Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S "Sedan" is a hatchback
having wasted many hours in a dedicated thread on this topic specifically :)
I think the difference between Liftback, hatchback and wagon (or estate) seems to be nothing more than the angle of the rear door/gate.
Shallow - like the Model S or how about Rover SD1 for a blast from the past would be a lift back
45degree (+/- 10) is a hatchback
80-90 degrees becomes a wagon or estate/shooting brake
The biggest difference is that most manufacturers refer to the lift back as a sedan.

I think that sums up weeks of postings :)

I sketched this quickly on my iPad using the exact dimensions of a BMW 3 Gran Turismo

model-3-sketch.png

I think that this first photo gets too much attention in all the wrong places... So I marked my area of interest (yea, it's probably just a Model X also, haha).
Screen-Shot-2015-07-26-at-10.52.04-AM.jpg

Other than the wheels, I don't see anything here that specifically states this is a Tesla clay model. Do you guys?
Tesla-Model-3-Clay-Proto-1024x640.png

Someone did a decent job of painting a car over the above clay model.
wZme9ec.jpg

Last edited:
The problem with clay models is that after maybe a month they are no longer current. You design the car in cad and then need a real life size example to make sure the proportions are human tested and correct. These images are a couple years old and get made to study body lines like the detail across the doors. Even once you get to the prototyping stage with mules, clay models are still used for design changes. Like the model X nose cone, judging by the fact in the 7.1 owners manual it still shows a Model S style nose cone, it's safe to say there is a resent model X clay model that doesn't match today's production model.