Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Web Browser Useless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why even give us a browser if it doesn’t load/work 80% of the time? In my last 1/2 dozen drives until this morning it’s been a white screen and then randomly this morning it loaded a webpage. It’s more annoying to have it and it not work versus not having it at all. More distracting too since I keep fiddling with it.

Elevation is the height above sea level.

He is referring to Tesla Winds and Elevation

Screen looks like this (this is from my iPad so doesn't fit quite right, haven't tried it on the 3 yet):

View attachment 344309
I tried to set it up but even though I had the API key for the first part, it would not accept the user name for the second part even though it was correct. I saw no API key on the geo site.

There is obviously a bug that crashes the browser process and gives the white screen. It will let you type in URLs, but will not render anything. The only fix is to kill the browser process and the only way to do that is to reboot the MCU. Very extreme IMO. So I would love Tesla to fix this quickly, or at least add a restart button that would kill the problematic process and restart the browser. That would be an acceptable work around while they troubleshoot the root issue.
This problem is happening often for me... Making the browser as the title of this thread...

Testing in my garage with home wifi and using phone as hot spot I observed the following: Home WiFI performance was excellent with 50+MBs down loads and sites working properly and loading quickly. As soon as I disconnected to connect to my phone hotspot the browser hung requiring a system (Car) reboot to get the browser to work again. Connected it to phone hotspot and it was slower with only 3.5-4 Mbs down load performance. Sites load a bit slower and once again losing connection throws it into a hang on the browser.

There is obviously a bug that crashes the browser process and gives the white screen. It will let you type in URLs, but will not render anything. The only fix is to kill the browser process and the only way to do that is to reboot the MCU. Very extreme IMO. So I would love Tesla to fix this quickly, or at least add a restart button that would kill the problematic process and restart the browser. That would be an acceptable work around while they troubleshoot the root issue.
This problem is happening often for me... Making the browser as the title of this thread...
Agree having same issue! Well said!

Loving the new features that a web browser brings to the car, just in time for my trip to Washington.

IMG_4874.JPG

-Randy

This is something I am wondering. What do we need a browser in the car for? Why not just search the google maps for locations etc. the browser in the car seems to be a bit of a distraction that might bog down the performance of the computer.
I like using it when I'm waiting in the car, either to pick someone up or to wait for supercharging. But I am having a lot of issues with it at the moment. It seems to get stuck on a black screen and refuses to load any webpages. This occurs mostly on LTE but also occurs occasionally on wifi.

What do we need a browser in the car for? [...] The browser in the car seems to be a bit of a distraction

Remember the Model 3, whose forum we are in, was designed to be full-self-driving. So if I am going to be sitting there for hours with a steering wheel in the way of my opening a laptop I am happy for the browser. There are already many Tesla aware web apps that extend the capabilities of the car (see my post above). Not saying it would have killed me if they had never released a browser for the Model 3 as one was never promised, but, yeah, it would have killed me.

It’s a piece of crap.

Compared to which other car? This is the very first browser for the Model 3, so I forgive the 10 reboots in two days and expect it to only get better.

-Randy