TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Weird happening at a drive thru....

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by JOE D, Feb 5, 2014.

1. JOE D

JOE D Member

On the run had to get a quick bite went thru the drive thru and the car sort of bucked and shifted to "P" needless to say this concerned me very much. I called tesla to discuss and realized that while sitting in the seat with my foot on the brake I angled myself up to get money out of my pocket. Since The car senses a driver in the seat and I possibly fooled the car by lifting up this caused the condition. The problem is that I cannot duplicate it, until the other day when I went thru another drive thru and it happened again. The condition is alarming, wondered if anyone else has experienced this and also I wanted to alert you about this.
    (yes I can hear it now stay out of drive thru's and/or have my money ready)

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Put on your seatbelt. This behavior is completely by-design (and has been discussed many times on TMC) if you don't have your seatbelt in place and connected. Given your description, I suspect you unbuckled the seatbelt as part of your pocket digging.

Additional note:
    My recollection is that this originally only happened in reverse but, apparently, somewhere along the way the firmware now does this for <= 5mph in D as well as in R.

3. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

What brianman said, essentially the car is guessing you are getting out, and you have forgotten to put the parking brake on. So it's putting the parking brake on for you. It's basically a dead-man's switch

4. brandonmbeard

brandonmbeard Member

AFIK it's not the seat belt its the weight sensor in the seat. I have had this happen while driving through a car wash. Car is in neutral, shift my weight a bit (seatbelt still on) and boom parking brake goes on.

5. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

The auto-off when not in the driver's seat annoys the hell out of me when I'm cleaning the windshield. I turn the headlights on to help with glare, lean forward, the car, lights, and radio turn off. I found a loophole where I turn the walk-away headlights on then leave a rear door slightly ajar as I clean windows, but it's annoying. I'll have to try buckling the seatbelt and see if that helps.

Stop trying to read my mind, car, and do what I tell you! :smile:

6. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Neutral, and manually engage the parking brake on the touchscreen. Problem solved.

7. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Does that work? Tricky. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

My understanding is that it's both. More specifically, if your seatbelt is properly in place the "weight removed triggers neutral/park" behavior is disabled.