Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We the People Petition on Tesla Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
His complete failure to use the "bully pulpit" to advocate a solar electric economy has just cost the Democratic party my vote.

While I am completely aware of "states rights" and the legislative process, I expect great leadership from an American President. This is not great leadership.

Curt, you are politically savvy. The White House certainly could have come out with a more ringing endorsement of EVs and a direct sales choice without endorsing Tesla per se. Their commerce department had stronger language about these dealership models actually being harmful to the consumer instead of protecting them than the President who should be giving the people a voice at the executive level. The President, and his advisors, must see the overwhelming public outcry for direct sales. He is not running again. Seems like not only the correct thing to do but the overwhelming popular one as well.

I did criticize the lack of political courage by the White House through their follow-up questionnaire. However as I suggested a year ago, the petition was too Tesla specific to expect a direct positive response from the White House. Earlier this year I did write the FTC and asked them to respond instead. They did, and I believe quite well. I suspect the president had an invisible hand in that. In any event, after a year the White house must have felt obligated to clear the petition out of the unanswered file, and did so in a less than inspired fashion.

When Mr. Obama represented my state in the US Senate, I sent him a number of emails. Most of the time it was obvious that he answered me personally rather than through a boilerplate. He did not avoid controversy and was willing to overturn roadblocks. In this case, he does not seem to be the same person.

Last edited:
I've signed a number of petitions and letters to representatives over the years, and all the answers read like that one: Mumble, mumble, mumble. Mumble, mumble, mumble. Thank you for expressing your concern, I'll bear it in mind. Except for one, where the Representative was positive we should go to war in Iraq because he had served in the military.

Whte House Response to We The People Petition on Tesla.

I don't yet see a thread on this. Just got an email from the White House regarding their position on the online petition to change laws to allow Tesla to sell directly in each state.

Oops...looks like I'm late, too. Deleted.

Last edited:
What a disappointment. Why create the we the people website? Poor initial thinking and follow-through. I appreciate that they cannot work outside of their powers, but what did they expect? That everyone filing a petition would be constitutional scholars and understand the divisions of government that have become obfuscated by years of poor and arcane politics? Unfortunately, through this channel, business as usual. We are all best choosing other routes for action.

I think the REAL response was what we saw from the FTC. I am sure the White House was in the loop on that one. And the overall visibility of the issue has gotten to the point where public opinion is aroused and moving away from NADA. The recent legislation efforts in NY, OH, NJ, and PA are indicative of the tide turn.

I just hope that Tesla does not cave and put the gigafactory in Texas. Rick Perry does not need that trophy for doing nothing on this issue! (sorry TMC Texans)

When Mr. Obama represented my state in the US Senate, I sent him a number of emails. Most of the time it was obvious that he answered me personally rather through a boiler plate. He did not avoid controversy and was willing to overturn roadblocks. In this case, he does not seem to be the same person.

In this case, your President can not be the same person. Too many much larger, impossible battles to battle on national and world scene.

Presidential influence and power is a scarce resource that needs careful allocation.

Tesla battle may have to do do with people or driver power. You seem to be leading the way, Curt, kudos to you.

In this case, your President can not be the same person. Too many much larger, impossible battles to battle on national and world scene.

Presidential influence and power is a scarce resource that needs careful allocation.

Tesla battle may have to do do with people or driver power. You seem to be leading the way, Curt, kudos to you.

Auzie, I always enjoy and usually agree with your posts. I can't this time. A strong response to the petition (he could carefully word it to not show favoritism to TM) goes along with his policies on protecting the environment through the 'bully pulpit' he has as president. I will try to stay out of politics here (but probably can't) but I have to say his party, and the next 'would be' Presidents from his party (Clinton and Biden), all support EVS and are probably considered more environmentally friendly than the opposition. This would be an excellent opportunity to support a position (free enterprise/direct sales) that is wildly popular with the populace (except big oil and dealerships) and puts the opposition in a difficult position of being 'anti business/tech'. In my opinion, it is a missed opportunity and I am very surprised/disappointed in the response.

He may have more important problems to deal with but after 1+ years he certainly should have had a better response.

Guys, this response is what was expected. There is no way commerce clause can be used here because Tesla can still sell online in every state. The issue comes down to getting local dealership licenses.

But that was not the point, the real win here is that when promoting this petition, it got a lot of national media attention and got people aware. This awareness helped get public support in many of the fights with the dealerships laws Tesla faced so far. We need to realize that sometimes you try to make the strongest super glue and end up with post-it notes.

That is the real win here.

There are times when it is appropriate to be politically expedient (savvy), and there are times when it is important to put some skin in the game. Is the President worried he will be criticized by the opposition party. That is a foregone conclusion, he is a lame-duck. If not now, when?

President Obama, I am disappointed in you sir.

His complete failure to use the "bully pulpit" to advocate a solar electric economy has just cost the Democratic party my vote.

While I am completely aware of "states rights" and the legislative process, I expect great leadership from an American President. This is not great leadership.

I have to agree with you.

We the US have a once in a century opportunity to take the bull by the horns here, but it will never happen and the US is going to slowly fade towards a lot less relevancy.

The first country that embraces the solar/EV economy at full force will be the greatest power in the world by the end of this century and for many decades afterwards.

The US has been the best country in the world for a couple centuries because they were first to embrace the industrial revolution. Now everyone has that. It is time to move on to the solar era, but not one country in the world is serious about it. My dark horse would be India if they didn't have a gazillion people living there.

It's a very sad world we live in.

Here is the email I sent this evening to my senators and representative in Congress:

After a year the White House response to the Tesla Motors related petition regarding direct sales of automobiles was politically timid: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/response/response-we-people-petition-tesla-motors

The FTC did a far better job. The White House skirted the issue with no mention of the requirement to enforce the Constitution’s interstate commerce clause or the need to police anticompetitive practices and state laws. Although, they did say, “However, we understand that pre-empting current state laws on direct-to-consumer auto sales would require an act of Congress.”

The White House response to the petition seems to imply that they do not respect the dormant interpretation of the interstate commerce clause, i.e. one that automatically forbids states from interfering with interstate commerce. Instead they are passing the buck to you in Congress. Please initiate and pass a law that manufacturers should not be required to sell and service through franchised dealerships unless they have already contracted to do so.

This is supposedly the land of the free, as I was told when I was drafted and sent to Vietnam. I realize that Tesla Motors is based in California, but it makes a product that can free Americans from the pollution of gasoline and the Middle Eastern oil interests. It sells and services through a 21[SUP]st[/SUP] century business model that should not be thwarted by entrenched interests. Many of its shareholders, car owners and employees reside here in Illinois. Do the right thing for them and all Americans other than parasite dealerships.

Last edited:
Here is the email I sent this evening to my senators and representative in Congress:

After a year the White House response to the Tesla Motors related petition regarding direct sales of automobiles was politically timid: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/response/response-we-people-petition-tesla-motors

The FTC did a far better job. The White House skirted the issue with no mention of the requirement to enforce the Constitution’s interstate commerce clause or the need to police anticompetitive practices and state laws. Although, they did say, “However, we understand that pre-empting current state laws on direct-to-consumer auto sales would require an act of Congress.”

The White House response to the petition seems to imply that they do not respect the dormant interpretation of the interstate commerce clause, i.e. one that automatically forbids states from interfering with interstate commerce. Instead they are passing the buck to you in Congress. Please initiate and pass a law that manufacturers should not be required to sell and service through franchised dealerships unless they have already contracted to do so.

This is supposedly the land of the free, as I was told when I was drafted and sent to Vietnam. I realize that Tesla Motors is based in California, but it makes a product that can free Americans from the pollution of gasoline and the Middle Eastern oil interests. It sells and services through a 21[SUP]st[/SUP] century business model that should not be thwarted by entrenched interests. Many of its shareholders, car owners and employees reside here in Illinois. Do the right thing for them and all Americans other than parasite dealerships.

Last edited:
Guys, this response is what was expected. There is no way commerce clause can be used here because Tesla can still sell online in every state. The issue comes down to getting local dealership licenses.

But that was not the point, the real win here is that when promoting this petition, it got a lot of national media attention and got people aware. This awareness helped get public support in many of the fights with the dealerships laws Tesla faced so far. We need to realize that sometimes you try to make the strongest super glue and end up with post-it notes.

That is the real win here.

But you can't legally buy the car in every state, can you? In Texas your buy the car from California technically and transfer the title and car to Texas and go to DMV to transfer title yourself.

NADA and the state dealer associations are shooting themselves in the foot, whether they realize it or not. The more they antagonize Tesla and Elon, the more likely he's going to file a federal case, and they're all going to be overturned. I think it's just a matter of time. I think the franchise dealers realize their days are numbered, and the "fight or flight" instinct is kicking in. They're fighting like hell.

Ms Clinton,

If you are to earn my vote, and earn it you must, I expect you to lead on climate change. Recently the Obama administration responded to a "white house petition" to allow Tesla Motors to sell directly to the public. The administration's answer was a milk toast reply deferring to states rights.

It is not my intent to imply that the executive branch has the ability to enact legislation. I do however expect an American President to lead. The "bully pulpit" is an extraordinary platform to define the greatest challenges and opportunities of our time. President Obama demurred to legal technicalities an incredible debt that we owe to the environment of our children.

In a direct and clear voice, if you are to earn my vote, you must clearly define the objectives of your candidacy, and act courageously to achieve those goals.