TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Weird noise sometimes....normal?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by hingisfan, Mar 13, 2015.

1. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

I noticed this the last couple days....
    Sometimes when I open a door (from the outside of car) I hear a weird noise that sounds like it's coming from under the car. I would put it somewhere between a 'click-click' and a 'clunk-clunk'. Sounds like something is engaging or disengaging? Main pack? I also heard it today when I plugged in my UMC. It doesn't do it every time though. I've never heard while driving, but I also usually have music up pretty loud as I drive mostly alone.
    Any ideas?

2. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

All sorts of noises are audible outside the car when you lock/unlock/open/close/plug/unplug the car. It's probably normal.

3. cairnz

cairnz Member

It is most likely the contactor for the main battery engaging and disengaging. This sounds just like you describe. There are numerous events that cause the engaging or disengaging of the battery, but during normal operation (driving) it should remain engaged, so no clicks there :)

4. krisg81

krisg81 Member

Charging port door lock engaging. Don't worry about it.

5. cairnz

cairnz Member

That is a similar but different sound (and also only clicks once)

6. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Those are the two battery pack contactors closing.

7. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

Thanks guys!

8. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

The car makes all sorts of crazy sounds when shutting down, powering up and sometimes when just sitting there. Clicks, buzzes, groans, air release from the air suspension. It's all normal and I find it pretty funny actually. I'm just waiting for her to "pass gas" and say "ahhhhh, excuse me"!

9. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

I feel like there's a living thing in my garage. It's sort of like living with a tame dragon.

10. gordo

gordo Member

Yeah, the first couple days I thought there was definitely something wrong with my MS as i wasn't prepared for all the clickety-clacking, whooshing and buzzing noises.

It makes more noise than a pinball machine at times. Come to think of it, I imagine the MS does have quite a few solenoids lurking in there somewhere...

11. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I know what you mean by the living thing in the garage. Sometimes I walk out, with car simply sitting there, and it starts making all these groans, buzzes and clicks. Cracks me up, actually. But the sound you are describing sounds like the contactors engaging/disengaging the battery pack. I don't know all about it, but from what I have read, if you hear a "clunk", rather than a click, I would call Tesla. There are many posts about the "dreaded clunk", where the car simply dies right then and there on the road.

Might be nothing. But worth a quick call.