum does this, other than Hyper Seal is considered a professional grade product. I bought mine directly from the Opti Coat website.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG

(The big red sponge I ordered separately doesn't deliver for another week or two -- no idea why). I assume I wash using the green mitt and dry with the blue towels?

For the bottoms of the doors and behind the wheels where it gets really dirty how do you prep that area? Those areas seem really dirty to start with the ONR.

Also, has anyone dried their cars using a powerful leaf blower? Wondering if that's better than using the towels. Or at least starting with the blower and finishing with the towels.

Thanks!

It depends on how dirty those areas are. If they are super dirty, I would first rinse off with a hose until any visible dirt is gone. You can also prepare a more concentrated solution of ONR (check the bottle for the correct dilution ratio) and put it in a spray bottle. Then spray and saturate those areas with this solution and let it dwell for a few minutes. Then you can either rinse off with water (from a hose or spray bottle) or just proceed with regular rinseless wash. As always, do not wash the car in direct sunlight.

As for the drying w air idea, lots of people use leaf blowers. However leaf blowers can pick up small rocks or particles, which in turn scratch your paint. If you want to dry with air, it is best to use an air compressor.

If your motivation to dry with a blower is to avoid touching the paint (to avoid inducing swirls), there is another option to avoid swirls which is to use a drying aid. The best one I have found is Hydrate by Ammo NYC. You can dry an entire car with a wet/damp MF towel. It is pretty cool to dry a car with a wet towel. Hard to believe but it does work.

I have also used Meguiars D156 (a professional version of their Ultimate Quick Wax) as a great drying aid.

It depends on how dirty those areas are. If they are super dirty, I would first rinse off with a hose until any visible dirt is gone. You can also prepare a more concentrated solution of ONR (check the bottle for the correct dilution ratio) and put it in a spray bottle. Then spray and saturate those areas with this solution and let it dwell for a few minutes. Then you can either rinse off with water (from a hose or spray bottle) or just proceed with regular rinseless wash. As always, do not wash the car in direct sunlight.

As for the drying w air idea, lots of people use leaf blowers. However leaf blowers can pick up small rocks or particles, which in turn scratch your paint. If you want to dry with air, it is best to use an air compressor.

If your motivation to dry with a blower is to avoid touching the paint (to avoid inducing swirls), there is another option to avoid swirls which is to use a drying aid. The best one I have found is Hydrate by Ammo NYC. You can dry an entire car with a wet/damp MF towel. It is pretty cool to dry a car with a wet towel. Hard to believe but it does work.

I have also used Meguiars D156 (a professional version of their Ultimate Quick Wax) as a great drying aid.

A leaf blower is fine. I don’t know what you mean about it picking up rocks or particles? That seems massively unlikely.

A leaf blower is fine. I don’t know what you mean about it picking up rocks or particles? That seems massively unlikely.

You’re probably right. I am not basing that on personal experience, just on other postings I have read on TMC.

I personally would be a bit concerned about blowing strong air on sensors, edges of PPF, or other sensitive parts of the car. That’s why I prefer using Hydrate or a drying aid as opposed to forced air.

You’re probably right. I am not basing that on personal experience, just on other postings I have read on TMC.

I personally would be a bit concerned about blowing strong air on sensors, edges of PPF, or other sensitive parts of the car. That’s why I prefer using Hydrate or a drying aid as opposed to forced air.

I think you’re worried for no reason. Think about the airflow when you’re doing 70mph on the highway into a headwind of any sort. That’s a far greater amount of airflow than a leafblower.

Anything else I should pick up from Opti-coat aside from the Hyper Seal?

Thanks!
You can pre spray the area with QD or diluted power clean. I don’t. I also dont get scratches either.

Hyper seal is only available from optimum.

I guess you could use a blow dryer, but not sure how well that would work in terms of dirt removal/water spots. Towels work fine.

I think you’re worried for no reason. Think about the airflow when you’re doing 70mph on the highway into a headwind of any sort. That’s a far greater amount of airflow than a leafblower.

If you have Gloss Coat they make a maintenance wash you can use, helps with gloss. Expensive AF and not really worth it IMHO

I haven’t had any direct experience with any or the other products from opti coat. I thought about trying the wash, but I am so happy with ONR I don’t see the point. Let us know if you try anything else from the opti cost pro line.

Reactions: WilliamG
So I finished my first washing using ONR -- seems easy enough (probably since the car is brand new and not very dirty)

The only thing I noticed is lots of streaking on the windshield (only noticeable from the inside out). Maybe I didn't dry it well enough.

So I finished my first washing using ONR -- seems easy enough (probably since the car is brand new and not very dirty)

The only thing I noticed is lots of streaking on the windshield (only noticeable from the inside out). Maybe I didn't dry it well enough.

I love using ONR, hope you liked it. I haven’t noticed any streaking on glass. Could any of these have caused of the streaking?
1) Did you wash in sunlight or when the glass surface was warm or hot?
2) Did you use the correct dilution ratio? Could you have used too much ONR solution?
3) Like you mentioned, did you not dry the windows thoroughly or did you dry them with a towel that may have been a little damp?

I haven't used a leaf blower to dry my cars, but I do have a Metro-Vac Air Force Master Blaster Revolution (warm filtered air) I got a couple of years ago. I think what I like the best about it, is getting those water drops out between the small gaps of body and trim panels that are hard to get to with towels. Works good in getting water out between lug nuts and rims also.....but... it's loud.

I love using ONR, hope you liked it. I haven’t noticed any streaking on glass. Could any of these have caused of the streaking?
1) Did you wash in sunlight or when the glass surface was warm or hot?
2) Did you use the correct dilution ratio? Could you have used too much ONR solution?
3) Like you mentioned, did you not dry the windows thoroughly or did you dry them with a towel that may have been a little damp?
I might have used a bit too much ONR. I think it said an once for every two gallons. I used a five gallon bucket and I think I may have put four ounces in.