Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird noise sometimes....normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed this the last couple days....
Sometimes when I open a door (from the outside of car) I hear a weird noise that sounds like it's coming from under the car. I would put it somewhere between a 'click-click' and a 'clunk-clunk'. Sounds like something is engaging or disengaging? Main pack? I also heard it today when I plugged in my UMC. It doesn't do it every time though. I've never heard while driving, but I also usually have music up pretty loud as I drive mostly alone.
Any ideas?

It is most likely the contactor for the main battery engaging and disengaging. This sounds just like you describe. There are numerous events that cause the engaging or disengaging of the battery, but during normal operation (driving) it should remain engaged, so no clicks there :)

The car makes all sorts of crazy sounds when shutting down, powering up and sometimes when just sitting there. Clicks, buzzes, groans, air release from the air suspension. It's all normal and I find it pretty funny actually. I'm just waiting for her to "pass gas" and say "ahhhhh, excuse me"!

The car makes all sorts of crazy sounds when shutting down, powering up and sometimes when just sitting there. Clicks, buzzes, groans, air release from the air suspension. It's all normal and I find it pretty funny actually. I'm just waiting for her to "pass gas" and say "ahhhhh, excuse me"!

I feel like there's a living thing in my garage. It's sort of like living with a tame dragon.

I feel like there's a living thing in my garage. It's sort of like living with a tame dragon.

Yeah, the first couple days I thought there was definitely something wrong with my MS as i wasn't prepared for all the clickety-clacking, whooshing and buzzing noises.

It makes more noise than a pinball machine at times. Come to think of it, I imagine the MS does have quite a few solenoids lurking in there somewhere...

I know what you mean by the living thing in the garage. Sometimes I walk out, with car simply sitting there, and it starts making all these groans, buzzes and clicks. Cracks me up, actually. But the sound you are describing sounds like the contactors engaging/disengaging the battery pack. I don't know all about it, but from what I have read, if you hear a "clunk", rather than a click, I would call Tesla. There are many posts about the "dreaded clunk", where the car simply dies right then and there on the road.

Might be nothing. But worth a quick call.