Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How well does phone key work compared to the old key fob?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Must be a terminology thing? I use my phone as the key on my 2018 X via the Tesla app (not 100% reliable), but apparently you are saying that is not a phone key?
That’s just remote app access/control and requires both your phone and the car to have data access.

Phone key uses Bluetooth and does not require you to manually open the app to send commands. You can just leave it in your pocket/bag like you would a smart key fob to unlock and start the car. And it will work even with no internet connection.

Must be a terminology thing? I use my phone as the key on my 2018 X via the Tesla app (not 100% reliable), but apparently you are saying that is not a phone key?
Legacy models do not have Bluetooth as a key functionality. You are connecting over the Internet and must be logged in to tesla.com through the Tesla app. Refresh models use Bluetooth pairing directly with the vehicle. It works exactly like carrying the fob. As your phone gets close to the car, it unlocks without touching anything. It also operates locks on walk-away, just like the fob.

All Model 3 and Y had the feature when they were introduced. Model X and S did not get it until the refresh arrived in 2022.

Reactions: RNHurt and posity
That’s just remote app access/control and requires both your phone and the car to have data access.

Phone key uses Bluetooth and does not require you to manually open the app to send commands. You can just leave it in your pocket/bag like you would a smart key fob to unlock and start the car. And it will work even with no internet connection.
Except as noted, it is not as reliable for some of us vs. the fob.

Also just as a practical issue. The phone as a key is much less practical in situations where you are giving your car to someone else to drive. Most people would not want to give their phone to a complete stranger. This means that you always have to carry the card or fob with you in addition to the phone when you take your car to change a tire, valet, service. I didn’t want to have to carry around another thing. Recently when I had a flat tire I experienced this and since I didn’t plan ahead for the flat I didn’t have the card or fob with me. Very awkward having to give my phone to a stranger to get my car on the flat bed and then another one at the tire shop.

You should always have the card in your wallet. Both for situations like you described and in case your phone key is unavailable or non-functional (eg dead/broken/lost phone).

But yes a fob also alleviates such problems.

Thank you for the sage advice! Sarcasm aside, carrying two things does not improve quality of life imo. I tend to try and carry a minimalist wallet. I definitely feel like this is one step forward and two steps back. Just my opinion.

Thank you for the sage advice! Sarcasm aside, carrying two things does not improve quality of life imo. I tend to try and carry a minimalist wallet. I definitely feel like this is one step forward and two steps back. Just my opinion.
You’re the one that brought up the valet issue. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Didn’t realize carrying one extra card would be such a burden on your quality of life.

You’re the one that brought up the valet issue. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Didn’t realize carrying one extra card would be such a burden on your quality of life.

Indeed I did. However I also said, “This means that you always have to carry the card or fob with you in addition to the phone when you take your car to change a tire, valet, service.” But you just wanted to be “that guy” on the internet. It’s not a huge burden but another little thing where the change didn’t really bring about any improvement to consumers. Probably saves Tesla some money on each car sold though.