Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Web Browser Useless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,
I've used the browser in an S plenty and it was, as we all know, slow and outdated. That being said, I figured the new web in the 3 would be upgraded or at least the same as the S. It is much worse. I tried on multiple pages and typing a character on the keyboard took 5-10 seconds to input into the browser. Besides the delay, it was as outdated it seemed as the S. In it's current form it is useless.

I assume this is typical of v9 fleet wide? Wanted to hear what others are seeing.

Thanks!
Does Tesla Waze work on it? For that matter, does Tesla Waze still exist?

Edit: Aha! It still exists! Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information Anybody try it on the new web browser in Model X, Model S, and Model 3? I used to have that as either the full screen in Model S, or that + dashcam. Now, dashcam + web is not an option any more, which I think is awful, but can you at least use Tesla Waze full screen, and does it work at all?

Edit 2: Wow, even better:

Excellent! I didn't know about QTES.LA being superior to Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information (because it offers more functions) ... that's new and great and great that it works. Yours is Model 3; someone tell us if it goes full screen on Model S & X. It looks like it uses a similar backend to the other one above.

Does the Waze website give you turn by turn directions? My browser was struggling and I couldn’t input any data if that’s possible
From my dim memory of the older version I used over a year ago, no; I used it for an excellent crowd-sourced traffic information in a nice low-light format that is perfect for night driving or day driving (I believe there was a day option back when I used it). If in the off chance I needed guidance, I used my mounted iphone and/or the builtin Tesla nav system; I had 2 offline GPS-based nav options on my phone plus multiple online nav apps (offline apps are great for many areas I travel to which have no cell coverage; my daily commute has a few of those, and practically every vacation I go on has those too; some of the online nav apps will temporarily work in offline mode, and some even have preparation steps that can be taken to work better in offline mode, too).

Last edited:
Not sure why anyone would expect this to be a primary browser.
Setting reasons expectations here.
This is a browser to quickly check stuff from the car, not replacing your desktop.
Expecting it to do anything more is setting yourself up for disappointment.
Exactly what I was going to say. That said, it is much more readable than a cell phone screen. If you can put up with slow speed and difficult keying it's way better than nothing. Spoiled kids don't remember dial-up on an 11" tube... young whipper-snappers... :D

If your browser isnt loading anything - its crashed and the quickest way to get it working is to soft reset your car (pressing down both wheels on the steering wheel).

Mine crashes often for no reason at all
In my case, it *will* load some things. Just not everything. And once loaded it then won't respond to link taps, or scrolling. And I've reset of course. It then sort of catches up to what should have loaded the first time.... then does the same thing of no scroll, and no link-following. Considering that my CPU reboots about 50% of the time now when I get into the car, I already know that I've got issues. First service appointment for my car is tomorrow.... the list is somewhat lengthy.

My car is at my local service center for the first time. One of my complaints was the browser, and I was happy to demonstrate that NOTHING would load. Including google.com. Just a blank white page with nothing happening. Doesn't matter if I'm on full-bar cellular, or on full-bar, high-speed Wifi. My browser is entirely useless.

My browser will not work every time I get back in the car. I have to reboot MCU then it works fine for the rest of the drive. I think it's almost every single time. Also if it's running slow reboot. They definitely need to fix this problem along with the DashCam not working after driving a few minutes. Having said that I love having the browser as I use Tesla Winds & Elevation all the time. I also just like having a nice picture of a Tesla on the screen to look at instead of the maps all the time!

My car is at my local service center for the first time. One of my complaints was the browser, and I was happy to demonstrate that NOTHING would load. Including google.com. Just a blank white page with nothing happening. Doesn't matter if I'm on full-bar cellular, or on full-bar, high-speed Wifi. My browser is entirely useless.

Hey, at least I get a blank black screen!!

It seemed to work well in my garage on WiFi but once on AT&T LTE it is another story. Lots of crashes and lock ups where it is non-responsive without a reboot. This is really poorly written software to have this many bugs and work so poorly after this many years. Given how fast it performs in my Garage, it may have something to do with the way Tesla supplies its LTE services. I think I will try it tomorrow using my VZW phone as a WiFi hotspot and see if it does better. I'll report back the results.

I'm curious to hear what you mean by using "Elevation"?

Elevation is the height above sea level.

He is referring to Tesla Winds and Elevation

Screen looks like this (this is from my iPad so doesn't fit quite right, haven't tried it on the 3 yet):

E3E956DA-B745-4205-AF51-188FCF8D65B3.jpeg

You can transfer any webaddress through the info section in an appointment in your phone calendar.

Yeah, I read that. Sadly I cannot duplicate that on the Tesla Model 3. If you can post an example that works I would like to test it.

I posted a thread questing how others are Transferring Bookmarks yesterday. It details my issues setting up the web browser. The take away is Reboot Reboot Reboot!

-Randy