Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weather proofing mobile charger? Bad idea?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this necessary? Will I run into heat issues? Just want some insurance for the rare times it goes crazy with rain in AZ.
6084BCF3-9BFA-4AD0-A092-0A3C140FB7D5.jpeg

In your location I would be more concerned about the heat, when charging than an occasional rain storm. The plastic wrapping will trap heat and prevent proper air circulation. The excess heat build up can shorten the life of the circuitry in the Mobile Connector Chassis.

The Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector manual states:

Warning: Do not use the Mobile Connector when either you, the vehicle or the Mobile
Connector is exposed to severe rain, snow, electrical storm or other inclement weather.

Warning: Protect the Mobile Connector from moisture, water and foreign objects at all times.
If any exist or appear to have corroded or damaged the Mobile Connector, do not use the
Mobile Connector.

Warning: If rain falls during charging, do not allow rain water to run along the length of
charge cable, causing the electrical outlet or charging port to become wet.

Caution: Do not operate the Mobile Connector in temperatures outside its operating range of
-22°F to +122°F (-30°C to +50°C).

Caution: Store the Mobile Connector in a clean dry place in temperatures between -40°F and
+185°F (-40°C and +85°C)

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf

In your location I would be more concerned about the heat, when charging than an occasional rain storm. The plastic wrapping will trap heat and prevent proper air circulation. The excess heat build up can shorten the life of the circuitry in the Mobile Connector Chassis.

The Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector manual states:

Warning: Do not use the Mobile Connector when either you, the vehicle or the Mobile
Connector is exposed to severe rain, snow, electrical storm or other inclement weather.

Warning: Protect the Mobile Connector from moisture, water and foreign objects at all times.
If any exist or appear to have corroded or damaged the Mobile Connector, do not use the
Mobile Connector.

Warning: If rain falls during charging, do not allow rain water to run along the length of
charge cable, causing the electrical outlet or charging port to become wet.

Caution: Do not operate the Mobile Connector in temperatures outside its operating range of
-22°F to +122°F (-30°C to +50°C).

Caution: Store the Mobile Connector in a clean dry place in temperatures between -40°F and
+185°F (-40°C and +85°C)

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf

I read the manual several times and this statement was my reasoning behind the bag. Lol. ITV also says ventilation is not needed. So a bad trapping heat doesn’t seem likely.

I’m doing she’s about the heat and consider a box.

I read the manual several times and this statement was my reasoning behind the bag. Lol. ITV also says ventilation is not needed. So a bad trapping heat doesn’t seem likely.

It says "SEVERE" weather, as in hurricane. Not the <10 inches of rain you get in AZ. As long as water is not getting in your NEMA 14-50 outlet, it's fine. There's about 50,000x threads about people using this outdoors with no problem. You're not going to get extreme rain in Arizona where the mobile connector is getting submerged underwater. The main concern is water getting into the plugs. This is not going to happen if you're using an enclosed 14-50 outlet which from your picture you are. The wand end that goes into the car is obviously waterproof.

You could use the Mobile Connector, not take any special precautions re rain and if the Mobile Connector stops working buy another one. You could install the Gen3 Wall Connector as it it fully weather rated. To install the Wall Connector per the Tesla installation instructions the Wall Connector needs to be hard wired, not fitted with a power plug. The Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector would be a cleaner looking installation than what you have now. The charging cord is 24 feet in length instead of ~18 feet on the Mobile Connector. You will be able to charge at 40A (hard wired on the existing 50A circuit) instead of being limited to 32A when using the Gen2 Mobile Connector.

Last edited:
Is this necessary? Will I run into heat issues? Just want some insurance for the rare times it goes crazy with rain in AZ.
View attachment 789016
I do something similar. I use a very small black plastic bag that is used for dog droppings 💩💩💩 but I leave the bottom open to the air. I've never had a problem yet, but I only use it on 120 volts while I travel.

Reactions: ATPMSD
It says "SEVERE" weather, as in hurricane. Not the <10 inches of rain you get in AZ. As long as water is not getting in your NEMA 14-50 outlet, it's fine. There's about 50,000x threads about people using this outdoors with no problem. You're not going to get extreme rain in Arizona where the mobile connector is getting submerged underwater. The main concern is water getting into the plugs. This is not going to happen if you're using an enclosed 14-50 outlet which from your picture you are. The wand end that goes into the car is obviously waterproof.

It’s funny cuz in both those threads they’re Are a few people suggesting wrapping in plastic and at least one person saying thier charger was damaged in rain overnight while charging lol.

Hmm, seems like this suggestion is hard to find, may need to build one likley out of wood. The big issue I see is it is wraped in plastic which does not allow any airflow.
Yea I’m just paranoid because it’s my sole option to charge U til I move. The manual states it doesn’t need to vent. It I’m guessing you mean air flow as in wind to help cool it.

Reactions: ATPMSD