Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Web Browser Doesn't Work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting Does the car or the VPN server prioritizes traffic? Tesla should come forward, and offer a way to pay up for better bandwidth or allow a secondary, driver provided hotspot for in car browser experience.

44.x

I found that, at least when parked (haven't tried it while moving), that if I turn off or pause Slacker, the browser loaded faster. Give it a minute to load. I think Slacker uses a lot of LTE broadband.

I have had great luck by launching the browser on WiFi before I leave, then open Waze (since that's mostly what I use it for) - after I drive away and the wifi drops off and switches to LTE, works for the rest of the trip.
Not sure if that switcheroo workaround would work for hotspot.. might have to try it sometime.

I have also rebooted when no WiFi is available, and it generally does the trick.

Lets face it -- the browser has never really worked ever. I hate to say this, as I loved the idea of having a browser for such a big screen, but maybe they should just ditch the browser.

You'll never get me to admit that. I loved using the browser and did so practically every drive. The NYT headlines greeted me in the morning, or CNN (lite) or Waze, my security cameras show in choppy video -- yes video, on the browser! although some here said it wasn't technically video in a thread here years ago about watching our security cameras on the browser -- and I really, really miss the browser!

For the past nearly 5 years, I could always use the browser in my S regardless of how slow it was, until the data announcement. Yes, it took time to log into my email or security cameras, and I was hoping the 3 would be better, but it was the same in our 3 when we first got it, despite it having faster processing power, it was slow but still could be used, especially since I'm not in a rush for a webpage to load while driving. But now, more often than not, it's waiting with nothing happening at all, and a reboot is not the answer because then there's no LTE, so no traffic or music, until it reconnects after a reboot which takes some time.

I have my theory as to why this happened and it's not a technical glitch: This happened right after Tesla decided the data issue and who will pay and how much. Is that a coincidence? I say not at all. Tesla said: Here you go... it's free but throttled to zero after about two or three pages load -- then your done until the next drive. I think once more people are paying for data they will remove the throttling.

It sucks big time for me! Just trying to log into my security cameras is a game of press a letter, then wait a minute at least until you see it appear. I miss the old browser every day, and I miss it a lot. An update to fix it can't come soon enough for me, but I'm not holding my breath since this looks clearly planned to save Tesla on data costs, at least to me.

Last edited:
I have my theory as to why this happened and it's not a technical glitch: This happened right after Tesla decided the data issue and who will pay and how much. Is that a coincidence? I say not at all. Tesla said: Here you go... it's free but throttled to zero after about two or three pages load -- then your done until the next drive. I think once more people are paying for data they will remove the throttling.

I'd love to agree with you but even tethered to an LTE hotspot or WiFi, the browser since V9 loads practically nothing. so its not just Tesla covering the cost of our data usage and throttling same into oblivion.

something else is going on here.

I also agree that it is a shame that with such a big screen, the browser is unusable.

Since car updated to version .50 last week the browser has worked every time I drive. WiFi and LTE. Hopefully it stays that way.

In earlier versions it would work until the car was parked, then I had to reset computer to make the browser work again.

So I had a pretty crappy experience with the browser, and would say it worked maybe 50% or less. Repeatedly reported bug with the browser by using the voice control button. Figured it was meaningless but made me feel better. One day (no update that triggered the change) the browser just started working. Sure it’s slow sometimes, but now it will load whatever I’ve tried to load, and it never does the unresponsive behaviour that caused me to do the 2finger reboot every other time I needed to use it. YMMV, but keep bug reporting it till Tesla’s magic elves fix it for you!

So I had a pretty crappy experience with the browser, and would say it worked maybe 50% or less. Repeatedly reported bug with the browser by using the voice control button. Figured it was meaningless but made me feel better. One day (no update that triggered the change) the browser just started working. Sure it’s slow sometimes, but now it will load whatever I’ve tried to load, and it never does the unresponsive behaviour that caused me to do the 2finger reboot every other time I needed to use it. YMMV, but keep bug reporting it till Tesla’s magic elves fix it for you!

Very curious to know what version of the Tesla Software you are on? I am on v9 2018.50 and I get the browser to work 99% of the time. It's great that it works for me, but I would really like to understand why a number of people are reporting problems. Ever since I updated to v9 2018.50 the browser became very responsive on a regular basis.

Just checked, and I'm on 2018.50.6... there's another set of numbers and letters afterwards, but not sure if it's relevant. I'll reiterate that I did try the browser after each software update, and it kept acting the way it was before: about 50/50 chance that it was unresponsive and required a 2finger reboot to work. Then one day, unrelated to a software update, it worked. Not sure what was done, but I do think that it was related to repeated bug reporting on my behalf. When I first got my car, the LTE would very frequently cut out and require a 2finger restart to fix. Emailed back and forth with Tesla, and one day it was just quietly fixed... again no software update involved. So there's got to be something on their end that they can tinker with to fix these bugs...

Just checked, and I'm on 2018.50.6... there's another set of numbers and letters afterwards, but not sure if it's relevant. I'll reiterate that I did try the browser after each software update, and it kept acting the way it was before: about 50/50 chance that it was unresponsive and required a 2finger reboot to work. Then one day, unrelated to a software update, it worked. Not sure what was done, but I do think that it was related to repeated bug reporting on my behalf. When I first got my car, the LTE would very frequently cut out and require a 2finger restart to fix. Emailed back and forth with Tesla, and one day it was just quietly fixed... again no software update involved. So there's got to be something on their end that they can tinker with to fix these bugs...
The browser works pretty good for me on 50.6. The times I have issues is when I try clicking on a link. Sometimes it'll load, sometimes it won't.