Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird alignment issue after upper control arms replaced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 M3 LR RWD. Recently went to Tesla to help nail down a rattle from near the steering column. They replaced the upper control arms which did not fix the rattle, and eventually after 3 weeks of having the car they gave up.

Anyways I drive off and the car is pulling significantly to the left at anything above 25mph. Sounds like they didn't do an alignment after the upper control arm replacement so I scheduled one for next week.

BUT THEN, over the past week and 50 miles the issue has completely disappeared. Car is tracking completely straight now. Any ideas what would cause this? I can still go in for an alignment but I'd like to save $250 if possible.

2018 M3 LR RWD. Recently went to Tesla to help nail down a rattle from near the steering column. They replaced the upper control arms which did not fix the rattle, and eventually after 3 weeks of having the car they gave up.

Anyways I drive off and the car is pulling significantly to the left at anything above 25mph. Sounds like they didn't do an alignment after the upper control arm replacement so I scheduled one for next week.

BUT THEN, over the past week and 50 miles the issue has completely disappeared. Car is tracking completely straight now. Any ideas what would cause this? I can still go in for an alignment but I'd like to save $250 if possible.
I was told they don't align it after the FUCA replacement.. but the service manual seems to require it, so..

I am going to try to have them comp it since they replaced the arms even thought it wasn't necessary.

Good luck with that!

If that doesn't work, do yourself a favor, and take the car for an alignment at a place that knows how to do that properly (e.g.: not a dealership or Tesla SC).
As to why the initial pull that later disappeared, the most undesirable explanation is that they did not tighten some of the suspension bolts properly.
Again - I would take the car to a competent independent shop to re-torque all suspension components (or DIY the job, if you are handy).

I was told they don't align it after the FUCA replacement.. but the service manual seems to require it, so..

FWIW, my local Tesla SC did NOT do an alignment after replacing my upper control arms about two years ago.
I tracked straight, and showed no irregular tire wear, so I left it alone.

HTH,
a