Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We must face facts - Logging is part of the solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking of carbon sequestration, how about instead of burning fossil fuels for electricity and pumping CO2 underground we instead grow and farm new fast growing tress/shrubs/forests, harvest the vegetation at optimal times, then bury/sequester the wood deep under ground.

There’s probably some maths of costs and land management to be done here.

Thinking of carbon sequestration, how about instead of burning fossil fuels for electricity and pumping CO2 underground we instead grow and farm new fast growing tress/shrubs/forests, harvest the vegetation at optimal times, then bury/sequester the wood deep under ground.

There’s probably some maths of costs and land management to be done here.
"Deep" underground is, once again, liable to be prey to the same fantasy as other human perspectives. In order for such material truly to become sequestered, as in what happened to the teratonnes of carbon in (primarily) the pre-Permian eras, it needs to be subjected not to puny human endeavours, but to such inconceivably monstrous activities like plate subductions.

I couldn't correct at least one finger-slip from my prior post; that bizarre "...cycle is long only inform..." should have read "...only from..."

Good to see this discussion.
When you cut down a tree, as much as 70% of the carbon captured by that tree remains in the ground. The surrounding trees then have more space to grow and capture carbon (unless you do clear cutting). We need to expand forests and keep them healthy by selective forestry.
I'm building a house now and it's amazing how much wood goes into that house. This is a second home on my property where the original house is 60 years old and all of that wood is still intact.
We are surrounded by National Forest and State Park land. They have been thinning this forest for the past few years to improve forest health and reduce fire danger. Lots of carbon sequestered here.

"Deep" underground is, once again, liable to be prey to the same fantasy as other human perspectives. In order for such material truly to become sequestered, as in what happened to the teratonnes of carbon in (primarily) the pre-Permian eras, it needs to be subjected not to puny human endeavours, but to such inconceivably monstrous activities like plate subductions.
Right, but how many years does it take to become truly sequestered with subduction? That timescale is not needed here.

Sequestering most of the carbon largely anaerobically for even a few thousand years could work while we sort out things.