Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird Key Behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have had our X for nearly a week now. It is running 2.36.31

Almost every day, either me or my wife takes our son to school and drops him off at the same location. We did this three times this week and each time, he climbs out of the front passenger seat, closes the door behind him and we immediately get the 'Key no longer in Car' warning, which then stays on until we get home. We have seen this with both keys.

We never ever saw this with our previous Model S. The key is always in my front pocket, with nothing else in the pocket - same as always.

Could it be a faulty sensor that is upset by his door slamming? (he is not gentle) It doesn't seem likely that both brand new keys would be at fault. We haven't seen this at any other time, even when people get out.

Any ideas? Is it worthy of reporting to Tesla service?

We have had our X for nearly a week now. It is running 2.36.31

Almost every day, either me or my wife takes our son to school and drops him off at the same location. We did this three times this week and each time, he climbs out of the front passenger seat, closes the door behind him and we immediately get the 'Key no longer in Car' warning, which then stays on until we get home. We have seen this with both keys.

We never ever saw this with our previous Model S. The key is always in my front pocket, with nothing else in the pocket - same as always.

Could it be a faulty sensor that is upset by his door slamming? (he is not gentle) It doesn't seem likely that both brand new keys would be at fault. We haven't seen this at any other time, even when people get out.

Any ideas? Is it worthy of reporting to Tesla service?
This is a known issue. You need to bring both fobs in to the service center to be flashed with an update.